Birch wood coffee cups in Finland | The Boneyard

Birch wood coffee cups in Finland

Reaction Score
I know lots of you guys are big coffee drinkers ( me too). I am working up in Finland at the moment. Lapland actually. White birch trees everywhere. They make coffee cups carved from the wood. You never wash them with soap. Just rinse it. CT has plenty of birch. This could be a money maker for someone. Black coffee , if you put milk or cream, I am not sure just rinsing is sufficient.

Reaction Score
I guess I am supposed to put OT in front of threads like this. Sorry.

Reaction Score
I guess I am supposed to put OT in front of threads like this. Sorry.
Yeah - bullcrap. Rules exist for a reason, Mokum. You're wasting everybody's time. We're very busy people here. Very busy.
I clicked on this thread, entitled "Birch Woods Coffee Cups in Finland" expecting to find some sort of update on Hurley's practice regimen, or CV's attitude, or an update on the whereabouts of Montquencio Hardnet, or whether Rickie Moore has found paying work, or the best [food type] in CT.
Instead, it's a lousy thread about coffee cups made out of birchwood in Finland.
You bait and switch like this again, Swami notices.
Just sayin'.
On the serious side, I love the thought of a wooden cup. That wood definitely not go over in the U.S., however.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
After being 100% Polish for 71-1/2 years. my daughter got into all this genealogy crap, and had us take DNA tests. Turns out I'm 92% Polish and 8% Finnish. Now I need me a genuine, Birch wood coffee cup. A big one. It's my heritage! Don't none of you guys go getting one and appropriating my culture.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A $40 coffee cup?
They were actually about $60!! That's why I didn't buy one. But apparently the coffee permeates the wood and it tastes better. Big deal I guess. Shouldn't have made the post, but I know there are some coffee connisuers on here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I copied and pasted "Lauri Markknen" into Goog expecting, churlishly, to be rewarded with some images of a hot scandanavian model. LOL. Joke was on me.

You're one notch worse than me. I gave him credit and expected a hot Finnish female basketball player. Wrong board perhaps.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
il_340x270.1508132167_lr1g.jpg

Reaction Score
A pretty coffee cup is not that important to me. I really just want it to be hot when I drink it, even 30 minutes later and of course be durable.

Anyway, does it make coffee taste better, and keep it hotter longer than the one I use now?

61g02mBv41L._SL1500_.jpg

Dove

Reaction Score
Saturday night date -

Nils: Thanks for coming over, baby. You gotta try this coffee. It's from France. You get caramel, cocoa and a little anise, too. It is amazing.

Inga: :sluuurrrp: Hmmm...nope, I'm getting tree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday night date -

Sven: Inga, here is that coffee I said was so good. I know you love coffee. It's an artisan blend.

Inga: :sluuurp: [winces] It...it tastes like 8 O'Clock French roast.

Sven: Ohh...ha ha. That's what I had earlier!

Inga: So why am I tasting it?

Sven: This is a birch mug. I never wash them.

{Inga cracks mug against skull of Sven. Exits stage left]

Last edited:

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
After being 100% Polish for 71-1/2 years. my daughter got into all this genealogy crap, and had us take DNA tests. Turns out I'm 92% Polish and 8% Finnish. Now I need me a genuine, Birch wood coffee cup. A big one. It's my heritage! Don't none of you guys go getting one and appropriating my culture.
As every Finn knows: While you can always tell a Finn, don't expect to tell them much.
(That and my Italian mother-in-law says more in one morning than my Finnish grandparents said in a week.)

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Saturday night date -

Nils: Thanks for coming over, baby. You gotta try this coffee. It's from France. You get caramel, cocoa and a little anise, too. It is amazing.

Inga: :sluuurrrp: Hmmm...nope, I'm getting tree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday night date -

Sven: Inga, here is that coffee I said was so good. I know you love coffee. It's an artisan blend.

Inga: :sluuurp: [winces] It...it tastes like 8 O'Clock French roast.

Sven: Ohh...ha ha. That's what I had earlier!

Inga: So why am I tasting it?

Sven: This is a birch mug. I never wash them.

{Inga cracks mug against skull of Sven. Exits stage left]
Those are Norwegian names, or worse! (Swedes!?)

Dove

Reaction Score
Those are Norwegian names, or worse! (Swedes!?)
Meh. All Nords look alike.

Replace with Risto, Jari and Ansa.

Reaction Score
Ever see a thread that you just had to click on because the title just grabbed you! :)

Reaction Score
After giving it some thought (yes...slow day so far)...I can't see how it makes it taste 'better'...unless you're looking for birch flavor in your coffee? If people 'really' wanted birch in their coffee, I'm thinking there would be birch-flavored coffee on the shelves? Or, birch flavored creamer you could add? Seems like just a whimsical thing to do...I guess not washing the cup makes the whole process 'greener', and the wooden cup maybe looks kinda cool...but not seeing any real upside. I like the metal style above (or plastic) with a lid for transport...otherwise, am fine with my big ceramic one that says "Grateful Dad" on the side...sans birch or leftover residue flavor...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom