• No

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • Better than AAC guys

Votes: 17 14.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Recently, Bill Walton went viral for eating a lit cupcake (physically typing that has me laughing), so I figured now was a good time to gauge how the yard feels about him. I know a lot of people either like listening to him, or hate it, usually it's just one or the other with no middle ground. Personally, I think he's hilarious and he brings a lot of good energy, so I'll find myself tuning in to a sub par PAC-12 game just to see if he says something outrageous. Sports is entertainment, and simply I find it entertaining to listen to him. I'm also a huge Celtics fan, so I can appreciate and respect Bill for his play as 6th man of the year on one of the greatest teams to ever play the sport. Being a Celtics fan I also love Tommy Heinsohn, so maybe my opinion doesn't hold much weight lol.

I do have some friends who listen to him on mute, so I wanted to see what the general consensus is on here. Maybe I'm crazy, but I appreciate him. One thing we can agree on is that nothing is worse than these AAC commentators, right?

Reaction Score
Bill's accomplishments in basketball are well documented (bone spurs aside), however, as a color commentator he provides much more color than relevant comments. The Maui Invitational was almost unwatchable (unlistenable?!). Not a fan.

Reaction Score
For me he's entertaining. Some of the guys who add color to the games by trying to explain a play, a call or whatever are so awful I'd rather hear someone like Bill who can make me smile.

Yes vote for Bill.
He doesn't disrespect the history of the game?

Reaction Score
You must be new here. Please fire Bill Walton ESPN

The last time we did this it was locked in 70 posts. Let's see if you can do better.
giphy.gif

Well that's not exactly the start I was hoping for

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
If it's not a UConn game, i'll just turn it off if he's doing the color. If it's UConn, I'll watch on mute.
So I guess I don't care much for him.

Reaction Score
As a Celtics fan Tommy Heinsohn is my favorite color commentator, and I like him more the older he gets.

At a minimum you're due 15 blow up ref-bashing comments, 10 "what did he just say?" remarks, and 10 biased Celtics claims every game he announces.

Not to mention the guy's an NBA legend. You won't find a better pair of NBA announcers in the league than Mike & Tommy.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
If he weren't hilariously entertaining, he'd be the most insufferable self centered deebag on the planet.

Having said that, I enjoy games with him. Except our game against Arizona last year.

Reaction Score
I think Walton is a great guy. He was such a great college player and such an interesting dude. What he accomplished with Portland was amazing. Him and few other mountain men (Bobby Gross comes to mind) and Maurice Lucas were a great team to watch. The ball never seemed to touch to floor. He had that one great year with the Celtics making everyone else better and adding a ton of good chemistry. I recall Jerry Schting having a big year off the bench that year. Walton could put the ball on his shooting hand with space to shoot. The next year with Walton hurt, Schting wasn't nearly as effective.

I just enjoy his insights and crazy rambling. Just saw a feature about the 86 Cs which really showed what be brought to that team on and off the court. With his attitude and enthusiasm he would have accomplished so much more if health. That's the lens I hear and see him from. Someone who brought a ton of joy to the game.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
In person he is one of the nicest, most generous celebrities I’ve ever met. That said, I would rather remove my toenails with pliers than listen to him call a game.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Most college basketball announcers blather rather than add to my appreciation of the game I'm watching.

I mute them all

Reaction Score
Not a fan of his announcing. It’s too bad because he really knows the game. He just decides to ramble on about nonsense instead of actually discussing the basketball game.

Reaction Score
Jay Bilas went from one of the best to a guy I can't listen to at all, he's awful now. There's really not many left that are all that good, lead announcers or color guys. I hear what people are saying about Bill as far as game insight, it's not there I just get a kick out of him.

Reaction Score
Bill is better with a ball than a mic. He talks too much, talks about anything but basketball during plays and always seems to talk about other teams/players more than the ones playing. He reminisces too much during games about things young folks can't even contemplate.

With that said I find him entertaining, enjoyable and great in picking out players' strengths and weakness including their mistakes during games. He's also certified to critique big men, which not too many announcers have the cred to do. I may cringe when he's 'on the call', but I never turn down the volume. With Bill its all about his partner and do they compliment each other. Some can work with anybody, but Bill has to have the right sidekick.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
If I'm a neutral observer of a game, I don't mind Walton. I wouldn't want him doing a game with UConn in it though. I'd prefer commentators who actually talk about the game in that case.

Reaction Score
I like Bill Walton, I find him entertaining. Where else can you watch a basketball game and learn about the Tigris and Euphrates rivers at the same time?

I am actually surprised a Bill Walton strain of weed hasn't been developed. I'm sure it would be a big seller.

Reaction Score
I understand the wide range of emotions on Walton because if you’re a serious fan that is interested in everything being analyzed by he book to the nth degree Walton is not for you because he is going to ignore a lot of things as he diverges onto his rant episodes. He is often spot on pointing out things but it’s maybe 20% of the time. I personally like the comedy but if it were my team in an important conference or championship caliber game I wouldn’t want him calling it when things get serious.

Reaction Score
I understand the wide range of emotions on Walton because if you’re a serious fan that is interested in everything being analyzed by he book to the nth degree Walton is not for you because he is going to ignore a lot of things as he diverges onto his rant episodes. He is often spot on pointing out things but it’s maybe 20% of the time. I personally like the comedy but if it were my team in an important conference or championship caliber game I wouldn’t want him calling it when things get serious.

I'm with you on this thought. I mean I admit to not liking him on a UConn game but I watch a lot of college hoops and when he's doing UCLA/Zona, AZSt/Oregon I could care less what anyone is saying unless it's fun. And let's admit not being a big player in the nation or the league for now is offering up some real crappy announcers these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom