Boatright Thread | The Boneyard

Boatright Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good game by Boat and I wanted to give him his own thread. He has matured so much. Compared to last year he has become what we all were expecting. No longer a bull in a China shop, he appears calculated and under control. Sure he can improve but he's a junior and on pace to be perhaps Bazz like (next year). His block last night was his UConn signature play and should be talked about. I am satisfied with his play and looking forward to watching him this season.

By the way turnovers are way down!!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He played great defense on Hanlan. His jump shot was a bit off, but he didn't let that get to him. Would love to see him keep taking advantage of the new hand check rules and take players off the dribble more.

Reaction Score
Not that its really a bad thing but he still clearly looks to Daniels and bazz whenever passing. Even on that fast break pass to Daniels he had Omar open but he took a couple extra dribbles to throw the no look to Daniels.

Not complaining because he's still making much smarter decisions this year, just an observation

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Not that its really a bad thing but he still clearly looks to Daniels and bazz whenever passing. Even on that fast break pass to Daniels he had Omar open but he took a couple extra dribbles to throw the no look to Daniels.

Not complaining because he's still making much smarter decisions this year, just an observation

I noticed that as well. But can you blame Boat for favoring DD in transition? He's long, athletic, and it takes him 2 full strides to get from the 3 pt line to the hoop.

Boat has been better this year, but still not as composed as I'd like him to be. If Bazz had left, we would need a better floor general than Boat has been. He's certainly working on it, deliberately so, and I have noticed some improvement. But there are still certain scenarios where he over-dribbles and gets himself into trouble or where he needs to control the pace of the game better.

Also, his jumper isn't as reliable as Shabazz's (even though Bazz was off yesterday), so he needs to stop trying to do the same type of pull-up or fade-away jumper unless it's his only option or its late in the shot clock. He misses some guys when they're open (I saw Giffey open in the corner for 3 twice on his penetration yesterday), and he does seem to favor some players over others as huskiesnhoos mentioned above.

I would like to see Boat get in the lane a little more and learn to initiate contact or manipulate the defender like Bazz does. He is quick enough to get by someone but he's not as strong for his size as Bazz is (or Kemba). He needs to create contact to draw fouls or at least have the defender moving away from him to create space for himself. I am happy that Boat has done a fairly good job of cutting down on his turnovers, but he still does make a boneheaded play from time-to-time.

His defense is improving. I haven't noticed him get blown by an opposing guard as much this year (so far). His block at the end of the game was definitely risky, but a great play none-the-less. He's sometimes TOO aggressive reaching in for the ball but I like that he's a pesky defender.

Improvement is the key. He's definitely improved. I hope he continues to do so as the season progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom