Bloomberg article; UConn in NYC means big $ | The Boneyard

Bloomberg article; UConn in NYC means big $

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There was a seat for sale for $65K on StubHub the other day. I'm guessing that makes you a walk-on for the team of your choice.

Reaction Score
Makes me want the B1G more than ever. The NY market is clearly impacted by UConn's presence. If the ACC didn't recognize that when they took Syra...., Pitt and Louisville then how ..k smart are they? If they caved to the demands of the wanna be thug AD from the underachieving parochial school in Boston, then how ..k smart are they? Like was often said during Watergate about the "President's men", these guys are just not that smart. Do we want to be part of a conference run by them? I don't . Go B1G!!

Reaction Score
Makes me want the B1G more than ever. The NY market is clearly impacted by UConn's presence. If the ACC didn't recognize that when they took Syra...., Pitt and Louisville then how ..k smart are they? If they caved to the demands of the wanna be thug AD from the underachieving parochial school in Boston, then how ..k smart are they? Like was often said during Watergate about the "President's men", these guys are just not that smart. Do we want to be part of a conference run by them? I don't . Go B1G!!

They added Notre Dame for Olympic Sports. Shows they are as smart as the Big East was.

Reaction Score
They added Notre Dame for Olympic Sports. Shows they are as smart as the Big East was.

How smart was that? Do you think for a moment that ND feels any "football" loyalty to the ACC. I would love to see the GOR addendum for ND. Do you think ND is left with some "outs" when it comes to football?

Reaction Score
If folks put down their petty differences and used common business sense, they would quickly put UCONN in the ACC with Cuse and BC. Frankly, it should have been Rutgers as well. That gives the best overall northeast regional coverage for college football - and it's all about regional coverage for those programs. Throw ND in the mix and you have some really great gates.

On the hoops side it's absolutely perfect and with Cuse, UCONN and ND in NYC. You have tremendous draw. You do the conference tourney in alternating years at MSG and then either Charlotte or Atlanta.

It's absolutely the right thing to do for EVERYONE and EVERYONE will make money. Of course, when interests are limited to what one sees in the mirror, then UCONN is a threat that needs to be avoided. Yeah, BC and Cuse...........

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The article like this that clearly illustrates how valuable UConn is. So what is UConn going to do about it?

Reaction Score
The article like this that clearly illustrates how valuable UConn is. So what is UConn going to do about it?

It's a fair and important question, but I would ask it slightly differently.

So what can UCONN do about it that it has not already done?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Start winning football games in teh AAC and go to the B1G.

Nelson - Don't know whats funnier, you being proven an idiot or you just going all-in on stupid.

Reaction Score
How does UConn do against midwestern schools anyway?

2003: UConn 37, Iowa St. (Seneca Wallace) 20 @Iowa St.
2004: UConn 34, Indiana 10
2006: UConn 14, Indiana 7 @Indiana
2009: UConn 33, Notre Dame 30 @South Bend
2010: Michigan 30, UConn 10 @Ann Arbor
2011: Iowa State 24, UConn 20
2013: Michigan 24, UConn 21

Well, UConn started well, but last 3 times out were disappointments. Still, that record shows UConn can hang.

As for southern schools, wins over Vanderbilt, South Carolina, 2 wins over Robert Griffin's Baylor, a blowout over Virginia, wins over Duke, Maryland and Wake Forest, close games (3 points) with NC State and North Carolina, not to mention UConn's winning record combined against Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville, shows that UConn football could also hang in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Nelson - Don't know whats funnier, you being proven an idiot or you just going all-in on stupid.

Sometimes I ask myself if what I'm posting is something I would say to someone in person. Just a thought..........

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Sometimes I ask myself if what I'm posting is something I would say to someone in person. Just a thought.....

Yeah. Maybe I should curl up in a ball and beg forgiveness like Jimmy Serrano did to Joe Zone.

Or not.

Reaction Score
If folks put down their petty differences and used common business sense, they would quickly put UCONN in the ACC with Cuse and BC. Frankly, it should have been Rutgers as well. That gives the best overall northeast regional coverage for college football - and it's all about regional coverage for those programs. Throw ND in the mix and you have some really great gates.

On the hoops side it's absolutely perfect and with Cuse, UCONN and ND in NYC. You have tremendous draw. You do the conference tourney in alternating years at MSG and then either Charlotte or Atlanta.

It's absolutely the right thing to do for EVERYONE and EVERYONE will make money. Of course, when interests are limited to what one sees in the mirror, then UCONN is a threat that needs to be avoided. Yeah, BC and Cuse......

ACC adding UL over UCONN will go down as one of the dumbest decision in realignment ever made. If they are being smart, they could have added both. No, ACC is just like the old BE. They are all about reaction and make decision by the seed of their pants. ACC giving ND the old BE deal with a few more FB games pretty much proved ACC is doomed to blow up just like the old BE.

Reaction Score
UConn needs Kevin Ollie to stay a long time. There's a thread on the realignment page detailing the ages of many ACC coaches who are in their mid-60s and up. Rick Pitino has been jumping around from position to position all his life, and you have to wonder if he has more than 5 years left in him. I know he's young, but he's a little like Belichick, who has said he isn't coaching until he's in his upper 60s. Belichick has about 5 or 6 more years. He retires mid-60s. I bet Pitino is gone before he turns 67-68.

All these schools have to be worried about what happens when they have to replace icons like K., Boeheim, Pitino, Roy Williams. duke and UNC are not going to collapse. They can suffer through some bad years and bring back a top coach eventually, but given what happened to UNC and Kentucky, the whole process can play out over a decade. Syracuse is in unchartered water. Louisville has been through it before with Crum, but there's no guarantee that they hit upon the right hire again.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Start winning football games in teh AAC and go to the B1G.

Your best, most insightful post brings less to the discussion on this board than my throw away ramblings. I can't remember you ever having anything intelligent to say on any topic, and most of your posts are much like this one. Generic, nondescript, insults that you think are funny.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's a fair and important question, but I would ask it slightly differently.

So what can UCONN do about it that it has not already done?

This is where we are. "we tried" is not good enough. UConn's athletic program is toast if it can not a) find significantly more revenue, and b) upgrade its schedule for the major sports, within 5 years.

Reaction Score
Your best, most insightful post brings less to the discussion on this board than my throw away ramblings. I can't remember you ever having anything intelligent to say on any topic, and most of your posts are much like this one. Generic, nondescript, insults that you think are funny.
Ironically, you both have creepy looking avatars. Is that your pride and joy in life?

Reaction Score
Yeah. Maybe I should curl up in a ball and beg forgiveness like Jimmy Serrano did to Joe Zone.

Or not.

Well then.....think of it as a continuum.

curl up in a ball.........................speak your mind.....................being a bag

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Smart enough to hold out for 5 games a year in the contract.

The arrogance of the Notre Dame fans is really pathetic. Why does being a fan of a good team make you smarter? If I say I am an Alabama fan, does that make me smarter? From now on, when you read my posts, assume that I am a fan of the Miami Heat, Seattle Seahawks, Alabama football, and whoever wins the national championship this year. There, I am smarter now.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Because NYC is the apple in every conference eye, it's tough to not look at these ticket prices and see that UCONN delivers NYC. If you take UCONN out of this Sweet 16 pairing and replace them with any other school left in the tournament, ticket prices drop 40-50%.

To get out of AAC hell, it's up to football (and us fans to sell out the Rent and Yankee Stadium). If you haven't bought football season tickets and have the means (and live close), please consider it. Average football attendance of 30K again in 2014 will only cement our AAC stay. Time to put Pasqualoni/DeLeone in the rearview and do our part.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Because NYC is the apple in every conference eye, it's tough to not look at these ticket prices and see that UCONN delivers NYC. If you take UCONN out of this Sweet 16 pairing and replace them with any other school left in the tournament, ticket prices drop 40-50%.

To get out of AAC hell, it's up to football (and us fans to sell out the Rent and Yankee Stadium). If you haven't bought football season tickets and have the means (and live close), please consider it. Average football attendance of 30K again in 2014 will only cement our AAC stay. Time to put Pasqualoni/DeLeone in the rearview and do our part.

The only thing that will get us out of the AAC, as the events of the fall of 2011 proved, is if ESPN thinks we are going to another network. Nothing else matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom