Blog: UConn remains highest-revenue athletic department outside of Power Five | The Boneyard

Blog: UConn remains highest-revenue athletic department outside of Power Five

Reaction Score
do we still get revenue because of teams previously leaving our conferences?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
do we still get revenue because of teams previously leaving our conferences?

I think we are still on the tail end of collecting Big East exit fee money/NCAA tourney shares, but that's about to go away, if it hasn't already.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
From a recent article regarding ways UConn can create alternate revenue streams post Big East money drying up: http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn-huskies/hc-aac-UConn-money-0527-20170526-story.html

The major moneymaking opportunity right now is football ticket sales. The season ticket base was about 16,000 each of the past two seasons, down from an all-time high of 32,500 in 2005. Season ticket renewals and new sales are up from last year at this time, though only slightly.

In 2016, UConn averaged 26,796 for home games, about 16,000 less than the average among FBS schools. Michigan averaged more than 110,000 fans. Each year since 2010, when the Huskies averaged 38,248, there has been a dropoff. The last time UConn averaged at least 30,000 fans for home games was 2013.

Men's basketball also has taken a hit. Last season the Huskies averaged 10,413 for home games, 40th in the country, but still far below the more than 13,000 fans it averaged from 2004-2007.

Ticket revenues were $10,362,040 in fiscal year 2016.

"We've got to sell more tickets, we've got to raise more money, and we've got to be really good with how we manage our budget," Benedict said. "We have a big upside with tickets. If we can start to fill up our venues again, that will eliminate [some deficit]. There is a lot of work to be done there. It's not going to happen just because we hired Randy. He's going to have to show that he's making progress, which he will."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can afford them and don't have them, and are encouraged by what you've seen and heard since UConn hired HCRE in December, it is incredibly important to hop back on the bandwagon and get season tickets. Getting UConn back to 20k+ season tickets (and eventually 25k+) would be absolutely enormous, first from a perception standpoint but second from a revenue standpoint.

Obviously basketball tickets are an important revenue stream as well. Same as above, if you can afford them and are exited for the upcoming season, its highly encouraged to hop on board.

I know we sit here and complain about TV revenues from the AAC (rightfully so), but when AD David Benedict directly states the importance of selling tickets to the bottom line its pretty hard to ignore the significance of it. I'm not here to call into question anyones fandom or anything like that but its worth noting the importance AD David Benedict seems to be placing on selling tickets going forward, from both quotes like the ones above and through hiring Aspire to help boost sales. Even if/when the TV contract revenues increase, its not going to be enough on its own to make up for the massive subsidy that UConn students currently provide for athletics.

Reaction Score
I think we are still on the tail end of collecting Big East exit fee money/NCAA tourney shares, but that's about to go away, if it hasn't already.

Ends after next fiscal year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Consider the drop from 32k season tickets to 16K season tickets.

If a season ticket were to average $125/ticket that's $2m in revenue potential by getting back to 32k season tix. Which is a start.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The athletic department needs to do something to liven up the basketball games. Let the students bring in signs, change up the music, etc. the students need to switch up the distractions. they also need more energy. The ad needs to switch up the student seating and allow more students in at both venues. Yes I know. Winning will cure it but things still need to be switched up

Reaction Score
The athletic department needs to do something to liven up the basketball games. Let the students bring in signs, change up the music, etc. the students need to switch up the distractions. they also need more energy. The ad needs to switch up the student seating and allow more students in at both venues. Yes I know. Winning will cure it but things still need to be switched up
How about being in a conference where big games are actually big games. A big game today is the unranked Huskies hosting 23rd ranked SMU. It used to be the 3rd ranked Huskies hosting 6th ranked Syracuse. Nice job by Susie and company allowing this to happen.

Reaction Score
Just play quality opponents, with every game at Gampel

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you can afford them and don't have them, and are encouraged by what you've seen and heard since UConn hired HCRE in December, it is incredibly important to hop back on the bandwagon and get season tickets. Getting UConn back to 20k+ season tickets (and eventually 25k+) would be absolutely enormous, first from a perception standpoint but second from a revenue standpoint.

Not to derail here, but I'm not a college football guy. Are football guys generally happy with the HCRE hire? Encouraged by what he's done so far?

Obviously nobody liked BD, but I'd imagine there was a contingent of underwhelmed after the latest hire.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not to derail here, but I'm not a college football guy. Are football guys generally happy with the HCRE hire? Encouraged by what he's done so far?

Obviously nobody liked BD, but I'd imagine there was a contingent of underwhelmed after the latest hire.
A LOT of people still feel scorned. Early on more people were upset but as he's made progress people are easing up and generally pleased. Somehow nabbing Auburn's OC helps. The offense shown at the spring game was a lot more dangerous than anything we've seen in 6 years.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I think the general consensus is that people trust Edsall to run a professional, competent program. He was never a lot of flash and flare; just grind it out and play sound fundamental football; something that the previous two coaches failed at (especially the last one!).

Furthermore, I think the ones who are underwhelmed by his lack of flash are still pretty optimistic because of his recent hires at offensive and defensive coordinator (Lashlee and Crocker). The rest of the staff is something to get excited about as well, and many of us are well versed in what running backs coach Terry Richardson has done for RBs at UConn.

All considered, this has been a very solid move by our AD. Now, let's hope the results match the anticipation...

Reaction Score
We did get our tier 3 rights back.

We need to win and all will be right with the world

Reaction Score
I think Randy addressed our concerns by who he hired. He's a changed man. He knows our issues with him and he wants them solved. Even more exciting, I honestly believe AD Dave read our comments, meticulously researched the down sides of Randy's reign here and then addressed them all in the hiring process. I may be wrong. but I am positive many fans feel that way. I believe Dave is the best AD in the modern era at UConn and frankly, common sense is was brought him to that that status. He gets it and he gets it because he researched it. He understands us.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Consider the drop from 32k season tickets to 16K season tickets.

If a season ticket were to average $125/ticket that's $2m in revenue potential by getting back to 32k season tix. Which is a start.

And I think, with a seat license fee, the cost is a little higher than $125 per

Reaction Score

There's plenty of room for students in Hartford at all but 1 or 2 games a year. Empty rows (and sometimes sections) in the student section will attest ro that.

Reaction Score
The article is validation that we should be in a power 5 conference.
But a good portion of that seems to be coming from the academic side subsidizing the athletics side. The only P5 school that comes close to subsidizing as much is Rutgers, which is basically making G5 payouts until they've paid their penance to the B10 gods. So put another way, UConn is spending like a P5 with the resources of a G5. It isn't a validation of P5 or G5 status, except to note that this probably isn't sustainable long-term. UConn's budget will get smaller unless they see a promotion in conference,

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
From a recent article regarding ways UConn can create alternate revenue streams post Big East money drying up: http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn-huskies/hc-aac-UConn-money-0527-20170526-story.html

The major moneymaking opportunity right now is football ticket sales. The season ticket base was about 16,000 each of the past two seasons, down from an all-time high of 32,500 in 2005. Season ticket renewals and new sales are up from last year at this time, though only slightly.

In 2016, UConn averaged 26,796 for home games, about 16,000 less than the average among FBS schools. Michigan averaged more than 110,000 fans. Each year since 2010, when the Huskies averaged 38,248, there has been a dropoff. The last time UConn averaged at least 30,000 fans for home games was 2013.

Men's basketball also has taken a hit. Last season the Huskies averaged 10,413 for home games, 40th in the country, but still far below the more than 13,000 fans it averaged from 2004-2007.

"We've got to sell more tickets, we've got to raise more money, and we've got to be really good with how we manage our budget," Benedict said. "We have a big upside with tickets. If we can start to fill up our venues again, that will eliminate [some deficit]. There is a lot of work to be done there. It's not going to happen just because we hired Randy. He's going to have to show that he's making progress, which he will."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously basketball tickets are an important revenue stream as well. Same as above, if you can afford them and are exited for the upcoming season, its highly encouraged to hop on board.

I know we sit here and complain about TV revenues from the AAC (rightfully so), but when AD David Benedict directly states the importance of selling tickets to the bottom line its pretty hard to ignore the significance of it. I'm not here to call into question anyones fandom or anything like that but its worth noting the importance AD David Benedict seems to be placing on selling tickets going forward, from both quotes like the ones above and through hiring Aspire to help boost sales. Even if/when the TV contract revenues increase, its not going to be enough on its own to make up for the massive subsidy that UConn students currently provide for athletics.
AD David Benedict needs to put a better product out there to increase sales

Reaction Score
No offense to anyone here but its rather sad to see the first dozen or so rows all around the court filled with white haired geriatrics sitting there with their arms crossed. We really need to get the students to the forefront here because this cant be good for recruiting.

Reaction Score
No offense to anyone here but its rather sad to see the first dozen or so rows all around the court filled with white haired geriatrics sitting there with their arms crossed. We really need to get the students to the forefront here because this cant be good for recruiting.

Let's see if AD David Benedict pulls the trigger on that move this year -- as you may recall he discussed this topic way back in November of last year on the Coach KO Show as something he was looking at.

Reaction Score

I get a "page not found" message with that link.....

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-aac-uconn-money-0527-20170526-story.html

Reaction Score

Or at least some white haired geriatrics that actually give a rats *ss.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Or at least some white haired geriatrics that actually give a rats *ss.

Need more of these geri's

crazy+old+man+blue+jays.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom