Blast from the past: Who is the player? | The Boneyard

Blast from the past: Who is the player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It is obvious in this photo from the archive blog of Day photojournalist's Sean Elliot what the UConn celebratory scene is all about (yes, it is the second of the two encounters that year with the Vols) and who the players in front (a fuzzy Rebecca Lobo) and to the left (Jen Rizzoti) are, but who is the player in the middle and in what three four ways is she almost the eerily spitting image of Sue Bird?

elliot_021.JPG

Reaction Score
It's Carla Berube and I have not a clue about her being an eerily spitting image of Sue Bird. First of all, Ms Berube is older, they did not west the same number and did not come from the same region of the country. the only possible similarity that comes to mind is that they were clutch free throw shooters.

Reaction Score
It is obvious in this photo from the archive blog of Day photojournalist's Sean Elliot what the UConn celebratory scene is all about (yes, it is the second of the two encounters that year with the Vols) and who the players in front (a fuzzy Rebecca Lobo) and to the left (Jen Rizzoti) are, but who is the player in the middle and in what three four ways is she almost the eerily spitting image of Sue Bird?

elliot_021.JPG
Carla Berube. No idea how you think she looks at all like Sue Bird.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Carla Berube. No idea how you think she looks at all like Sue Bird.
You ask a stat geek how the two players look alike? After a 4 year career for Berube and kind of 3 1/4 year career for Bird, their numbers were:

FG Attempts
CB - 1021, SB - 1021

Turnovers
CB - 276, SB - 277

Minutes
CB - 3320, SB - 3321

Total Points
CB - 1379, SB - 1378

Berube had a few hundred more rebounds and a better FG%, and Bird had a few hundred more assists and better 3-pt FG% and FT%. But clearly otherwise, these two were separated at birth, five years apart.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
That is kind of freaky!
So much so that you now have to change your name to Suebird10-Carlaberube31fan.

Because of her limited freshman season, Sue was playing catch up all the way, but clearly Carla was her measuring stick for where she wanted to go statistically in a lot of ways. Berube was an okay FT shooter and hit only 2/3s of her attempts in 1994-1995, but it's when you hit them that often counts the most, like near the end of an NC game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's Carla Berube and I have not a clue about her being an eerily spitting image of Sue Bird. First of all, Ms Berube is older, they did not west the same number and did not come from the same region of the country. the only possible similarity that comes to mind is that they were clutch free throw shooters.
All white people look alike.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
BE--ROOOOOO--BEE!
Stewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwie! Mosqueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeda!

You know, with the right last name, the Berube legacy can be carried on vigorously at a very loud pitch in the current era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom