Boatright Situation | The Boneyard

Boatright Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's a lot I don't understand about college basketball recruiting and eligibility rules but would someone please kindly explain to me why the day before a freshman's debut game, his eligibility is all of a sudden come into question? Boatright has been committed to us for a year, and just now the NCAA makes a last minute call? Do they have a special investigating committee that only focuses on UCONN? If he violated an AAU rule, would we lose him for the season? Just wondering.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I think the overall impression is we don't know anything about it. Hopefully it's nothing and he'll be around soon. But nobody seems to have an inside line on this.

Reaction Score
Because they have probably known for quite a while but if they don't have to say anythng they won't so you find out at the last minute becasue they have to sit him so they finally have to say something about it. If they got the decision yesterday nobody would know a thing. Hopefully it gets resolved as fast as Cam Newton or Ohio State but somehow I doubt it.

Reaction Score
It's almost certainly more than them just saying the day before the game that he is ineligible. UConn has probably known the investigation was going on for a while and it just didn't wrap up as quickly as they thought. For all we know UConn may have just found out a little while ago about a potential violation and reported it.

Reaction Score
Jacobs tweeted it has something to do with an AAU team or something... hopefully nothing to do with improper benefits or a handler because that could get ugly

Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice that he was the one dancing in the middle of the huddle after opening lineups? Would Calhoun allow him to do that if it was potentially a serious violation?

Or am I reading too much into this?

Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice that he was the one dancing in the middle of the huddle after opening lineups? Would Calhoun allow him to do that if it was potentially a serious violation?

I think you're reading too much into this.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was getting prepared for the possible slim PG situation... Brendan Allen had 12 minutes

Key word 'possible'

Reaction Score
Calhoun was getting prepared for the possible slim PG situation... Brendan Allen had 12 minutes

Key word 'possible'

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Brendan Allen take over for D-Bev's role, regardless of what happens with Boatright. I know that seems crazy, given that he is a walk-on but the staff seems to like the kid a lot (which is what I'm basing this opinion off of). He could be useful as a 3rd PG to spell Bazz and Boatright and play 5-7 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
I think now that the word is out, the reporters will be all over this and we will find out exactly what it is very soon.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
JayBilas Jay Bilas

NCAA investigating Ryan Boatright's eligibility. I hope he didn't play ball without the NCAA's say so! FREE ABRO!!

Reaction Score
I know we are looking for any morsel so this is from the courant:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-ryan-boatright-1103-20111102,0,5806186.story

"UConn said the issue is not related to academics. Boatright enrolled in classes last summer. The Courant's Jeff Jacobs reported it involves a situation regarding his AAU team in Chicago.

Asked if he could comment on it, Jim Calhoun said, "No. … I watched Bill Belichick today and I enjoyed it. I loved his answers: 'Nope' … 'Yep' … But, no, we're not going to comment on it. It is what it is. There's probably 35 or 40 kids right now in similar situations. It always seems to drag into the season, maybe because of the sheer numbers."

Calhoun said he had no idea how long it might take to complete the process.

"We look forward to getting him back," he said.

At that point, Calhoun stopped.

Reaction Score
Just saw an article on ESPN .com where a Maryland player named Len got suspended by the NCAA for 10 games for amatuerism issues hope that was more serious then Boats

Reaction Score

You could probably answer your own question by quoting the NCAA regulation about "dancing in the middle of huddles".

Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
Just saw an article on ESPN .com where a Maryland player named Len got suspended by the NCAA for 10 games for amatuerism issues hope that was more serious then Boats

Amateurism refers to taking money and getting paid.
Breaking regulations on AAU games is an Abromaitis type situation.

Reaction Score
Damm it's always something. Was really dissapointed in seeing this first thing this morning on the espn ticker. Can only hope its resolved very quickly and he's back . We really need him this year at that position big time.

Reaction Score
I feel like NCAA recruiting violations are like holding in the NFL. It pretty much occurs every time with every player, yet they call it sort of whenever they deem necessary. Honestly though, I'm sure you could find a minor recruiting violation with every single recruit. This boatright situation is pissing me off. We really need him, and I really cant wait to see him play. Get this over with NCAA.

Reaction Score
A couple of things here...I'm guessing they knew about this for a while and hoped it would be cleaned up earlier. But remember too, UCONN is now on probation, so things will get looked at more closely, that is part of the deal unfortunately. But if you look at what has happened at Providence and St Johns with respect to kids being found ineligible, I'm not sure you could say UCONN is the focus of any vendetta. I sort of agree with you, 32, as far as basketball recruiting. I think the AAU and all the related things are a huge cesspool and you almost can't avoid getting covered with slop if you get involved in it. Along with changes to the NCAA eligibility requirements, it would make sense for someone new to oversee the amature basketball. USA Basketball, the NCAA, somebody...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A couple of things here...I'm guessing they knew about this for a while and hoped it would be cleaned up earlier. But remember too, UCONN is now on probation, so things will get looked at more closely, that is part of the deal unfortunately. But if you look at what has happened at Providence and St Johns with respect to kids being found ineligible, I'm not sure you could say UCONN is the focus of any vendetta. I sort of agree with you, 32, as far as basketball recruiting. I think the AAU and all the related things are a huge cesspool and you almost can't avoid getting covered with slop if you get involved in it. Along with changes to the NCAA eligibility requirements, it would make sense for someone new to oversee the amature basketball. USA Basketball, the NCAA, somebody...
upstater, had a good reference a while back which discussed the involvement of these programs in basketball. It not only implicated a wide number of programs including Gonzaga, but showed that past NCAA President was hired by one of the groups.

Reaction Score
Let's hope the NCAA clears this up quicker than CL&P restores the power to the CT residents. Let's see who gets the job done first. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom