Bo Pellini... | The Boneyard

Bo Pellini...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN reporting that he accepted the HC position at Youngstown State.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Big pay cut for him, but at least he is coaching again. He is a solid coach that just couldn't bring back the 90's to Nebraska.

Reaction Score
Big pay cut for him, but at least he is coaching again. He is a solid coach that just couldn't bring back the 90's to Nebraska.
I think Nebraska is still paying him so he is actually double dipping

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Good place to stash him for a couple years in case our current situation doesn't improve.

Reaction Score
I think Nebraska is still paying him so he is actually double dipping

Yup...

>>Under the terms of Pelini's contract, Nebraska will owe him as much as $7.65 million over the remaining term in an agreement that runs through Feb. 28, 2019. The deal paid Pelini a base salary of just under $3.1 million for the current contract year, and that amount was scheduled to increase by $100,000 next year.

Pelini is owed $150,000 for each of the 51 full months remaining on the deal ($1.8 million a year), according to his contract, although "within a reasonably brief period following termination," he is required to use his best efforts to find "substantially comparable employment" that generates income to offset Nebraska's obligation to him. Pelini's contract with another employer must be "without structuring or timing (of) compensation to avoid mitigation."<<

Probably making more by taking Youngstown job than an NFL or P5Coordinator job.

Reaction Score
Yup...

>>Under the terms of Pelini's contract, Nebraska will owe him as much as $7.65 million over the remaining term in an agreement that runs through Feb. 28, 2019. The deal paid Pelini a base salary of just under $3.1 million for the current contract year, and that amount was scheduled to increase by $100,000 next year.

Pelini is owed $150,000 for each of the 51 full months remaining on the deal ($1.8 million a year), according to his contract, although "within a reasonably brief period following termination," he is required to use his best efforts to find "substantially comparable employment" that generates income to offset Nebraska's obligation to him. Pelini's contract with another employer must be "without structuring or timing (of) compensation to avoid mitigation."<<

Probably making more by taking Youngstown job than an NFL or P5Coordinator job.
Smart on his part.

Reaction Score
Pellini strikes me as guy that just wants to coach and not deal with the outside pressures and distractions that come with a job like Nebraska. Since Nebraska is continuing to make him wealthy, he can work at what he loves coaching football, without the distractions of boosters and donors as well as the media scrutinity. I bet he will love it till the checks from Nebraska stop coming.

Reaction Score
Pellini strikes me as guy that just wants to coach and not deal with the outside pressures and distractions that come with a job like Nebraska. Since Nebraska is continuing to make him wealthy, he can work at what he loves coaching football, without the distractions of boosters and donors as well as the media scrutinity. I bet he will love it till the checks from Nebraska stop coming.

Incredible when you think about... Tressel and Pellini @ same FCS school.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
He's from Youngstown so while this is a "downgrade" in prestige, it's probably a job he'll enjoy seeing how it's his hometown. I think he'll do great there and will resurface sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
My guess is he wanted this job and the realistic expectations that come with it. Surely, bigger opportunities would be available to him if he was open to them. He jumped on Youngstown right away. He just wants to go home.

Reaction Score
Tressel is the President @ YSU now...
Ignoring all of Tressel's purported ethical cheallenges, that is incredible. Some Penguins' fans must be quite happy to have both him and Pellini. A one time 1-AA powerhouse may return to its past success.

Reaction Score
Pellini is nothing more than Frank Solich with a worse demeanor. He will be mediocre with the Penguins and fade from view--until he erupts on the sideline in another YouTube classic.

Reaction Score
A guy I work with is a big Nebraska guy. He says that he would have been fired even if he went undefeated. They hated him, hated his personality, character, demeanor everything. Nebraska wants a boring Midwestern dude running the show.

Reaction Score
Pellini is nothing more than Frank Solich with a worse demeanor. He will be mediocre with the Penguins and fade from view--until he erupts on the sideline in another YouTube classic.
Frank Solich is a solid coach. Even he wasn't so old, I would have taken him here. Unlike P, he has adapted to the times and his offenses score points and are exciting. Guy won ten games at Ohio, and is 16 games over 16 for his career at that school.

Reaction Score

So, trying to follow your logic here. He was pretty good at Nebraska, but the fuddy duddys in that stupid state and fanbase couldn't handle his demeanor. So he wins at Nebraska, therefore he will suck at Youngstown.

He will automatically give Youngstown an uptick.

Unlike our head coach, he actually knows how to put together a winning gameplan so no problems there.

Youngstown will be winner under him, but my guess is that when some better P5 jobs open up next Nov/Dec he will be on a great many shortlists. Not every fanbase is the Cracker Barrell and Suspenders crowd a la Nebraska.

Also, I would love to hear why you think Frank Solich is also an awful human being.

Reaction Score
Ignoring all of Tressel's purported ethical cheallenges, that is incredible. Some Penguins' fans must be quite happy to have both him and Pellini. A one time 1-AA powerhouse may return to its past success.

zach_barnett 11:13am via TweetDeck
Bo Pelini, at YSU presser: "I have a president that's understands football, something that I don't know I've ever had."

Reaction Score
Solich isn't a bad guy but I wouldn't want him at UConn. Pellinni is a bad guy IMO and I believe he will be a flop at Youngstown St. Tressel and Pellinni are some combo. Let's see---Herbst and Diaco vs Tressel and Pellini. No contest --we win.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Keep an eye on Stitt at Montana. That's gonna be a fun watch.

Reaction Score
There is a little zinger at the Nebraska president -

I like Pelini - he's fiery and a winner, in a drill instructor kind of way.

Pelini has one of those I-talian last names. They don't trust those types out in corn country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom