Boatright mom's Xmas money | The Boneyard

Boatright mom's Xmas money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the Courant today, the NCAA is investigating money deposited in her account at Christmas time which according to her was given to them for the holidays. How much money is being alleged it does not say.

Reaction Score
"Duhon's mother, Vivian Harper, landed a job working for a Duke booster; co-workers say the job opening was never posted and that Harper was overpaid and lacked qualifications."
She fell behind on her mortgage payments when in LA yet she bought a house when she arrived in NC and bought a new car for herself and one for Chris.

Yet I don't recall the NCAA asking for her bank statements.

Reaction Score
"Duhon's mother, Vivian Harper, landed a job working for a Duke booster; co-workers say the job opening was never posted and that Harper was overpaid and lacked qualifications."
She fell behind on her mortgage payments when in LA yet she bought a house when she arrived in NC and bought a new car for herself and one for Chris.

Your singing to the choir, but I'm just trying to get a handle on what is being alleged. If the NCAA wants to go down this road there going to need so many employees that the country's unemployment problem may disappear.

Reaction Score

Do you have a link for that article? (Not doubting, just curious to read more about it.) Thanks!

Reaction Score

I'm not looking to throw gas on the fire but didn't Marcus Williams mother do something very similar during his final season at Uconn? Seems she moved from Compton? I don't know about her employment situation in CT. From what I know about Compton, not many would have the means to do this and find employment across the country on a moments notice. Read the whole NYT article and there's not one reference to Chris Duhon or his mother? The article was a bit disturbing though. The point is I think alot of these investigations are prompted by rival shools finger pointing. If we all just focused on our own compliance issues, we would be much better off. Just saying.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm not looking to throw gas on the fire but didn't Marcus Williams mother do something very similar during his final season at Uconn? Seems she moved from Compton? I don't know about her employment situation in CT. From what I know about Compton, not many would have the means to do this and find employment across the country on a moments notice. Read the whole NYT article and there's not one reference to Chris Duhon or his mother? The article was a bit disturbing though. The point is I think alot of these investigations are prompted by rival shools finger pointing. If we all just focused on our own compliance issues, we would be much better off. Just saying.

If it was during his final season, it wasn't exactly at a moment's notice.

Reaction Score

Housing prices in NC are historically at least a 3rd lower than in Los Angeles. Maybe she was able to sell hers for 200,000 and buy one in NC for 130,000 giving her money to spare for a car or two.

Who gives money to a single mom so that she will have it to spend for Christmas? Unless she has rich parents or a sugar daddy the NCAA may have a case. She shouldn't have allowed access to her bank accounts. Hindsight is 20/20.

Reaction Score
even if they find nothing wrong it always looks bad when there's money involved.

caw

Reaction Score
Housing prices in NC are historically at least a 3rd lower than in Los Angeles. Maybe she was able to sell hers for 200,000 and buy one in NC for 130,000 giving her money to spare for a car or two.

Who gives money to a single mom so that she will have it to spend for Christmas? Unless she has rich parents or a sugar daddy the NCAA may have a case. She shouldn't have allowed access to her bank accounts. Hindsight is 20/20.

I can't tell if this is serious...

Family/Friends/Churches/Neighbours.

Reaction Score

The point is, why didnt the NCAA go through all her finances and bank accounts? Maybe it happened the way you said, but maybe it didn't. It's all speculation.

Reaction Score
You know, none of those cases, Duhon, et al, really matters. As an old friend of mine used to say, times change and things change. It really doesn't matter what happened then. This is the way they are enforcing the rules now.

By the way, how many of you have people deposit money into your bank accounts? What a mess!

caw

Reaction Score
You know, none of those cases, Duhon, et al, really matters. As an old friend of mine used to say, times change and things change. It really doesn't matter what happened then. This is the way they are enforcing the rules now.

By the way, how many of you have people deposit money into your bank accounts? What a mess!

I have deposited money into other peoples accounts for various reasons. Mainly because they trusted me and I trusted them to pay me back.

Reaction Score
Probably not. It was Slidell, Louisiana, not Los angeles

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
we need either a stud pg in this class or a juco 1 now. before i thought we wouldn't need a pg at all but its pretty obvious now that we may have a issue or doomsdam at that spot. lamb goes, prob. bazz goes, maybe. boat comes back ever? omar comin and then who...who ever it is, they need to give us 30 minutes next year a game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Um, lots of people? I've given money to people for things that made sense, that didn't make sense, for things I understood and for things that I didn't understand - Christmas, plane tickets, sick mothers in Ecuador, etc., etc.

It's what people do for other people.

And for the nitwit above trying to compare Marcus Williams' mom to Chris Duhon's - please. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't try so hard to demonstrate it - a short "I'm ignorant" will do nicely.

Williams' mom came out for his last year - she rented an apartment, took care of her kid and then left when he did. She didn't work for a UConn booster, didn't buy new cars all around and surely did not buy a house. Oh, and the Williams' family is pleasantly middle-class, despite what your lily-white ass no doubt assumed about 'em.

Reaction Score
we need either a stud pg in this class or a juco 1 now. before i thought we wouldn't need a pg at all but its pretty obvious now that we may have a issue or doomsdam at that spot. lamb goes, prob. bazz goes, maybe. boat comes back ever? omar comin and then who...who ever it is, they need to give us 30 minutes next year a game.
What is with all this doom and gloom for the UCONN program. Shabazz isn't going anywhere as his game is definitely not strong enough to sniff the NBA right now as he a short, slow shooting Guard in the NBA. Like AO I don't see any GM wasting his pick on someone who isn't ready for the NBA at their position. It's not like he has amazing athletic ability and is just growing into his game. Shabazz is what he is. A solid shooter with a decent handle who needs lots more work in running a team. Now if you think we need a backup PG because RB might not be back I agree totally about this. No way can we live with one PG and not enough backup ball handlers again.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
What is with all this doom and gloom for the UCONN program. Shabazz isn't going anywhere as his game is definitely not strong enough to sniff the NBA right now as he a short, slow shooting Guard in the NBA. Like AO I don't see any GM wasting his pick on someone who isn't ready for the NBA at their position. It's not like he has amazing athletic ability and is just growing into his game. Shabazz is what he is. A solid shooter with a decent handle who needs lots more work in running a team. Now if you think we need a backup PG because RB might not be back I agree totally about this. No way can we live with one PG and not enough backup ball handlers again.
i'm not doom and gloom. i'm being realistic with what the staff is scrambling/thinking right now.
1) what happens if boat is gone
2) yea i know shabazz isn't ready for the nba and so on. but at his size and him being younger by most others in the draft by 2 years this may be his highest point of stock he can get. therefore how would you pass up the $$. he has great vision and has shown that he can score. his bigs are not developed, you know gms are thinking well if i put him with howard, amare and so on down the line...do you think doug gotlieb just blurts out random things? for all the hate we give him(and yes he deserves it) he was saying it becuase thats what he was told, just like the roscoe smith decommit stuff. gary called him up and said, im gona try to get smith back now that uconn is in trouble. so doug said it on air. this pg class was supose to be extremely deep just like the rest of this draft coming up. but if you look around all of those guys aren't exactly setting themselve apart form the pack. the wics kid, the xavier kid, scoop and so on. so gm's go looking for the best potential thinking if all these guys are about even then i can grab 1 if needed later on becuase not all will get drafted. i'm not saying bazz is a done dela gonner. but i think ppl here need to come back from mars and realize whats going on somewhat.

Reaction Score
i'm not doom and gloom. i'm being realistic with what the staff is scrambling/thinking right now.
1) what happens if boat is gone
2) yea i know shabazz isn't ready for the nba and so on. but at his size and him being younger by most others in the draft by 2 years this may be his highest point of stock he can get. therefore how would you pass up the $$. he has great vision and has shown that he can score. his bigs are not developed, you know gms are thinking well if i put him with howard, amare and so on down the line...do you think doug gotlieb just blurts out random things? for all the hate we give him(and yes he deserves it) he was saying it becuase thats what he was told, just like the roscoe smith decommit stuff. gary called him up and said, im gona try to get smith back now that uconn is in trouble. so doug said it on air. this pg class was supose to be extremely deep just like the rest of this draft coming up. but if you look around all of those guys aren't exactly setting themselve apart form the pack. the wics kid, the xavier kid, scoop and so on. so gm's go looking for the best potential thinking if all these guys are about even then i can grab 1 if needed later on becuase not all will get drafted. i'm not saying bazz is a done dela gonner. but i think ppl here need to come back from mars and realize whats going on somewhat.
Yes, I think DG likes to spurt things out with no real understanding like what he said about KW in last year's draft. I wouldn't call DG the man of great insight. Now look at Shabazz he is barely 6'0" tall if that and he isn't quick enough to play PG. He is a good shooter but I won't call him a guy that can run an offense unless you think think making a trick pass and going one on one all the time is showing off great PG traits. He will get brutalized in the NBA with his size and skill set on defense. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. Will he still turn into a great College PG? Maybe but until I see better skills running an offense and playing defense with his feet and not his hands I just don't see it. I respect your opinion but Shabazz isn't going anywhere unless he wants to play in the NBDL next year.

Reaction Score
White people don't give each other money when they're in need of it? This is really shocking to some of ya'll? I average about 20 smh moments per day reading this board.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Yes, I think DG likes to spurt things out with no real understanding like what he said about KW in last year's draft. I wouldn't call DG the man of great insight. Now look at Shabazz he is barely 6'0" tall if that and he isn't quick enough to play PG. He is a good shooter but I won't call him a guy that can run an offense unless you think think making a trick pass and going one on one all the time is showing off great PG traits. He will get brutalized in the NBA with his size and skill set on defense. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. Will he still turn into a great College PG? Maybe but until I see better skills running an offense and playing defense with his feet and not his hands I just don't see it. I respect your opinion but Shabazz isn't going anywhere unless he wants to play in the NBDL next year.

thats the exact definition of a nba pg

C

Chief00

The NCAA has gone from ridiculous to annoying. Emmert being passed up years ago for the UConn Prez job and the clash between Emmert in his Academic Affairs role and Calhoun at the time makes this downright personal. Throw in the AD loophole Calhoun found in the scholarship reduction intent - and it's warfare. As I said before it is bad.

Having said that the NYT has raised the profile of this and now that he has what - is it 3 times the punishment GATES got for sucker punching an opponent (maybe 3 games vs. 9) - they are going to get some heat. I hear tomorrow is the day - unless they want to wait another day to see Calhoun dangle in the wind....again Boatright is just a means to an end - making it difficult for Calhoun to run a program is their focus.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I have to think we can't be talking about a large sum of money here. If it were say 10k or 25k, she wouldn't be so quick to cooperate. Just lawyer up and tell the NCAA to pound sand. If they can't find anything, what could they do at the end of the day? they need evidence, and they can't subpoena

that may be what happened in Newton's case

the fact that they turned it over so quickly makes me think they have nothing (or little) to hide

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
this whole situation is Stop. does any one really give a if some aau coach gave this kids mom some money for christmas? what about if ryan didnt even know? These ncaa regulators are out of control. Theyre so busy with like this that let major violent crime coverups go on at other colleges. Theyre doing absolutely nothing to protect these kids...they're doin the complete opposite they're hindering their success now. its sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom