Bob Joyce: Did he really say that? | The Boneyard

Bob Joyce: Did he really say that?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I was re-watching the exhibition game today. Thought I heard something unusual. At about the 37:15 mark on the YouTube video, late in the first half, Gabby blocks a shot. It sounds like Bob said "Gabby says get that outta here." It was short of close to "shet." Maybe he meant shot and he made a slight slip of the brain. Anyway, it's not something you hear every day, and the 8th-grader in me found it amusing. Anyone else catch it?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I heard the same thing and thought , "get WHAT outta here??" I was amazed the analyst didn't say anything !

:p

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I was re-watching the exhibition game today. Thought I heard something unusual. At about the 37:15 mark on the YouTube video, late in the first half, Gabby blocks a shot. It sounds like Bob said "Gabby says get that outta here." It was short of close to "shet." Maybe he meant shot and he made a slight slip of the brain. Anyway, it's not something you hear every day, and the 8th-grader in me found it amusing. Anyone else catch it?

By the way - can you recommend your favorite recording of your 10th symphony? Just the parts you actually finished.

Thanks in advance ! :D

Reaction Score
I thought I heard "Get that s&@$ out of here." Replayed it and still thought the same thing."

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Heard here too. I like Bob Joyce’s work; he’s a smart pro. His descriptions are typically clear and easy to follow. But he does drive me a little more crazy with his butchered pronunciation of “Collier.” He morphs poor Pheese’s surname into “Ki-er” or some such. And maybe it’s a Northeastern-ism, but the game is played in four quarters, not “kwatters.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, that’s what I heard. The “s*#t” was slightly muffled by Joyce, who I suspect hopes nobody noticed. Good thing the BY is around to praise Joyce for his eloquence. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yup- I caught it too.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I thought I heard "Get that s&@$ out of here." Replayed it and still thought the same thing."

Me three. That's what it sounded like to me. I think he got excited, and let one slip. Joyce was probably just as excited as we were to begin the season, and to be back on the sidelines calling the game. :p

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Lol...Bob Joyce was into the game a little too much :). We won't hold it against him. I wonder if they told him what he said at halftime?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
That happens.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Heck, It wasn't anything you can't hear on any 5th grade playground any day of the week. And in many 5th grade classrooms.
LOL. Well, you are certainly correct on that. And a lot worse.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That phrase has been used a long time on the blacktop,lol.
I just heard him say that (watching the game)... then he said he wasn't as hip as Debbie lol

Reaction Score
Actually the mispronunciation of Colliers name bothers me more than that. Bobs really good though. Love him.

Reaction Score
I just heard him say that (watching the game)... then he said he wasn't as hip as Debbie lol
I just remember hearing and using it when I started playing as a 8 year old playing against the older guys in the hood,lol.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
By the way - can you recommend your favorite recording of your 10th symphony? Just the parts you actually finished.

Thanks in advance ! :D
Hi VAMike23,

I have six recordings, all but one are from somewhat lesser lights. The only "name" conductor I have is Bernstein - Complete Recordings on Deutsche Grammophon Vol. III, Wiener Phil. It is the best performance, recording not bad. Not sure if it's still available.

Of the lesser lights, Rafael Kubelik with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra is sound-wise the most pleasing in general, though there is some noise. Performance not as good, technically or musically.

Of course, you probably can't go wrong with Solti and Chicago.

Happy listening!

Reaction Score
Haha - did anyone notice in today’s game (Ashland) (2nd quarter, I think) Gabby blocked a shot and Bob said, “Get that junk out of here!”

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Heard here too. I like Bob Joyce’s work; he’s a smart pro. His descriptions are typically clear and easy to follow. But he does drive me a little more crazy with his butchered pronunciation of “Collier.” He morphs poor Pheese’s surname into “Ki-er” or some such. And maybe it’s a Northeastern-ism, but the game is played in four quarters, not “kwatters.”
I don't know if this is a "Northeastern-ism" or not, but I always thought Syracuse was pronounced "sear" as in syrup. Bob says Saracuse. Seems like I've heard others say that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't know if this is a "Northeastern-ism" or not, but I always thought Syracuse was pronounced "sear" as in syrup. Bob says Saracuse. Seems like I've heard others say that.
I lived there for 5 years and everyone in the Salt City pronounces it “sear”-acuse. Joyce’s pronounciation sounds like something you might hear south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Reaction Score
Admit it Gus,Hank Williams'Little fugue in g minor is as good as any of em'.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom