Blue Blood Recruiting | The Boneyard

Blue Blood Recruiting

Reaction Score
It’s a different universe isn’t it. Nothing to be done about it but it rankles nonetheless.
Storylines to watch
1. Blue bloods getting work done early
We've become accustomed to seeing Duke and Kentucky rebuild their rosters in the spring, after players declare for the NBA draft. And last spring, North Carolina reloaded via late signees and the graduate transfer market. But in the 2020 class, the three blue bloods got their work out of the way early in the cycle. Duke currently has the No. 1 recruiting class, while North Carolina sits at No. 2 and Kentucky is No. 3. Combined, the three schools have 15 commitments; all 15 are in the ESPN 100 (14 in the top 50) and nine are rated as five-star recruits. Duke, with its six commitments, is likely done in 2020. North Carolina, after landing Donovan "Puff" Johnson last week, is probably in the same boat. Kentucky still wants another forward, with five-stars Greg Brown and Isaiah Jackson atop the list.

Reaction Score
It’s easier for them to recruit with their name across their chest. Their brand sells. That’s part of the reason why Hurley came here so he could get ahead of the curve when it comes to recruiting and focus more time on coaching. It sucks when your a team like VCU that is a good basketball program but has to fight and claw for recruits. Not saying we don’t but it’s a different level of branding and recruiting effort. UCLA hasn’t been great in a while, nor have they had a great/consistently productive coach in years, but they still land some 5 star level recruits because of their rich history and the brand they built. Same thing goes for us only we have a maniac that CAN coach. I’m so happy we have him haha.

Reaction Score
**And they all will be freshman, and many will be gone after 1 year, and that's why they are winning less titles than they used too...**

Reaction Score
Um, but if Kentucky is almost done with recruiting, then who lands Cliff?

Reaction Score
Sadly we’re not in the same class as them. We need to recruit like Villanova with high 4* and develop them through out the years. Now that we are going to the Big East it’s very doable.

The beauty of our situation is we will return to the Big East just as we return to being good. Once we are back, a lot of our former swagger will return and it will only take a FF run to put us right back into the blue blood conversation. It isn’t as far away as it seems.

Reaction Score
The beauty of our situation is we will return to the Big East just as we return to being good. Once we are back, a lot of our former swagger will return and it will only take a FF run to put us right back into the blue blood conversation. It isn’t as far away as it seems.
One can only hope

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If the NBA ends up adopting the MLB draft rule (go right out of high school or wait until after three years of college) this will all change. There won’t be as much roster turnover at the blue bloods which creates fewer openings there which will force talent to consider other schools. This will be a good day.

Reaction Score
Sadly we’re not in the same class as them. We need to recruit like Villanova with high 4* and develop them through out the years. Now that we are going to the Big East it’s very doable.
What does going to the Big East have to do with coaching? I can see how we will be more successful due to the lack of any quality teams besides Zvillanova. Has any ream other than Villanova made it past the first weekend of the tourney since the split?

MattMang23

Reaction Score
What does going to the Big East have to do with coaching? I can see how we will be more successful due to the lack of any quality teams besides Zvillanova. Has any ream other than Villanova made it past the first weekend of the tourney since the split?

Do you basketball?

Reaction Score
Um, but if Kentucky is almost done with recruiting, then who lands Cliff?

that article didnt make sense. it Said UK needs a forward but they already have Terrence Clark and Lance Ware at SF and PF, respectively. What they don't have is a center. If not Isaiah Jackson, then it's gotta be Cliff. Do I want him at UConn? of course! just not holding my breath, and assuming Javonte Brown Ferguson signs tomorrow I wont have to.

Reaction Score
Do you basketball?
I said when the major powers left that St Johns PC Seton Hall eat all should be paying us because now they had a chance to win games and even league titles. Villanova has covered a pretty mediocre league that lived on the rep of the old Big East for years. Maybe it has happened but I can’t remember a new Big East team making the Sweet 16 other than Villanova. The rest are the A10 with better pedigrees. It is moving toward being a 4 bid league that watches on tv after the opening weekend. Maybe Villanova continues to carry the league for a while. We shall see.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I said when the major powers left that St Johns PC Seton Hall eat all should be paying us because now they had a chance to win games and even league titles. Villanova has covered a pretty mediocre league that lived on the rep of the old Big East for years. Maybe it has happened but I can’t remember a new Big East team making the Sweet 16 other than Villanova. The rest are the A10 with better pedigrees. It is moving toward being a 4 bid league that watches on tv after the opening weekend. Maybe Villanova continues to carry the league for a while. We shall see.

Yes, the Big East, otherwise known as that “mediocre” league that regularly finishes in the top 3 of conference RPI rankings. Your broken record at least keeps spinning, even with all the cracks in it. Keep at it though, maybe one day the stats will agree with you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you basketball?
It's weird how much this guy loves to show off how little he knows about the sport and how much he hates UConn basketball. Pal embarrasses himself as well but I have no doubt he loves UConn bball.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
It's weird how much this guy loves to show off how little he knows about the sport and how much he hates UConn basketball. Pal embarrasses himself as well but I have no doubt he loves UConn bball.

Yeah, Pal is a fan for sure. He just disagrees on the best course of action for the school’s AD. And that’s fine.

With Free, everything UConn is bad. I think he just likes playing the role of contrarian and trying to rile people up, even if it means he makes himself sound clueless. I see him as a bored old boomer that gets his jollies thinking he’s pushing our buttons.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Pal is a fan for sure. He just disagrees on the best course of action for the school’s AD. And that’s fine.

With Free, everything UConn is bad. I think he just likes playing the role of contrarian and trying to rile people up, even if it means he makes himself sound clueless. I see him as a bored old boomer that gets his jollies thinking he’s pushing our buttons.
Pal does the same "The Big East is a weak basketball league" act but I know he watches the games and roots for them, freescooter I doubt even watches. He was nowhere to be found during our run in 2014 and after we won the National Championship.

Reaction Score

Off the top of my head I know Xavier made the Elite 8 in 2017 after upsetting 1 seed Arizona.

That was so hard to disprove.

Outside of our run in 2014 what has the AAC done? The good teams SMU had choked in the 1st round. Memphis hasn't done anything. I certainly don't have to look up Cincinnati to know about Cronin's first weekend flops. Houston's best team in 30 years made the Sweet 16.

And those are the good teams. We want to get into ECU and Tulane?

Reaction Score
The Big East has been in the conversation after the first weekend four out of the last 5 years.

2015 - Xavier sweet 16
2016 - Nova National Champs
2017 - Butler sweet 16, Xavier elite 8
2018 - Nova National Champs

Reaction Score
Problem with recycling freshman? You risk losing to Evansville.

Reaction Score
You could at least do a little research to make sure you're using facts. Just kills your entire argument when you're not. Google is pretty easy to use.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Take the 20 bucks you spent on crack and put it towards Ken Pom.

Reaction Score

The stupidity of this post is nothing if not breathtaking

Reaction Score
Yes, the Big East, otherwise known as that “mediocre” league that regularly finishes in the top 3 of conference RPI rankings. Your broken record at least keeps spinning, even with all the cracks in it. Keep at it though, maybe one day the stats will agree with you.
RPI is a pseudo scientific metric. Look at performance in the NCAA tournament and tell me the last time a Big East team other than Villanova went past the 1st weekend. It is the basketball equivalent of ACC football. Villanova and the 7 dwarfs. And if the Wildcats take a step back the whole house of cards will collapse. But hey, MSG BABBY!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
RPI is a pseudo scientific metric. Look at performance in the NCAA tournament and tell me the last time a Big East team other than Villanova went past the 1st weekend. It is the basketball equivalent of ACC football. Villanova and the 7 dwarfs. And if the Wildcats take a step back the whole house of cards will collapse. But hey, MSG BABBY!

None of that matters. They still get the bid respect of any top league. And will continue to do so. On average, they'll be a 5-7 bid league going forward.

They've got 7 in the Top 50 KP, and 9 in the Top 65. Yeah it's early, but they're strong throughout the conference this year. Might end up the #2 conference when all said and done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom