Bigger Problem - lack of quality wins | The Boneyard

Bigger Problem - lack of quality wins

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So UConn's non-conference schedule is just about over. UConn has 3 doormats coming up, and then Villanova in January. Other than Memphis, I don't think there is an NCAA lock in the American, and quality wins are going to be few and far between. The American is looking like a 2-3 bid league right now.

It is one thing if UConn just wasn't good enough, but to lose two quality wins close because of hero ball by the same two players is incredibly frustrating. UConn can only afford to lose maybe 4-5 games in league play and get a bid.

pj

Reaction Score
Bigger problem than what? The only problem is how to be the best possible basketball team. If we improve, then we can win the conference or finish in the top 3 with some quality conference wins, and eke out a spot based on computer rankings.

If we have been losing because of bad play by our guards, then we know what to improve. That's half the battle.

Last edited:

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
We need to beat either Nova/Memphis and not drop more than 5-6 other games in conference. And we can't afford one of those losses versus the AAC dregs... we already have our bad loss on the year to St Joe's.

Losing tonight and vs XU will prove to be very costly.

Reaction Score
For UConn to make an at large bid, they basically have to finish top 4 in the conference. There are some quality wins out there to be had still, but they cannot afford Bad losses anymore. I know this is getting way ahead of things, but every game matters to a team like this. Two games against Cincinnati, Memphis, and Houston, along with Nova and Wich st, if they can somehow go 5-3, maybe 4-4 in that stretch, they’ll be right there (assuming no more bad losses). The Margin of error continues to lessen with losses like these. It’s going to be a tough road to get there. I’m hopeful they can get there, but it’s going to take some gritty road wins to pull this thing out.

Reaction Score
Based on Gilbert and Vital’s inconsistent play as much as I hate to say this, we ain’t dancing. That to me is a shame because we have enough talent that should enable us to make it. Hurley would have to think out of the box and hurt some egos in the process. Most coaches won’t do that with their upper class men but Gilbert and Vital keep making the same mistakes game in and out. 22 turnovers is completely unacceptable. So the question is what should Hurley do? I don’t have the answer and I don’t get paid 3 million to get one. And maybe there is no answer this year but something needs to be tried out Because this road isn’t going to the tourney And 25 point cupcake wins doesn’t change anything.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What is important will be:
Iona and SHU staying in the top 200
Buffalo getting in the top 100
Miami being top 75
Florida staying in the 30s-40s
Gross misconduct discovered for St Joe’s leading to the forfeiture of their season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Even bigger problem, my ass is already dragging and it is only 10:21 AM. Late night win, no problem. Late night loss, CL82 is tired and cranky the next day.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Yes the lack of quality wins may be a big problem. And what really hurts is that we should have beaten both X and IU -we weren't beaten down like in the previous years with 20+ pt losses. They were our games to lose which of course - we did. UConn can still get a W @ Nova, and 2x Memphis - but won't if we get same careless decision making by the guards - in that case, we don't deserve to be in the NCAAs. But I remain hopeful.

Reaction Score
Woulda coulda shoulda... 3 bad losses but losses nonetheless. Going to need a Christmas miracle for us to dance this year. I just don't see it happening. Crushing Miami was fools gold. I'm afraid this is going to be a pattern this year. Only way we have a shot is if Gilbert and Vitale play like senior leaders but their inconsistent play is killing us.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom