Biggest concern | The Boneyard

Biggest concern

Reaction Score
Not even gonna get into player evaluation, talent level, offensive sets, defense, etc. our roster is what it is right now. Ain’t gonna change until next year.

My big concern is the deer in the headlights look from the Coach on down. As soon as this team gets punched in the mouth, they curl up and suck their collective thumbs. DH supposedly is a fiery guy, but it doesn’t seem as if he’s really going after these guys for completely lackluster EFFORT (again, not commenting on talent). He needs to do something drastic to get control of this quickly. Yes he sat Josh and Tyler for long spells today. But it just seems like the entire program gives up with such ease. He’s gotta become a real SOB to establish the culture he keeps talking about.

At this point, I honestly don’t care about W/L this year. We know what needs to happen for this team to get better, and I’m pretty confident DH can find and bring in talent once the riff raff is gone. He HAS to demand effort and fire, or literally put guys on the bench. This is the time for him to put his mark on the program. The talk has to stop. We need a serious attitude adjustment. Or this whole thing is gonna go straight down the toilet. Very interested to see how he responds to this adversity, when it’s clear that more than half the team cannot light their own fire internally.

Reaction Score
The strangest thing is that it seemed like they had excised this problem earlier in the year. The team that played Xavier to double OT and continually dug themselves out of holes does not resemble the team that just got run out of the gym by USF.

Reaction Score
Well we just have not one star player out there right now. We've for a long time had at least 1 on the floor. Even KO had 1 every year. This year not one guy that can get a bucket. Potentially another year like this. Akok and Bouk are freshmen they need to make a big jump in efficiency and minutes next year.

Reaction Score
Until we get a scorer who we can depend on , or a consistent offensive player who can give us 16 points or more game in and game out, this will be a long season. Not one player will sniff an all league team outside of Akok who is not the offensive juggernaut we need.

We have some young'uns who appear to be able to 'get there' but as of right now we have a major deficiency in star talent or reliable talent. Sadly this is what a mid-major roster looks like.

Reaction Score
Well we just have not one star player out there right now. We've for a long time had at least 1 on the floor. Even KO had 1 every year. This year not one guy that can get a bucket. Potentially another year like this. Akok and Bouk are freshmen they need to make a big jump in efficiency and minutes next year.

Who did KO have his last two years. Jalen Adams doesn't count

Reaction Score
Agree w all responses so far. But effort and attitude does not require talent. It’s a mindset. Our mindset needs to change first. Until it does, this is going to continue to happen.

Reaction Score
Agree w all responses so far. But effort and attitude does not require talent. It’s a mindset. Our mindset needs to change first. Until it does, this is going to continue to happen.
This is the hardest thing to change. The coach has to be able to sell it. The players have to buy it. They also have to trust and sacrifice for each other.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern is all this losing is going to limit recruiting. I don’t care how good of a recruiter your are if your teams can’t make the dance.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Who did KO have his last two years. Jalen Adams doesn't count
Good point. The poor performance in KO's final years falls at the feet of the person responsible for the roster.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DH's game management and substitutions leave me head scratching as well as his dwelling on the "old poor me" to the refs.
But it's really hard to win when everyone of your players are shorter and 20 lbs of muscle lighter than the opponent. UConn is going to face this vs every AAC team this season and next in the NBE. Only exceptions will be the UNHs etc.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
My biggest concern is that Hurley isn’t coaching the team he has well enough. I know, we don’t have strength, we don’t have enough talent, ‘Ollie’s players “ are still here, yadda yadda yadda.

We should have enough talent to stay with teams like Cincy and USF. But we aren’t getting the most out of what we have, not even close. Our defense is Swiss cheese, nobody blocks out, our offense is of questionable design, and there’s not enough intensity and effort from the team as a whole. That’s coaching.

I don’t expect them to be world beaters this year. Not enough talent for that. But I expected them to be competitive with everyone. There is enough talent for that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom