Bill Corley and Wes Bialosuknia | The Boneyard

Bill Corley and Wes Bialosuknia

Reaction Score
How would they have performed if they had played in the old BE, AAC, and hypothetically in the new BE?

And, just wondering if any of their children (male or female) played BB scholastically and in college, and if so, how they performed?

Reaction Score
Bialasuknia could play anytime because he was a lights out shooter. With the 3 point line he would be an asset in today's game. Corley I am not do sure about, 6'7" and thin. Did not really have a jump shot. I remember I cried when he scored 51 points to break Bialasuknia' s single game scoring record.
Quick, without cheating, what # was Corley?

Reaction Score
How would they have performed if they had played in the old BE, AAC, and hypothetically in the new BE?

And, just wondering if any of their children (male or female) played BB scholastically and in college, and if so, how they performed?
Wes averaged 28 pts one yr without a 3 pt line.. HOFer Rick Barry (an ABA teammate) said he was the best long range shooter he had ever seen in BB.. And Barry averaged 37+ pts per game in college. Held the ABA/NBA record for consecutive threes in a game for quite awhile (pre-merger).. Fred Shabel gave him the green light to shoot as soon as he got over half court..Which he frequently took advantage of.. Not known for his D.. Easily a 20 pt+ scorer with a three point line in today's BE .. IMO..Wes was a better long range shooter(in college) than Ray or R.Anderson.. Corley was a warrior..Could see him being a 10pts/10 Reb in today's BE..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wes averaged 28 pts one yr without a 3 pt line.. HOFer Rick Barry (an ABA teammate) said he was the best long range shooter he had ever seen in BB.. And Barry averaged 37+ pts per game in college. Held the ABA/NBA record for consecutive threes in a game for quite awhile (pre-merger).. Fred Shabel gave him the green light to shoot as soon as he got over half court..Which he frequently took advantage of.. Not known for his D.. Easily a 20 pt+ scorer with a three point line in today's BE .. IMO..Wes was a better long range shooter(in college) than Ray or R.Anderson.. Corley was a warrior..Could see him being a 10pts/10 Reb in today's BE..
As you may recall, Bill Corley had excellent footwork in the low post, and watching Isaiah Whaley near the basket the second part of this season, brought back memories of Bill Corley. Though, Bill Corley was not a great foul shooter. I was at the New Hampshire game where I think he set a school record of 56 points. Had he made more foul shots , he could have scored 60 or more.

I recall that Wes had a very quick shot release.

Reaction Score
As you may recall, Bill Corley had excellent footwork in the low post, and watching Isaiah Whaley near the basket the second part of this season, brought back memories of Bill Corley. Though, Bill Corley was not a great foul shooter. I was at the New Hampshire game where I think he set a school record of 56 points. Had he made more foul shots , he could have scored 60 or more.

51 points

Reaction Score
Wes has always fascinated me. I’ve talked about it before. My parents were on campus at that time and my dad always mentioned Wes when I was a kid. I was a shooter and I worked at it for hours a day. Wes was a legend in my mind and as I learned to shoot with deeper and deeper range I’d ask my dad if I was getting to “Wes range” yet.

One thing people who haven’t played the game really competitively don’t understand is that a great jump shot doesn’t allow you to play at any level. The athletes of today will shut down shooters. There is a lot more to it than a deadly jump shot. Steph Curry gets shots with a lot of craftiness and ball handling that few people have. I was a good shooter but a D1 athlete would neutralize me most of the time. I’d guess Wes could still play, but he’d have a much, much harder time. I’d put an athlete on him and bye bye open jump shots. He’d have to work much harder to get open.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Corley was a jumping jack. I don't know his vertical but it was pretty good. Great rebounder.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Corley could shoot and sky. In today’s game he’d be a 3 with a great first step. The game where he beat Bialosuknia’s record was kind of a crime. They were playing a bad New Hampshire team. Corley needed over 20, actually 24 I think, points in a pretty short time to break the record. His coach, Burr Carlson said he knew Corley could beat the record, a real joke under the circumstances, and he was fed the ball over and over again down the stretch when he probably should have been out of the game. I liked his game a lot, but that was a purposeful decision by his coach to let him break the record.

Wes was my year and while Ray Allen was a terrific shooter and easily a better pro than Wes, nobody in UConn history was close to him as a pure college shooter. He was also one of the top foul shooters in the country. He had to play freshman ball and he was something like a crazy 98 or 99 of 101 and maybe his senior year he had a FT streak I think in the high 30s. His overall records were over a 3,year career in a shorter schedule than today by several games. No conference tournament and they never went far in post season when he was there.

Reaction Score
I’ve always wished there was more film of Wes available online. From what I’ve seen, most of his long jumpers were really only 19-20 footers. I haven’t seen any of the supposed bombs he threw up. Back then, 20 footers were bombs, maybe that was his range and the 30-35 footers never really happened. His stroke was pure and beautiful, a text book jumper.

Reaction Score
Wes has always fascinated me. I’ve talked about it before. My parents were on campus at that time and my dad always mentioned Wes when I was a kid. I was a shooter and I worked at it for hours a day. Wes was a legend in my mind and as I learned to shoot with deeper and deeper range I’d ask my dad if I was getting to “Wes range” yet.

One thing people who haven’t played the game really competitively don’t understand is that a great jump shot doesn’t allow you to play at any level. The athletes of today will shut down shooters. There is a lot more to it than a deadly jump shot. Steph Curry gets shots with a lot of craftiness and ball handling that few people have. I was a good shooter but a D1 athlete would neutralize me most of the time. I’d guess Wes could still play, but he’d have a much, much harder time. I’d put an athlete on him and bye bye open jump shots. He’d have to work much harder to get open.
Curry is a great shooter, but does get a lot of screens from Draymond Green and other players. Wes actually was held down by Matt Guokas I think from St. Joe's, in a post-season game. Matt was 6'6" so the height was a factor. But, good screening helps any shooter. I remember Rashad Anderson as being a catch and shoot guy, who got good screens too.

I think moving well without the ball is important. I watched Bill Bradley and his shots came from excellent movement without the ball, and maybe some good screening too. I don't remember him as necessarily being a good ball handler.

I think Wes was not a great ball handler, but good enough to get off his shot. Agreed that today's athletes are far superior. Maybe this is so because of better natural ability, but also because of better flexibility exercises and superior trainers who can maximize the athlete's ability using band walks to improve forward and lateral movement. I think the TRX (fairly recent device) is a good tool to improve overall balance to aid some moves.

Natural ability is paramount, but techniques can improve performance. Doncic is terrific and uses head fakes and spin moves as part of his repertoire. I suspect he was taught these by great trainers, or self-taught. With Youtube that is possible today.

Reaction Score
Saw Wes play when I was a kid. What a beautiful jump shot he had. Quick release. I remember a game against UNH, UConn would be running a fast break and let Wes shoot from about 25 feet. Backcourt running mate at point guard was Tom Penders.

Reaction Score
The highlights of that game are somewhere online. He was pulling up from 20’, basically the high school 3 point line. At that time that was a long ball. I don’t doubt he could shoot it from 25’ but I haven’t seen it on film. 55 years ago most 25’ foot shots were ugly set shots as time expired. There just wasn’t much reason to practice anything beyond 20’ back then. A 20’ pull up jumper was considered a bad shot until 15 years ago. I doubt he was stroking 25-35 footers with the coach’s blessing.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I am friends with Wes' son and had the pleasure to meet Wes a few times prior to him passing. Really a genuinely great person who was more proud about his academic achievements than his basketball prowess. I know his daughter was a good basketball player and his son was a good baseball player. I do not believe either played anywhere after high school though.

I have a copy of the 50 point game against Maine, on vinyl, and during that game he was routinely pulling up from just over half court according to game announcer. My understanding from talking to him and those who had the pleasure of watching him playlive that the majority of his shots would have been from beyond the 3 point line. Now this is before the arc has been pushed back multiple times, but pulling up over half court routinely makes me believe his range really was from one step inside the gym.

Also, a great story Wes told me at his son's wedding...I cannot remember if they were playing American International or he was just watching American International play, but Wes said he was taken back by this young guy on AI who was all over the floor like a madman, diving for lose balls, just being a pest everywhere. He said he had this crazy look in his eyes the whole game. That player was Jim Calhoun. Obviously Wes told this story much better than I could ever relay it.

Reaction Score
Bob Staak, who followed Wes by a year or so, also shot often from deep. I’m talking 10’ past the top of the key.

Reaction Score
I am friends with Wes' son and had the pleasure to meet Wes a few times prior to him passing. Really a genuinely great person who was more proud about his academic achievements than his basketball prowess. I know his daughter was a good basketball player and his son was a good baseball player. I do not believe either played anywhere after high school though.

I have a copy of the 50 point game against Maine, on vinyl, and during that game he was routinely pulling up from just over half court according to game announcer. My understanding from talking to him and those who had the pleasure of watching him playlive that the majority of his shots would have been from beyond the 3 point line. Now this is before the arc has been pushed back multiple times, but pulling up over half court routinely makes me believe his range really was from one step inside the gym.

Also, a great story Wes told me at his son's wedding...I cannot remember if they were playing American International or he was just watching American International play, but Wes said he was taken back by this young guy on AI who was all over the floor like a madman, diving for lose balls, just being a pest everywhere. He said he had this crazy look in his eyes the whole game. That player was Jim Calhoun. Obviously Wes told this story much better than I could ever relay it.
If Wes had the advantage of a three point line..AAU grooming..24/7 practice/skills development like today's kids.. Playing freshman year,etc. He would have been even more prolific at UConn.. Side story..After his senior season he went on a 'barnstorming tour" around Ct with his UConn teammates who had also graduated and could make money as "pros".. Walks into a gym in Simsbury he had never been to..Plays vs the East Hartford Explorers..A semi-pro BB team made up of former college BB players.. Many of whom were All-Conference in their own respective leagues while in school.. Drops 55 pts on them with defenders all over him.. Many of his made buckets were beyond today's CBB 3 pt line..Was there and saw it myself..Pretty impressive.. Another player from this era who would have held his own in today's BE ..Led the NCAA in rebounds ..Was Toby Kimball..

Reaction Score
Saw Wes play when I was a kid. What a beautiful jump shot he had. Quick release. I remember a game against UNH, UConn would be running a fast break and let Wes shoot from about 25 feet. Backcourt running mate at point guard was Tom Penders.
I saw Wes play too. Here's something most of you probably didn't know about that team. Wes was considered the number player in that freshman class. The big star was Bill Hollowaty who never got a chance to show what he could do because of an injury.

Reaction Score
[

[/QUOTE]

I was at that game in the old field house. We were the far better team and had a comfortable lead throughout the game, but I remember someone in the stands say "who is that guy on AI. He's pretty good". Someone looked it up in the 2 page program that listed the players for each team and said "some guy named Calhoun". And fyi, he was pretty good.

I never connected this until I read/heard that JC played for AI in the early 60's. Great memories with Wes, Kimball, Holowatty and the fieldhouse.

Reaction Score
Curry is a great shooter, but does get a lot of screens from Draymond Green and other players. Wes actually was held down by Matt Guokas I think from St. Joe's, in a post-season game. Matt was 6'6" so the height was a factor. But, good screening helps any shooter. I remember Rashad Anderson as being a catch and shoot guy, who got good screens too.

I think moving well without the ball is important. I watched Bill Bradley and his shots came from excellent movement without the ball, and maybe some good screening too. I don't remember him as necessarily being a good ball handler.

I think Wes was not a great ball handler, but good enough to get off his shot. Agreed that today's athletes are far superior. Maybe this is so because of better natural ability, but also because of better flexibility exercises and superior trainers who can maximize the athlete's ability using band walks to improve forward and lateral movement. I think the TRX (fairly recent device) is a good tool to improve overall balance to aid some moves.

Natural ability is paramount, but techniques can improve performance. Doncic is terrific and uses head fakes and spin moves as part of his repertoire. I suspect he was taught these by great trainers, or self-taught. With Youtube that is possible today.
[/QUOTE

I was in attendance for the St. Josephs game in 1965 at The Palestra. St. Joes was ranked #3 in the country I believe. UConn lost by six. I thought Matt Goukas was allowed to manhandle Wes that night. Toby Kimball scored about 20 and also had 29 rebounds. I felt UConn could have beaten St. Joes with a little better shooting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom