Bill Walton sighting | The Boneyard

Bill Walton sighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was at UConn Health Center today and Walton just finished shooting something in the lobby. Big dude and was gracious signing autographs for anybody that wanted one.

Reaction Score
In the 90's lived in San Diego area and son played basketball at Lajolla Country Day school and played a local team which had one of the Walton sons on it. Bill was in the stands seated near me and after the game I was standing on the bleacher seat (am about 6'2" in sneakers) and Bill was still sitting. He then stood up (not on the bleacher seat but where you put your feet while sitting) and kept getting higher and higher and higher. If he wasn't 7' 2" or 3" I'd be very surprised, he was very, very, very tall. Then he started to walk down to the playing floor from the bleachers and he really had trouble with his legs, and that was some 18 years ago, can't imaging what he must have to go through, didn't look like he could flex his ankles hardly at all.

Reaction Score
He's probably blaming Ben Howland for something that happened in Hartford today. I can't fathom when he will move on ...

Reaction Score
He's probably blaming Ben Howland for something that happened in Hartford today. I can't fathom when he will move on ...
I can't watch games that he commentates. It's horrible.

Reaction Score
In the 90's lived in San Diego area and son played basketball at Lajolla Country Day school and played a local team which had one of the Walton sons on it. Bill was in the stands seated near me and after the game I was standing on the bleacher seat (am about 6'2" in sneakers) and Bill was still sitting. He then stood up (not on the bleacher seat but where you put your feet while sitting) and kept getting higher and higher and higher. If he wasn't 7' 2" or 3" I'd be very surprised, he was very, very, very tall. Then he started to walk down to the playing floor from the bleachers and he really had trouble with his legs, and that was some 18 years ago, can't imaging what he must have to go through, didn't look like he could flex his ankles hardly at all.

Bill had his ankles fused years ago. He always had issues with them.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Despite his blowhard-iness as an announcer, he was an amazing player in college and in his early years as a pro before injuries hobbled him. His game against Memphis (State at that time) was an all-time great performance. A shame his feet/legs did not hold up.

THC

Reaction Score
Thought he only did that in his tepee in his back yard?

Reaction Score

The story goes that he insisted on being listed at 6-11 b/c he didn't want to be labeled a "freak." However, there are lots of pictures where he's taller than McHale and Parish at 6-11 and 7-0 and another where in his 50s he's virtually the same size as Shaq.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I can't watch games that he commentates. It's horrible.
He is the worst announcer in history but about the nicest guy you could ever meet. I sat next to him at a high school state championship game in Oakland,ca in the 80's and he was awesome. I was in high school and he talked with me and my buddies like we were old friends

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Despite his blowhard-iness as an announcer, he was an amazing player in college and in his early years as a pro before injuries hobbled him. His game against Memphis (State at that time) was an all-time great performance. A shame his feet/legs did not hold up.

If you just base it on his short time before his foot problems, there might not have been a better center in history.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
If you just base it on his short time before his foot problems, there might not have been a better center in history.

I think that this is probably true. He was really good at just about everything. I can't recall another center who was even remotely close to his ability to clear a rebound and then immediately make tremendous outlet passes. He had great hands and court vision, as well as a really good feel for the game. Didn't the Trailblazers win the championship in only his second or third year in the league? It was kind of sad to see him during his Celtic years....just a faint shadow of the talent he had prior to the injuries.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Great dude! Have partied with him quite a few times, not only at Grateful Dead shows but at the 2004 FF. Think I told a couple stories here before. He's "out there " (and I am used to out there people.)

I even picked him up hitchhiking once.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I think that this is probably true. He was really good at just about everything. I can't recall another center who was even remotely close to his ability to clear a rebound and then immediately make tremendous outlet passes. He had great hands and court vision, as well as a really good feel for the game. Didn't the Trailblazers win the championship in only his second or third year in the league? It was kind of sad to see him during his Celtic years....just a faint shadow of the talent he had prior to the injuries.

Sabonis from his USSR days would be the best comparison but Sabonis was a better shooter and passer.

Seeing Sabonis with the Trailblazers was a somewhat sad sight to see. You saw glimpses of what could have been.

On a side note Sabonis and Mark Eaton are the only two people I've ever seen stand next to Shaq and not look small.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Sabonis from his USSR days would be the best comparison but Sabonis was a better shooter and passer.

Seeing Sabonis with the Trailblazers was a somewhat sad sight to see. You saw glimpses of what could have been.

On a side note Sabonis and Mark Eaton are the only two people I've ever seen stand next to Shaq and not look small.

Mark Eaton was a guy who made the most out of his ability (and height).

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Has there ever been a better player then Detlef Schrempf watching him shoot from the outside is unbelievable.

For those who don't get it:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44