Blind man finds his balance in Storrs - a look inside UConn's quest to salvage their season | The Boneyard

Blind man finds his balance in Storrs - a look inside UConn's quest to salvage their season

Reaction Score
UConn's 97-51 win over South Florida last night represented the largest recorded margin of victory against a conference opponent in school history, per my database. This database might not be super official, but in about 20 minutes of searching the web and musing over our best teams in program history, I could not find one single game with a more lopsided outcome. I welcome anybody to document one. Until then, my cursory research will be referred to as a database, because technically it is.

The spread was 13 points, meaning UConn out-performed their expected margin by a staggering 33 points. That would be the equivalent of an 18-point underdog winning by 15 points. It rarely ever happens, and likely ranks among the largest aberrations in college basketball this season.

It's one data point in a sample, but that's still one more than we had yesterday at this time. If KenPom ranked the 351 teams based purely on last nights result, we'd probably be number one. And before you say, "that doesn't mean anything," it does. It means that if he ranked teams based on last night, we'd probably be number one.

Sifting through the meaningful and the meaningless is always tricky, especially against a terrible opponent. It is unclear whether our play last night represented a long-awaited graduation from sophomoric basketball, or if it was merely the result of 16 threes going in instead of 8.

20+ games in, it's probably the latter, but I posted several weeks ago about the Central Florida game potentially forecasting a sustained improvement on the offensive end, and the data since suggests that I might have been right. The numbers corroborate this, even if they're modest in depth: in the conference games before UCF (granted one of these was without Adams), we averaged 55.3 PPG, and afterwards, we have averaged (and I'll include the Georgetown game to help my argument) 73.3 PPG.

That stretch of games includes a lot of garbage time against teams that were either terrible or had taken their foot off the gas, and there were moments in Maui - where we averaged 84 points per game - where you would have thought the same thing.

But aesthetically, it's night and day, and that's before you consider the leaps that individual players have made when it comes to things like, you know, hitting shots. South Florida was made to look like the Generals by a well-synthesized scheme that, for the first time in a while, aims to dictate the terms of engagement rather than yield to them. This is an important distinction to make because it answers to the riddle of sustainability that I posed earlier; it is an attacker of the very bargaining deals that defenses are typically willing to concede for the reason that for the reason that our flaws have accentuated our strengths.

In the terms of literature, it is a nature thing and it is a language thing. It is a nature thing because when you go through life blind, you begin to hear better. Eventually, you hear so well and develop such a command of the other sensory nerves that you begin to speak a language that nobody else knows as well as you. Your disability is only a disability in the context of the architecture that shelters the non-blind.

Architecture is of course inseparable from basketball, particularly at the college level where one scheme interacts so much better with one personnel grouping than another. This is why limitation can spawn success and it's why a team, like the one we had last year, can squander so much because of its one limitation. This team, to some extent, functions better than that one did for the simple reason that they're better at generating high percentage shots against a contested defense.

This truth was born out of reluctance, but ultimately, an offense that was intended to be speared by something totally different transformed into one buoyed by Jalen Adams and Kenten Facey, the latter of whom now commands an attention that creates a dilemma that has persisted even through the sluggishness of his last two games.

This dilemma is wholly contingent on how UConn defends. By and large, this defense has been decent, especially when allowing for the curve that they must be graded on for obvious reasons. The difference between "decent" and "great," however, has always been the difference between a UConn team that is doomed to their worst season in years and one that has a chance to play into the NCAA Tournament. That is where I do not think this board has directed enough of their attention, because while we have some skill players that will keep us above water offensively (even Enoch qualifies as such if he maintains what he did last night), it is still a relatively inert unit that should fluctuate less than a defense armed with the personnel to dominate possessions.

It sounds obvious, but talent is what distinguishes this UConn team from your other run-of-the-mill 11-12 teams, and talent - the innate quality that makes it difficult to accept numerical formulas as prophecy - is what will get us to where we want to go. We have more of it than SMU and we have more of it than Cincinnati, and it will be some combination of Ollie's foresight and the players' ability to adapt to it that will determine whether that happens.

SMU and Cincinnati exposed us defensively, and they did so in a way - pulling Brimah from the basket - that is unlikely to be rectified by anything other than an overhaul in scheme. There is little reason to believe that Ollie, one of the most flexible coaches in the country, will not search far and wide for an alternative. The question, then, becomes how, specifically, the staff can apply a scheme in short order that is both conducive to the skill sets of the players and negotiable to the constraints of time.

We don't have the time to install a 2-3 zone of the likes that Syracuse played in 2013. That team, for a period of time in March, played the zone better than I have ever seen it played.

Perhaps, then, we might pick a different team from that same year - Louisville - and re-visit the anatomy of one of the most destructive defenses ever. On January 14th of 2013, that team came to Hartford and mutated us with a match-up zone (I was in the house, and that second half was as helpless as I've ever seen a UConn team look).

I'm sure you've heard the match-up zone described as a zone with man-to-man principles, but every zone has man-to-man principles, and the function - forcing the opponent into isolation moves - is the same. The prevailing belief is that a zone defense wants to force jump shots, but that's a simplified description of its real intention, which is to pack the paint in a way that alleviates the hedging responsibilities of the big men.

That is precisely the remedy for a UConn defense that is both made and broken by the abilities of their center. Against the dregs of the league, he can roam the paint, indifference to the presence of the opposing center he knows can't hurt him. Against SMU and Cincinnati, Moore and Washington eviscerate us with jump shots and well-timed passers to cutters slivering into the skin of the defense. The match-up zone, perhaps in a way that a standard zone cannot, is able to deter ball screens while also maintaining its infrastructure. Essentially, on a 1-5 ball screen, your guard becomes the hedge man instead of your big:

upload_2017-2-9_18-11-16.png

This is the same Napier/Daniels ball screen that destroyed college basketball for the better part of two years, but they lost four straight times against Louisville, each by double digits, for this reason right here. Siva can trail Napier the whole way, and Dieng can sag back, because Russ Smith (pictured at the elbow) assumes the role of the hedge man, slinking over to Daniels until the defense re-sets.

The danger of this defense is that it can yield mismatches. Daniels could draw Smith, and with enough patience, he could catch it in the post. But the lighthouse in Dieng remains fairly stationary the whole time, meaning every isolation is shadowed by strong side help. That's a losing formula for virtually any college team when Smith and Siva are flying around on the perimeter.

This can still be beaten with good, crisp ball movement, but that's also true of a man-to-man. In this alignment, the two wings are rovers who are supposed to shoot the gaps between shooters until there is a full recovery. If Daniels had set a screen on the opposite side, Smith would have had to help on Daniels, and Boatright would have briefly been open. That means the guy on the block (I think Behanan) has to be quick on his feet.

Ollie threw a few zones out there last night in the second half, and they worked fairly well. Against SMU and Cincinnati, it'll probably have to be a mis-mash defenses, but that's one luxury of being the hunter and not the hunted: you can afford to throw junk defenses out there that confound better teams, because you're not good enough to be stubborn about an identity (and I say this as somebody who shivers at the thought of UConn ever playing anything but man-to-man).

None of this has any baring on Saturday's match-up with Central Florida, but there are frames of the tape - even against South Florida - that can be extrapolated into a calculus that informs the future. This whole x's and o's thing is reducible to a basic game of probability at it's core - designing systems on both ends that churn out shots that come down to decimal points on a points per possession basis. Nothing is guaranteed to come from scouting or game-planning or even practicing because sometimes the ball goes in and sometimes it doesn't. Great coaches give their players a chance, though, and for all the criticism Ollie has gotten, they've been right there, all four years of his tenure, playing competitive basketball at the end. This time, maybe that means he's playing catch-up, trying to bridge the gap in skill and experience.

Well, we have a lot of experience shooting contested layups and turn-around's from the post. Maybe by March, they're doing the same thing with worse players, speaking our language, in front of a crowd that's ready to devour them whole. Maybe the match-up zone gets us there, maybe it's something else. Maybe I need to get a life. Until next time.

Reaction Score
@champs99and04 I only made it through the first paragraph and had to find out for myself if this was the largest margin of victory in conference play for UConn. Pretty sure it was, but just by 1 point. UConn beat Cincinnati back in 2008 by 45 points.

In terms of largest margin of victory overall? 70 points (116-46) against CCSU in 1996.

Here are the other largest margin of victory in a conference game from old and new media guides:

Big East
at Seton Hall (2/11/06) +42, 99-57
Boston College (2/11/89) +37, 86-49
at Virginia Tech (1/28/04) +36, 96-60
West Virginia (1/9/99) +35, 80-45
Providence (1/31/09) +33, 94-61
Notre Dame (1/12/99) +31, 101-70
Seton Hall (1/29/83) +31, 78-47
West Virginia (2/7/04) +30, 88-58

AAC
USF (2/12/14) +43, 83-40
Houston (1/30/14) +37, 80-43
at USF (2/25/16) +30, 81-51

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@tcf15 looks like your database is better than mine. I'll retreat (though you need to keep reading to find out how the blind man works itself into the narrative).

Reaction Score
... It sounds obvious, but talent is what distinguishes this UConn team from your other run-of-the-mill 11-12 teams, and talent - the innate quality that makes it difficult to accept numerical formulas as prophecy - is what will get us to where we want to go. We have more of it than SMU and we have more of it than Cincinnati, and it will be some combination of Ollie's foresight and the players' ability to adapt to it that will determine whether that happens...

If your talking about the players on the floor, as opposed to the injured on the bench, I do not believe this is true. Wish it were. Our bigs can't pass, our perimeter players can't pressure the ball, we regularly put two players on the floor who can't defend a lightpost, and we don't have a go-to guy to make a big shot at the end of a game. The team we have is maximizing the talent they have, and it should be good enough to beat UCF, but it is not good enough to beat either Cinci or SMU unless we ply their players with hookers and hooch the nite before the game.

Reaction Score
I usually agree with you but no way in hell is our remaining 8 players more talented than Cincy's. SMU is debatable, they lack depth also but all of their pieces are in the roles they expected when the season begain.

Reaction Score
We stunk at Cinny.

But Cinny coming off a loss, they were motivated and we got their A game. They usually shoot around 35% from three. Against us it was 46% They usually make 7+ threes a game. Against us it was 12. They also shot 20% better from the FT line. In short, they shot their asses off.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Bill Russell, when he called games on TV, used to say that "Hustle" was a talent the often went unrecognized. I always thought that this meant the desire to jump for loose balls and scramble for rebounds. Now, I believe he meant more than that. Hustle also includes the ability to read what is happening in front of your eyes and the adjust to circumstance.
This talent is the one that we are lacking and both SMU and Cincy have an abundance of it.

Reaction Score
We stunk at Cinny.

But Cinny coming off a loss, they were motivated and we got their A game. They usually shoot around 35% from three. Against us it was 46% They usually make 7+ threes a game. Against us it was 12. They also shot 20% better from the FT line. In short, they shot their asses off.
Cincy was not coming off a loss.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cincy was not coming off a loss.

But they did make 3's at an unexpected rate, and from people who shouldn't shoot that well in particular. Our defense was poor, but their offense was on fire, much as ours was against USF.

Reaction Score
But they did make 3's at an unexpected rate, and from people who shouldn't shoot that well in particular. Our defense was poor, but their offense was on fire, much as ours was against USF.
Oh I agree, which is why I think the game at home will look much different. Washington and Clark are very good players but I can't see them knocking down all of those jumpers on the road.

Reaction Score
I usually agree with you but no way in hell is our remaining 8 players more talented than Cincy's. SMU is debatable, they lack depth also but all of their pieces are in the roles they expected when the season begain.

Cincinnati is definitely deeper and better. Talent is arguable, I think, for the simple reason that I'm not sure they have anybody as dynamic as Adams. Clark is a better player than Facey, but Facey is taller, longer, and more athletic. I wonder if UConn's length becomes more of a problem for Cincinnati if they can figure out a scheme to hide some of their limitations, akin to two years ago when Cincinnati was the superior team but lost twice in Hartford because they couldn't put the ball in the basket when they needed to in iso situations. I'm not sold that Caupain is that guy, nor Evans for that matter.

This Cincy team is certainly better offensively than the last couple, but what struck me watching the UNC-Duke game last night was how much better those players were, individually, than what you see in the AAC. It was almost closer to an NBA game than an AAC game, and it was because they could basically all get their own shot. When the game slows down in March, I think gaps in talent become more pronounced and I'm skeptical that SMU and Cincinnati are good enough to get through the first weekend.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Great post. I agree with most of it, however teaching a match-up zone is very difficult. Not many players and coaches can get it down to being effective - low basketball IQ might hurt us here.

But I'm a huge fan of junk defenses. Throwing an awkward, unfamiliar defense at an opponent forces them to make mistakes. It's up to the coach and the coaches' ability to steer the team to attack the weak points. See Rick Majerus's 1998 Utah team.

But the triangle and 2 zone might be beneficial to us. We can stash Brimah and Facey down below the basket, and have Vance play by the FT line. The guards go man to man. In my opinion if you take the ball away from the likes of Caupain, Evans, Cumberland, Shake Milton, etc. and you force the forwards to make passes and cut we will create turnovers. The AAC doesn't have a super athletic point-forward passing freak to carve this up. Our guards going man can get tired. We have limited depth - but this is good in bunches and tight scenarios.

The 1-3-1 also is a great defense. Florida used this to a 3 loss season in 2014 and WVU got to the Final Four in 2010 with 6'10" Devin Ebanks playing up top. Again, it creates diagonal passes and forces the offense to hit the right spots or turn it over.

We need to use every advantage we can get, especially if our shots don't fall. Sometimes we go man and we just can't stop em. Sometimes they shoot over our 2-3 zone. We need to go batshit crazy and throw stupid defenses out there. I think it'd help. One mans opinion.

C

Chief00

I am a man to man guy - not a big fan of the match up defense which has left good shooters wide open for 3's all year long. Other than throwing a look out there to confuse the other team , I don't see much point to it. Additionally, it usually confuses us more than the offense.
My criticism of the 1-3-1 is it leaves you in terrible rebounding position and it doesn't put a rebounder on the weak side that statistically gets most of the rebounds. So even if the 1-3-1 stops the shot from going in - often it gives up an offensive rebound that turns into a lay-up.
Of course, for many teams that have played South Florida this year - everything works. So Glen Miller take your bows but before I coronate you a zone genius - let's see it against a team that has a winning record or at least close to that.

Reaction Score
Great post. I agree with most of it, however teaching a match-up zone is very difficult. Not many players and coaches can get it down to being effective - low basketball IQ might hurt us here.

But I'm a huge fan of junk defenses. Throwing an awkward, unfamiliar defense at an opponent forces them to make mistakes. It's up to the coach and the coaches' ability to steer the team to attack the weak points. See Rick Majerus's 1998 Utah team.

But the triangle and 2 zone might be beneficial to us. We can stash Brimah and Facey down below the basket, and have Vance play by the FT line. The guards go man to man. In my opinion if you take the ball away from the likes of Caupain, Evans, Cumberland, Shake Milton, etc. and you force the forwards to make passes and cut we will create turnovers. The AAC doesn't have a super athletic point-forward passing freak to carve this up. Our guards going man can get tired. We have limited depth - but this is good in bunches and tight scenarios.

The 1-3-1 also is a great defense. Florida used this to a 3 loss season in 2014 and WVU got to the Final Four in 2010 with 6'10" Devin Ebanks playing up top. Again, it creates diagonal passes and forces the offense to hit the right spots or turn it over.

We need to use every advantage we can get, especially if our shots don't fall. Sometimes we go man and we just can't stop em. Sometimes they shoot over our 2-3 zone. We need to go batshit crazy and throw stupid defenses out there. I think it'd help. One mans opinion.

Only thing in the triangle 2 there is so much open space and the 2 guys you throw on their top 2 need to be lock down kind of guys, guys who can keep the ball out of their hands. I don't think we have those type of defenders and in that case your defense gets caught with their pants down, lots of wide open 8-10 footers.

But again you never know what will work. Both sides of our Cincy game for them they didn't shoot half as good, depends on which team we get on that night.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Only thing in the triangle 2 there is so much open space and the 2 guys you throw on their top 2 need to be lock down kind of guys, guys who can keep the ball out of their hands. I don't think we have those type of defenders and in that case your defense gets caught with their pants down, lots of wide open 8-10 footers.

But again you never know what will work. Both sides of our Cincy game for them they didn't shoot half as good, depends on which team we get on that night.
It's about hustle, you can defend anyone if you hustle. But we have a limited backcourt. Once Adams, Purvis, and Vital are gassed we're essentially dead. So I agree with you. But it could be used in spurts, especially when we're struggling offensively.

@Chief00 you can sag the outside middle line after a shot to get 3 guys on the boards. Watch Bob Huggin's teams. I believe he had 6'1" Joe Mazulla down low, and they rebounded really well. Also they had Ebanks, Kevin Jones, and Klicila but regardless they aren't athletic. We have athleticism up front.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We stunk at Cinny.

Their two guys who were crushing us from three, one was Cumberland I forget the big, maybe it was Clark both had UGLY shots that with any duress would not have gone in. They'll be facing a motivated group with Brimah Facey and Purvis trying to close out their careers and ugly ceiling version of Gampel with a W. let's do the crew a favor and make it so loud in there the paint comes off the tile. It's happened a few times recently.

Reaction Score
It's about hustle, you can defend anyone if you hustle. But we have a limited backcourt. Once Adams, Purvis, and Vital are gassed we're essentially dead. So I agree with you. But it could be used in spurts, especially when we're struggling offensively.

@Chief00 you can sag the outside middle line after a shot to get 3 guys on the boards. Watch Bob Huggin's teams. I believe he had 6'1" Joe Mazulla down low, and they rebounded really well. Also they had Ebanks, Kevin Jones, and Klicila but regardless they aren't athletic. We have athleticism up front.

Yeah I wish Jalen were a better defender butt hen again I also wish he didn't play 40 minutes a game because then maybe he would be. He has the gifts to be one, tends to lose his guy a little too much in anticipation of making a play off his man. He may be great on the bottom as would Vital who seems to have nice idea on defense, could turn himself into a lockdown kind of guy!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If they all play to their absolute maximum at the same time, perhaps. But, this never happens, and isn't really the definition of superior talent...

C

Chief00

I will watch for that but putting a 6-1 guard in the prime rebouding position is something I need to be sold on. Some 6-1 guys rebound well but it's usually snatching a tipped ball coming in from the outside.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom