Board of Trustees to appoint new UConn president Wednesday (9/28/22) | The Boneyard

Board of Trustees to appoint new UConn president Wednesday (9/28/22)

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn should be worried about if they can get into BiG 10 or ACC or any other conference at this time. The 5 year goals should be; Academic Excellence,continued strong performance in all men's and women's sports, build a 'watchable football team- against competitive opponents.
#1 agenda item is find a competent University President-What a disaster at the top!

UConn just dumped a pile of cash to leave AAC to join Big East and go Indy in Football
Let's let the dust settle and checks clear before looking at the next move ...
UConn just named President - good news.Hopefully, she takes a strong leadership position in both academics and athletics

Reaction Score
UConn just named President - good news.Hopefully, she takes a strong leadership position in both academics and athletics
Don't count that she understands the role of excellent athletics found in almost all major public research universities. She is from another country and studied at foreign universities. I wish her well but she needs to realize that environmentally friendly research -- what she spent her life on -- will not alone make UConn a top university.

Reaction Score
Wish they had reappointed Tom Katsouleas. He was the No. 2 guy at UVA and was a dean at Duke before Storrs. When UPenn, an Ivy League school, recently selected a president they took the No. 2 person at UVA: “Liz” Magill. What is wrong with us?.

Reaction Score
I wish her well, but I find this hire disappointing for athletics. She has no experience at any other US university so I doubt she has any high level contacts at other universities. It seems like they hired someone who will do what the trustees want instead of setting an independent path.

Reaction Score
Don't count that she understands the role of excellent athletics found in almost all major public research universities. She is from another country and studied at foreign universities. I wish her well but she needs to realize that environmentally friendly research -- what she spent her life on -- will not alone make UConn a top university.
As much as I find it annoying a firm was hired to conduct a thorough search only to hire the interim president, I would hope the firm and the board had discussions about athletics and their place in the university prior to agreeing to the hire. That being said I am somewhat underwhelmed in the decision, but hopefully she is strong and stays for a while, the turnstile presidents have gotten old.

Reaction Score
Wish they had reappointed Tom Katsouleas. He was the No. 2 guy at UVA and was a dean at Duke before Storrs. When UPenn, an Ivy League school, recently selected a president they took the No. 2 person at UVA: “Liz” Magill. What is wrong with us?.
I believe he resigned.

Reaction Score
She's been with the university for a dozen years, all 3 of her kids graduated from UConn. She has been present at many sporting events even in her interim role. I think she gets it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I believe he resigned.
Plus he decided to give away you can only product without consulting the board of trustees ahead of time

Reaction Score
TomKat did not want to play games with the subpar UConn Board of Trustees, he knew how to get UConn to the next level, but the powers that be were simply too greedy for power.

Reaction Score
Take a look at the search committee that hired. The most influential people on that committee are very pro athletics.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not my clowns, not my circus. Her hiring doesn't really directly or indirectly affect me.

In general I would think a state flagship university could hire someone who has been a president at a college or university at some level prior to being president at UConn.

I'll give benefit of the doubt she was the best candidate, but I don't think her hiring speaks highly of the pool of candidates.

Reaction Score
Not my clowns, not my circus. Her hiring doesn't really directly or indirectly affect me.

In general I would think a state flagship university could hire someone who has been a president at a college or university at some level prior to being president at UConn.

I'll give benefit of the doubt she was the best candidate, but I don't think her hiring speaks highly of the pool of candidates.
Chin: There are a lot of openings right now for college presidents. So some of the likely choices would have multiple offers, I wish her the best but she will have to prove herself on the job.

Reaction Score
They supposedly interviewed 4 candidates that are presidents of current AAU institutions.

Without any insider knowledge and looking at the AAU list, I would guess that included the presidents of Stony Brook, UC Santa Cruz, Brandeis, and Boston University. Maybe not UC Santa Cruz, but the other 3 feel pretty reasonable.

Reaction Score
They supposedly interviewed 4 candidates that are presidents of current AAU institutions.

Without any insider knowledge and looking at the AAU list, I would guess that included the presidents of Stony Brook, UC Santa Cruz, Brandeis, and Boston University. Maybe not UC Santa Cruz, but the other 3 feel pretty reasonable.
I hope they picked the best candidate. Those are some pretty impressive universities.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

While one can never discount discovering the next big star, this is the correct answer. You would think a top public flagship would be able to attract an up and comer with a proven track record at a smaller institution or better yet and established person with a proven track record at a peer or better institution.

I don't pretend to understand the career dynamics of university administrators but I feel like most are not at their postions very long (<10yrs). They are like FB coaches that way.

Reaction Score
I don't pretend to understand the career dynamics of university administrators but I feel like most are not at their postions very long (<10yrs). They are like FB coaches that way.

Tenures are becoming less and less…
Interesting overall read: A fundamental change in hiring college presidents is unfolding

-> We found that the 84 presidents hired in 1975 served from one to 39 years, with an average of 9.1 years; the 138 presidents hired in 2005 served from one to 23 years, with an average of 7.7 years. According to the American Council on Education, presidential tenure was 8.5 years in 2006 and 6.5 years in 2017. While our numbers differ somewhat, the trends are the same. <-

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tenures are becoming less and less…

Which means there's a good chance UConn is renting her for the next 3-5 years until she goes job hunting again.

As your links indicate, State U university president was the culmination of a career in academia and you road that gravy train until you were done and ready to retire to the BoT or state governing board to really top off your retirement income.
Now it seems like president's are being fast-tracked and being named president at a younger age and these high mobility people don't want to sit in the Ivory Tower for 15-20 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom