Blue colored glasses- historical perspective | The Boneyard

Blue colored glasses- historical perspective

Reaction Score
@McLovin used the phrase Blue colored glasses in a recent post and I think it aptly describes how we see things. There is a lot of comparisons lately of this team to a Calhoun coached team. If we look back on the W-L since the 99 championship, given that we win 80% of our remaining games, this season looks like many other Calhoun coached seasons (record wise) and that's a good thing. I remember feeling pretty down after bad losses, even in what turned out to be some of our more successful seasons. I never expected the kemba or bazz teams to win the natty.

The big east is good this year: it's not the AAC. We now have Hawkins emerging as our Kemba,Bazz. We have the supporting players. The attitude is shifting. We've been here before. We'll remember this season very differently after we make a tourney run.

Reaction Score
Yes, I know Bazz team wasn't Calhoun. But we site that year as a success, obviously.

Reaction Score
@McLovin used the phrase Blue colored glasses in a recent post and I think it aptly describes how we see things. There is a lot of comparisons lately of this team to a Calhoun coached team. If we look back on the W-L since the 99 championship, given that we win 80% of our remaining games, this season looks like many other Calhoun coached seasons (record wise) and that's a good thing. I remember feeling pretty down after bad losses, even in what turned out to be some of our more successful seasons. I never expected the kemba or bazz teams to win the natty.

The big east is good this year: it's not the AAC. We now have Hawkins emerging as our Kemba,Bazz. We have the supporting players. The attitude is shifting. We've been here before. We'll remember this season very differently after we make a tourney run.
You're a good man for properly crediting @McLovin for using that 100% original phrase that he made up and was definitely never used before.

Reaction Score
@Get a Job it's necessary to highlight the usage of the phrase though. It only seems to apply retroactively to Calhoun years. Not being a Uconn homer in general.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You're a good man for properly crediting @McLovin for using that 100% original phrase that he made up and was definitely never used before.
It’s funny this got brought up, because I am working on a UConn centric podcast that I am calling “Blue Tinted Glasses”. It’s definitely not my phrase, but I am going to steal it for the title of the show…

Reaction Score
It’s funny this got brought up, because I am working on a UConn centric podcast that I am calling “Blue Tinted Glasses”. It’s definitely not my phrase, but I am going to steal it for the title of the show…
If you need a guest I’m right down the street. Maybe i’ll start a podcast for all the negative sinking ship fans. Woes colored glasses

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good luck with it!
1675441287625.png

Reaction Score
Yes, I know Bazz team wasn't Calhoun. But we site that year as a success, obviously.
The 2014 team had a significantly higher basketball IQ than this year
4 starters who were together for 3and in some cases 4 years
The experience of a 2011 run .
A guard oriented team whose guards had spent 3-4 years with their coach .
A true on floor leader who could translate the plan into action
4 shooters all above or near 40% from the three
Centers who thought inexperienced and flawed knew their roles
Plus
a short but effective bench .
They became a great team with most everyone not noticing when their individual defensive skills ramped up into incredible team defense .
The last paragraph are not my observations but those of Billy Donavan. A great coach in his own right .
This is a much different team bigger more athletic but has.not yet found that magic formula that takes that talent and makes it into something special.

Reaction Score
The 2014 team had a significantly higher basketball IQ than this year
4 starters who were together for 3and in some cases 4 years
The experience of a 2011 run .
A guard oriented team whose guards had spent 3-4 years with their coach .
A true on floor leader who could translate the plan into action
4 shooters all above or near 40% from the three
Centers who thought inexperienced and flawed knew their roles
Plus
a short but effective bench .
They became a great team with most everyone not noticing when their individual defensive skills ramped up into incredible team defense .
The last paragraph are not my observations but those of Billy Donavan. A great coach in his own right .
This is a much different team bigger more athletic but has.not yet found that magic formula that takes that talent and makes it into something special.
In retrospect you site these stats, but that team spent the end of December and most of January unranked, they finished the last few weeks of the season unranked, they lost to an unranked SMU team twice, they lost to an unranked Houston team, they had 7 losses in regular season…they were in the AAC.

If you time travel and put us back there in early February, with that team, unranked, are we happy?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If you need a guest I’m right down the street. Maybe i’ll start a podcast for all the negative sinking ship fans. Woes colored glasses
You’re in Nashville?

Edit: I now see your avatar is Bearded Iris! Let’s get a beer there sometime / watch a game!

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Uh oh I just registered that domain . Make me an offer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom