Bill Self proves my point again!! | The Boneyard

Bill Self proves my point again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thank you Bill Self!!

Once again you came through and proved my point again.

Stop the offensive action, stop Kansas!

Worst coach ever at making adjustments.

No matter how good your team is, you always lose.

Surprisingly you keep doing the same thing over and over again even though it only works for conference championships, which is great, but I rather have 4 NCAA rings than 11 Big 12 rings.​

Reaction Score
Huh? He had the best team in arguably the best basketball conference in the country this year. Kansas lost to a very good Villanova team that might be playing the best team basketball left in the tournament...

I'm sure 355 other basketball programs in D1 would love to have Bill Self's services right now

Reaction Score
Huh? He had the best team in arguably the best basketball conference in the country this year. Kansas lost to a very good Villanova team that might be playing the best team basketball left in the tournament...

I'm sure 355 other basketball programs in D1 would love to have Bill Self's services right now
Last 8 years for Kansas Basketball...

Number 1 seed- 4 times
Number 2 seed- 3 times
Number 3 seed- 1 time

How many final fours??

That is embarrassing.....

Much rather be the Huskies with 4 national championships over the last 16-17 years, almost 1 every 4 years.

Reaction Score

Number 1 seed- 4 times
Number 2 seed- 3 times
Number 3 seed- 1 time

How many final fours??

Much rather be the Huskies with 4 national championships over the last 16-17 years, almost 1 every 4 years.

Seven of the last eight years, Kansas has either been a one or a two seed.....nothing about that is embarrassing at all. That level of sustained success is unparalleled in the college game right now, especially with the climate of the one and done players. The fact that Self has made it to the tournament eight consecutive years, with his lowest seeding ending up as a three seed is remarkable.

Reaction Score
We as fans complain that UConn hasn't won a regular season championship since 2006(!) yet we dismiss Bill Self and Kansas winning 12 straight.

He's got a 385-83 career record at Kansas, averaging almost 30 wins a season. Overall, he's been coaching for 23 years at 4 different schools, and has made the NCAA tourney in 18 of those years (actually 18 straight)

4 times he's gone to the Elite Eight with Kansas (and an additional 2 with other teams).

Twice he's been to the National Championship game, winning one.

He's not that bad.

Reaction Score
The Bill Self led Kansas Jayhawks are The Luther Vandross with the Jerri Curl with the curl that just doesn't quite... ya know.. just doesn't quite... curl right...

Reaction Score
The Bill Self led Kansas Jayhawks are The Luther Vandross with the Jerri Curl with the curl that just doesn't quite... ya know.. just doesn't quite... curl right...

UVA is similar, but they're just choke artists...

Reaction Score
Seven of the last eight years, Kansas has either been a one or a two seed.....nothing about that is embarrassing at all. That level of sustained success is unparalleled in the college game right now, especially with the climate of the one and done players. The fact that Self has made it to the tournament eight consecutive years, with his lowest seeding ending up as a three seed is remarkable.
To each his own.

If I were a Kansas fan I would be extremely disappointed with the constant early exits in the NCAA tournament.

Great regular season success, but horrible postseasons.

Like I said before I much rather be Uconn fan than a Kansas fan over the last 17 years.

FYI..

Jim Calhoun is ten times better game coach than Bill Self, so are a lot of other coaches.

Bill Self is one of the last coaches big coaches I would want to coach my team in postseason game.

Reaction Score
Well said!!

Reaction Score
We as fans complain that UConn hasn't won a regular season championship since 2006(!) yet we dismiss Bill Self and Kansas winning 12 straight.

He's got a 385-83 career record at Kansas, averaging almost 30 wins a season. Overall, he's been coaching for 23 years at 4 different schools, and has made the NCAA tourney in 18 of those years (actually 18 straight)

4 times he's gone to the Elite Eight with Kansas (and an additional 2 with other teams).

Twice he's been to the National Championship game, winning one.

He's not that bad.
I have never complain once about us not winning a lot of conference championships.

The ultimate goal is to win the national championships.

Do you realize how many coaches and teams have won conference championships?

Do you realize how many coaches and teams won national championships, pretty short list.

Do you realize how many coaches and teams have won 4 conference championships?

Do you realize how many coaches and teams have won 4 national championships, an even shorter list.

Never been concerned with conference championships, they are important when you are building a program, once your program is elite, so irrelevant.

Go ask Villanova about that!!

Reason why Arc and Wright were crying at the end of Saturday's game.

Reaction Score
If you compare our last 10 years to Self's last ten years, I'm not entirely sure which one I'd pick. Set aside emotions (I love Kemba and Shabazz, et al., because they were Huskies first and foremost) for a minute. If you prefer having two titles instead of one, it's UConn. By any measure of regular season performance, Kansas has been better. Now, it's all about the rings...but given that he does have one, I would not find it shocking to hear that some fans would prefer the outright dominance of a P5 conference for a decade or more.

Yes, Kansas has often disappointed in the big dance...but only because they were in the position to do so. UConn maximized its chances, which is awesome for us...but what Self has done is commendable too, even if he "should" have won more national championships. (Save the "cheater" label...this post is based on the merits, not the rumors.)

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I have never complain once about us not winning a lot of conference championships.

The ultimate goal is to win the national championships.

Do you realize how many coaches and teams have won conference championships?

Do you realize how many coaches and teams won national championships, pretty short list.

Do you realize how many coaches and teams have won 4 conference championships?

Do you realize how many coaches and teams have won 4 national championships, an even shorter list.

Never been concerned with conference championships, they are important when you are building a program, once your program is elite, so irrelevant.

Go ask Villanova about that!!

Reason why Arc and Wright were crying at the end of Saturday's game.

Why do you type like this?

Reaction Score

Number 1 seed- 4 times
Number 2 seed- 3 times
Number 3 seed- 1 time

How many final fours??

1990-1998 UConn Basketball (8 Years)

Number 1 seed - 2 times
Number 2 seed - 3 times
Number 9 seed - 1 time
Number 11 seed - 1 time

Missed tourney - 1 time

How many final fours??

Jim Calhoun should be embarrassed....

Reaction Score
I think this is a legitimate debate. Remember all the crap JC took in the 90s for not being able to get to a FF and win a NC? Would you rather have the UConn years from 89/90 through 97/98 or 2010/11 through 2013/14? I'm personally happier with the 2 NC's, but for those 7-8 years, UConn's regular season dominance was incredible (remember 49-5 in the Big East in Ray's 3 years?). Not saying I have an opinion on Self as a coach, but I think I take the NC's over the conference championships....and if I'm a Kansas fan, I'm definitely questioning why he hasn't had more success in March.

Reaction Score
1990-1998 UConn Basketball (8 Years)

Number 1 seed - 2 times
Number 2 seed - 3 times
Number 9 seed - 1 time
Number 11 seed - 1 time

Missed tourney - 1 time

How many final fours??

Jim Calhoun should be embarrassed....
Here is the big question with that statement...

Do you believe Bill Self will win 2 more NCAA titles?

I don't believe so, why? Because again, I believe he is a system coach, runs that same offensive action no matter what, when a team stops it, he has nowhere to go, can't make adjustments.

Why has Coach K been so successful??

Because he was willing to make adjustments, he now plays an open flow offense, let's players shoot and gives his players offensive freedown, which is something he didn't give his first 20 years.

Reaction Score
I think this is a legitimate debate. Remember all the crap JC took in the 90s for not being able to get to a FF and win a NC? Would you rather have the UConn years from 89/90 through 97/98 or 2010/11 through 2013/14? I'm personally happier with the 2 NC's, but for those 7-8 years, UConn's regular season dominance was incredible (remember 49-5 in the Big East in Ray's 3 years?). Not saying I have an opinion on Self as a coach, but I think I take the NC's over the conference championships....and if I'm a Kansas fan, I'm definitely questioning why he hasn't had more success in March.
A reason why they now call college basketball a March sport.

They have made the tournament so big now it gobbles up the regular season, for true college basketball fans like us, it sucks, but it gives the 10 seed Syracuse's of the world to have a magical season/run.

Would I rather a 16 team tournament, yes definitely, would put more stress and make the regular season games more important, similar to college football.

Reaction Score

I don't believe so, why? Because again, I believe he is a system coach, runs that same offensive action no matter what, when a team stops it, he has nowhere to go, can't make adjustments.

Because he was willing to make adjustments, he now plays an open flow offense, let's players shoot and gives his players offensive freedown, which is something he didn't give his first 20 years.

Will Bill Self win 2 more national titles? Yes maybe no. Does Bill Self put himself into a great position by constantly bringing in top ten recruiting classes each year? Absolutely.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure what you're asking here... JC for the decade of the 90s was known as the coach who could not win the big one. UConn the team that could not play half-court offense or was soft (no adjustments from coaching staff?) Self has already won the big one, has his team winning 30 games a year, and is a regular threat. I have no idea if he'll win two more titles. Just seems your argument is pretty hollow considering how successful they've been.

On the Coach K element, you are talking about arguably the best college basketball coach ever. Was is your point? That he took an amazing coaching career, filled with numerous final fours and multiple championships, and got better?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you compare our last 10 years to Self's last ten years, I'm not entirely sure which one I'd pick. Set aside emotions (I love Kemba and Shabazz, et al., because they were Huskies first and foremost) for a minute. If you prefer having two titles instead of one, it's UConn. By any measure of regular season performance, Kansas has been better. Now, it's all about the rings...but given that he does have one, I would not find it shocking to hear that some fans would prefer the outright dominance of a P5 conference for a decade or more.

Yes, Kansas has often disappointed in the big dance...but only because they were in the position to do so. UConn maximized its chances, which is awesome for us...but what Self has done is commendable too, even if he "should" have won more national championships. (Save the "cheater" label...this post is based on the merits, not the rumors.)

Not sure?
So what is/should be the ultimate goal? National Championships or conference championships? The ultimate goal not goals
Any fan who would be satisfied with conference championships over a decade are Kansas/Gonzaga/Wichita State fans. I would guarantee that 99.9% would trade all the league trophies for that National Championship hardware. If not, I question their sanity.
If you want to brag about league championships go to one of those schools
If you enjoy being a bridesmaid or best man go to MSU
If you want to brag about 20 plus wins every season - go to a bunch of schools out there
If you want to brag about multitude National Champion in the past 20 years there is an awfully closed fraternity but there's a school in Storrs CT that is a member

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you're asking here... JC for the decade of the 90s was known as the coach who could not win the big one. UConn the team that could not play half-court offense or was soft (no adjustments from coaching staff?) Self has already won the big one, has his team winning 30 games a year, and is a regular threat. I have no idea if he'll win two more titles. Just seems your argument is pretty hollow considering how successful they've been.

On the Coach K element, you are talking about arguably the best college basketball coach ever. Was is your point? That he took an amazing coaching career, filled with numerous final fours and multiple championships, and got better?
In my eyes, Jim Calhoun is one of the greatest in game coaches of all time.

In my eyes, Bill Self is not a good in game coach. Bill Self over the last 12 years has had much more success in the regular season than Jim Calhoun, not very comparable, Bill Self has won 12 regular conference championships in a row in a big 5 conference. That's why his NCAA postseason play has been such a huge disappointment. Plus, let's not get this twisted, he does have the one title, but that one title he does have will always be known as the game that Calipari, Rose, and the Memphis Tigers gave away and collapse because of poor coaching and poor foul shooting. Every time I think of Bill Self's national championship that is the first thought that comes to my mind, Memphis collapse.

As far as Coach K, reason why coach K continues to have success is because he has been able to change over time, become more flexible with players, coaches, and program. Something Bob Knight wasn't able to do.

Reaction Score
Not sure?
So what is/should be the ultimate goal? National Championships or conference championships? The ultimate goal not goals
Any fan who would be satisfied with conference championships over a decade are Kansas/Gonzaga/Wichita State fans. I would guarantee that 99.9% would trade all the league trophies for that National Championship hardware. If not, I question their sanity.
If you want to brag about league championships go to one of those schools
If you enjoy being a bridesmaid or best man go to MSU
If you want to brag about 20 plus wins every season - go to a bunch of schools out there
If you want to brag about multitude National Champion in the past 20 years there is an awfully closed fraternity but there's a school in Storrs CT that is a member
Very well said!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3