Big win in a lot of ways | The Boneyard

Big win in a lot of ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No sugarcoating it, this was a huge win. We are playing for a tourny bid and this was a huge step in getting there. Let's beat Memphis and then deal with Temple on the road. I liked everything about today's win. Purvis was a star and is starting to show what we have been waiting to see, Boat stole Nic Moore's lunch money and Hamilton was a beast in the second half. Biggest thing, Ollie was really coaching them up like crazy today and got the Larry Brown monkey off his back. SMU is a grown man team and we basically led the whole game and when things started looking shaky and they got the lead we found our second gear and took the game by the throat. It's March and we are starting to look like UConn!

Reaction Score
The best thing the win does is that now believe they can beat SMU. It was starting to get into Louisville territory with them.

If the XL crowd shows up like they did today for the tournament I like our chances against anyone. I'll like them even better if SMU gets knocked out though. It took the game of Purvis life to beat them. You hate to put the balance of our season on one player's shoulders but it really all comes down to Rodney for this team. He has to score and play well for the team to reach it's full potential.

Reaction Score
when things started looking shaky and they got the lead we found our second gear and took the game by the throat.

More specifically, Purvis and Hamilton took it by the throat. That's a good sign for this year, yes, but it's a GREAT sign for next.

Reaction Score
Having a senior point guard meant everything. Boat was a true leader when the team got rattled. He was Kemba and Bazz out there when SMU challenged late.

They looked to him (as they should) and he showed not one ounce of frustration or lack of confidence (in his team or losing the game). His teammates had some fear but Boat doesn't know what that word means. He wanted the ball and he wanted to get fouled.

I hope TSam, and Rodney picks that up for next season to continue this trait in our guard(s).

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Most important game of the year and the team came up big.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
We've also cemented a winning record in the AAC with this win. Our worst possible finish now is 10-8.

Reaction Score
The best thing the win does is that now believe they can beat SMU. It was starting to get into Louisville territory with them.

If the XL crowd shows up like they did today for the tournament I like our chances against anyone. I'll like them even better if SMU gets knocked out though. It took the game of Purvis life to beat them. You hate to put the balance of our season on one player's shoulders but it really all comes down to Rodney for this team. He has to score and play well for the team to reach it's full potential.

While Moore didn't play well, Moreira also had a really good game for him.

Reaction Score
While Moore didn't play well, Moreira also had a really good game for him.
SMU is a good team. I didn't really the size they had. They still are the team to beat in the conference tourney. Brown's got something to work with in Texas.

The good news is that if we play them again it will be at home.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The SMU matchup is still a UConn nightmare
However, a win like this is so big in so many ways
Now we play a Memphis team that had no right beating us this year and who blew their game last night vs Tulsa at home.
UConn cannot have any hiccups at home vs Memphis and have to remember they almost beat Temple without Boat last time around

Reaction Score
or it may be as simple as they finally found, and expelled, the guy who's been farting in the pre-jump huddle

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No sugarcoating it, this was a huge win. We are playing for a tourny bid and this was a huge step in getting there. Let's beat Memphis and then deal with Temple on the road. I liked everything about today's win. Purvis was a star and is starting to show what we have been waiting to see, Boat stole Nic Moore's lunch money and Hamilton was a beast in the second half. Biggest thing, Ollie was really coaching them up like crazy today and got the Larry Brown monkey off his back. SMU is a grown man team and we basically led the whole game and when things started looking shaky and they got the lead we found our second gear and took the game by the throat. It's March and we are starting to look like UConn!
Only bone to pick with this is that Rodney was in sixth gear all game except when he had to refuel and stepped on the line.

Reaction Score
It's a win that provides hope, if nothing else. Winning the conference tournament is something we have been hoping to hang our hats on, but without knowing we can beat SMU, it wasn't a real hope in my opinion. Now we know and it's time to see this team finish strong.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The SMU matchup is still a UConn nightmare
However, a win like this is so big in so many ways
Now we play a Memphis team that had no right beating us this year and who blew their game last night vs Tulsa at home.
UConn cannot have any hiccups at home vs Memphis and have to remember they almost beat Temple without Boat last time around

It's a nightmare matchup because they could play Nic Moore against any UConn guard not name Boatright. However, if Purvis could continue to get in the lane and finish the nightmare goes away...

Reaction Score
I think they're ostensibly better than Tulsa and SMU is the only team with comparable talent. They haven't lost a home game to a team since Temple and that includes blow-out wins over the top 2 teams in the conference and a win over Cincy. Being at home, I see them as the favorite.

Problem with this team all year has been finding energy on the road. They're a mess on the road.. In Connecticut, they're a totally different ball club.

Reaction Score
I think they're ostensibly better than Tulsa and SMU is the only team with comparable talent. They haven't lost a home game to a team since Temple and that includes blow-out wins over the top 2 teams in the conference and a win over Cincy. Being at home, I see them as the favorite.

Problem with this team all year has been finding energy on the road. They're a mess on the road.. In Connecticut, they're a totally different ball club.
We blew out SMU? That's news to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC