big WNBA news--change in playoff format | The Boneyard

big WNBA news--change in playoff format

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I think this is a welcome change. No more byes. No more one and out.

Reaction Score
Really interesting that Games 1 and 2 are hosted by the higher seed in the best of 3, with the 3rd Game on the lower seeds home court.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I wonder if this is something the league had been considering for a while, or if it was a knee jerk reaction to none of the teams receiving byes advancing in the playoffs this last season?

Reaction Score
There are some who seem to dislike the bye option going away. I recall the reporter who covers UConn for their local paper and a couple others on Twitter bringing this up.

Personally, I don't know if losing the bye is a good or bad thing just yet. This season, the bye didn't provide much benefit from what I remember. Only time will tell.

This format kind of reminds me of what it was like with the NBA years ago when the first round was a best of 5, with the following rounds being best of 7.

Reaction Score
I like the fact that the WNBA is not afraid to try new things. I am not gonna lie. I am a huge fan of the single elimination game. Sad to see it go away. I think that first year (2016) Phoenix was an 8th seed. Took out a 5th seed and a 3rd seed team. Phoenix ended up getting swept by Minnesota in the Semis. Made for some exciting games in those single elimination games.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like the fact that the WNBA is not afraid to try new things. I am not gonna lie. I am a huge fan of the single elimination game. Sad to see it go away. I think that first year (2016) Phoenix was an 8th seed. Took out a 5th seed and a 3rd seed team. Phoenix ended up getting swept by Minnesota in the Semis. Made for some exciting games in those single elimination games.
Agreed. I liked the old system except I thought the second round should have been 2 of 3. Definitely a reaction to the players. I never heard a player endorse the one and done.

Reaction Score
Even Sue Bird was quoted this year saying she didn't like the single elimination, that she'd like to see the league do a series. So not surprising.

Reaction Score
I see the pros and cons to the single elimination game. There are fringe benefits to the league and teams by expanding the play-off format though.

More games mean more ticket sales and broadcasting revenue. I don't blame the WNBA working on leveraging the increase in viewership to their advantage.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I think this is a welcome change. No more byes. No more one and out.
They saw the #6 seed Sky beat the #5 seed Mercury in the finals and said "Nope, nope, nope". :p

I know the Sky winning from the #6 seed already made the regular season look pointless, but now it's a especially pointless as there is really very little incentive for finishing with a top seed.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Agreed. I liked the old system except I thought the second round should have been 2 of 3. Definitely a reaction to the players. I never heard a player endorse the one and done.
Exactly the same for me. Single elim is fine for the first round where only seeds 5-8 are competing. The #3 or #4 seed getting knocked out in a single-elim game was a bit harsh, though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I prefer the new format, though I don't like the 3rd game being at home for the lower seed, but it gives the higher seed an incentive to sweep. Finishing with a better record gives the advantage of playing a weak team, but no byes. I'm ok with that.

Reaction Score
I prefer the new format, though I don't like the 3rd game being at home for the lower seed, but it gives the higher seed an incentive to sweep. Finishing with a better record gives the advantage of playing a weak team, but no byes. I'm ok with that.
Would have rather seen a first game at top seed, go on road for 2nd game, then back to top seed for 3rd game if necessary.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I still don't like it when over half the teams make the playoffs. I know other leagues do it, but that doesn't make it right. I'd prefer a first-round bye for the top two and the first round be 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5.

But this is a HUGE improvement of two rounds of one-and-done. I hate the single play-in wildcard game in MLB too.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
The 'one and done' playoff game adds spice to the contest. However, if this system is preferable, so be it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom