Blessing in disguise | The Boneyard

Blessing in disguise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am hoping this lose not only makes the players and coaches hungrier but hopefully this shows KO he needs develop Durham ASAP.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping it humbles them. They were talking about how good they were, but that was just talk.

Maybe now they will learn how to back it up.
That should be the takeaway from this 100%. Nobody who loses to Wagner can call themselves the "Top 5".

Now pick yourself up, learn how to rebound, and figure out how to play perimeter defense.

Reaction Score
UConn has a chemistry problem. The most talented players are sophomores or younger, but the team leadership is 3 seniors with very flawed games.

Reaction Score
And if they find a way to turn it around and do well the rest of the season, this loss will be seen as an aberration in 15 weeks from now.
The danger is if a leader does not emerge right away to show them how to turn it around. In other words make sure his teammates have a short memory in terms of depression or a hit to their confidence.

The locker room will be a precarious place for a couple of days. Hopefully Jalen or Rodney can make sure they put this behind them. Those freshman got a wake up call tonight, but need to know that college basketball ain't high school.

Also a leader will need to emerge when and after Ollie rips them a new arsewhole. Our vets better not be hanging their heads is all I'm saying.

This was a bad loss.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
in some ways it is a blessing
First, the 2 players UConn could least afford to have bad games at the same time is Purv and JA - and it happened
Larrier will be good but he needs to rein in the cocky attitude
AB, to me, has gotten worse as each season rolls on, he let that overweight white guy have his way
Haven't seen the stats but I am sure the guards outrebounded the bigs again - I cant even remember one UConn big pull down a clean rebound
For cryin out loud - this team looks to be the worse ever on perimeter D
If this team doesn't see some shots falling - they are hurting - did they shoot 30%???
KO needs to recruit a big who can catch a ball, clean rebound and defend
It was sooooo bad tonight - I couldn't even get mad- I was stunned
KO will have fun tomorrow and Sunday
REBOUND REBOUND REBOUND

Reaction Score
I don't know why you guys are knocking the new guys, if it weren't for them, we would have lost by more. The seniors need to be the backups for real, but maybe they just got caught. We shall see.

Reaction Score
UConn has a chemistry problem. The most talented players are sophomores or younger, but the team leadership is 3 seniors with very flawed games.

Exactly. The sooner the youngsters can take over the team and the seniors accept reduced roles the better UConn will be.

Reaction Score
I really feel like this will be a positive for the players. Win against Northeastern and Loyola next week and then play well in Hawaii and this will all be forgotten.

Reaction Score
KO should have killed "Top 5" from the start. Kids got way too cocky. What happened to earning everything at UConn?

But still the freshman ain't the problem. It's the seniors
?? What "Top 5"?

Link?

Reaction Score
?? What "Top 5"?

Link?
It's not as bad as some are making it out to be - just a reference to a Drake song: UConn Hoops Freshmen Quintet Borrows From Drake: 'Top 5, Top 5 Top 5'

No one is sure who started it, but as one recruit after another chose UConn, they joined the group chat.

Vance Jackson and Christian Vital would begin ribbing each other, Mamadou Diarra would egg people on.

"Alterique Gilbert and I would just sit back and listen," said 6-foot-10 Juwan Durham, from Tampa. "It was hilarious."

Soon, lyrics from the Drake song "Grammys" began to click for them all: "Top 5, top 5, top 5," and UConn's heralded recruiting class of 2016 had a name.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We'll know a lot more Monday night. Friday happened, it's done, the response is what matters

Reaction Score
The freshman played fine .

The freshman played better than anyone else, but that does not mean they played fine. There is not one area of the game in which our team played fine.

Its the same problems but with new players. No uptempo, poor rotations on D, poor perimeter defense, no movement on offense, running down the clock, poor rebounding, etc. I am not sure how this gets fixed when it appears to be the result of coaching philosophy.

One are which can improve is shot selection, but that could result in more last second shots as time runs out. I am most concerned about the defense and rebounding issues which keep surfacing every year.

On Durham, in the short time he played he looked slow and was easily beaten down court and then in the lane. There is so much that needs to be fixed, I don't believe anyone player will turn this around. It needs to be a team effort.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And if they find a way to turn it around and do well the rest of the season, this loss will be seen as an aberration in 15 weeks from now.
Or more accurately growing pains. This won't be the last of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom