Blizzard | The Boneyard

Blizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Looks like massive storm hitting NE on Monday night through Tuesday. Hard to say whether it will affect ECU's ability to get to CT for Wednesday game.

Reaction Score
If the storm is as bad as the weather people are saying it won't matter if ECU gets there or not, the game will be postponed.

Reaction Score
We'll see. It seems every storm predicted is a huge deal. Until it isn't.;)
Or it is... Just as long as I have power!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Blizzard-gedden anyone?

Big talk of big snow here in NYC.

I don't mind, except it sure plays havoc with scheduling - I work WITHIN the DOE system but not FOR the system - so I have to figure out in school and out of school schedules... and rescheduling... and who goes into the office and who not. Heck, I even have a parent workshop to do at 8:10am! Oh, woe is me.... lol

Hope Geno and crew got early evening flights out.

Reaction Score
I remember 78 Memo was worse. the difference is we have better prediction and removal today! I measured 41 inches at my house in the center of Wallingford. in 78 there was very little warning of the magnitude of that storm!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I love snow, so I'm jealous of you guys. Of course, when it snows here, no one has to go to work or school until most of it melts, so it's always a mini vacation.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
de Blasio and a real crisis in Manhattan. I think snow almost got the last truly good mayor in trouble. This guy ... should be fun. Seriously , everyone be safe if this storm comes in as reported. A day or 2 of life disrupted beats the heck out of the rest of the scenarios.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The storm two years ago, Feb 2013 was the worst in Hamden where I live, where we had every bit of the highest total of 40 inches, the National Guard helping with snow removal and traffic control, and payloaders just dumping snow into yards. The funny thing about that one for me is that we were actually riding the storm out at my son's just outside Syracuse where they had less than a foot from it and all cleared easily. Our neighbors told us not to come home for a few days because our street was totally closed.

The '78 storm was bad because the drifting was enormous. My kids were little then and the drifts in our driveway - in Rocky Hill in those days - were measured between 4 and 5 feet. This one, if the wind predictions are right, could create the same problem. In 10 days we leave for a week in the sun and warmth. Why we aren't smart enough to just live where the only ice is in the freezer I can't explain.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I love snow, so I'm jealous of you guys. Of course, when it snows here, no one has to go to work or school until most of it melts, so it's always a mini vacation.
This was a couple years ago. It's my husband clearing the sidewalk after the February 2013 blizzard.

Feb 8, 2013 Blizzard 021.JPG

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
de Blasio and a real crisis in Manhattan. I think snow almost got the last truly good mayor in trouble. This guy ... should be fun. Seriously , everyone be safe if this storm comes in as reported. A day or 2 of life disrupted beats the heck out of the rest of the scenarios.

He's already had a lot of crises in his short stint as mayor. There is no perfect way to handle 2 feet+ of snow.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It may not fully develop, but it's prudent to prepare for the worst. 20-30" of snow with winds of 60 mph sounds dangerous.

Reaction Score
I miss the snow and ice storms in CT SOOOOO much! Today it was 77 here in Phoenix :cool:

Reaction Score
My brother lives in Tucson; I would miss the change of seasons.
Not!!! Life is hard, though. We don't have a pool heater (note to self) so we can tan in January, but we can't get in the water to cool off.

I DO miss the leaf raking, though.

Reaction Score
I remember 78 Memo was worse. the difference is we have better prediction and removal today! I measured 41 inches at my house in the center of Wallingford. in 78 there was very little warning of the magnitude of that storm!
I was thinking the same thing. Now you get to prepare ahead of time. In '78, no one knew it was going to start as early as it did, so they didn't cancel school and everyone left school and work all at once, creating a nightmare on the roads. Officials are often criticized for panicking in advance of storms now, but at least you're less likely to have the huge problem we had in '78. And in Rhode Island, where I was living at the time, we had to wait for the national guard to use heavy equipment airlifted in on military transport planes. It was unforgettable.

Reaction Score
As long as they have the roads cleared by Friday when the wife and I start the drive to FL I'll be a happy camper. Goodbye CT.....for 2 months anyway.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not!!! Life is hard, though. We don't have a pool heater (note to self) so we can tan in January, but we can't get in the water to cool off.

I DO miss the leaf raking, though.
We have a hot tub. Which we only use when the sun is down (for obvious reasons during most of the year) so it can be cool getting in but is sure great afterward.

I drove by Udall Park (Tucson city park near my house, I actually walk at the indoor track but it is closed Sundays) and there were games on both softball diamonds as well as a couple of soccer leagues going on, and I could not help but contrast that to the weather prediction for where I lived until February '11.

Incidentally, my wife at times swims at a Tucson City park where the outdoor pool is heated and open year round. The Udall pool is also heated, but closes for about 3 months. I don't know if the pools that only open for the 2 month summer vacation are heated or not and of course the city closed most of their pools some years ago.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Toughest aspect of January life in SF is that we have to keep weeding and pruning plants that keep growing too fast.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If the storm is as bad as the weather people are saying it won't matter if ECU gets there or not, the game will be postponed.

This is a distinct possibility. If the snow total predictions are accurate, we'll still be digging out all of Wednesday.

Cities like Hartford have a terrible time of handling high snow totals. Snow has to be trucked out of the city and that takes time.

If ECU is not in town today, there is no way they make it for Wednesday. Bradley will probably closed for a good part of Tuesday. Flights are going to be cancelled. Rescheduling will take days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom