big time college football continued to embarrass | The Boneyard

big time college football continued to embarrass

Reaction Score
...and yet I watch it: great match-up tomorrow between Alabama and FSU, right?

well, how about this:
Football Favoritism at F.S.U.: The Price One Teacher Paid
disgusting in every way.

Maybe we just should all have believed tOSU's Cardale Jones when he tweeted:
"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS.

And, could someone please remind me, didn't Baylor's football team do something wrong recently?

It'd be great if UConn WCBB got into a competitive conference. But that almost certainly requires improving its football team, and careful what you wish for....

Reaction Score

well, how about this:
disgusting in every way.

"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS.

And, could someone please remind me, didn't Baylor's football team do something wrong recently?

It'd be great if UConn WCBB got into a competitive conference. But that almost certainly requires improving its football team, and careful what you wish for....
Without being in a P5 conference, the money will shrivel to the point where nothing will be sustained. Even WBB.

Reaction Score
Without being in a P5 conference, the money will shrivel to the point where nothing will be sustained. Even WBB.
Do you actually know this to be a fact? Many schools have small or no college football programs and yet field highly competitive sports teams. Just look at Johns Hopkins in lacrosse or a number of the Ivies in crew, equestrianism, etc. They recruit aggressively and are highly successful yet have relatively small athletic budgets. I'm not trying to compare schools. But I don't think it takes a lot to run a basketball program (little Davidson used to be a top dog in MCBB) and it is such a visible part of the State of Connecticut that I'm sure there were always be funds for it.

Reaction Score
Do you actually know this to be a fact? Many schools have small or no college football programs and yet field highly competitive sports teams. Just look at Johns Hopkins in lacrosse or a number of the Ivies in crew, equestrianism, etc. They recruit aggressively and are highly successful yet have relatively small athletic budgets. I'm not trying to compare schools. But I don't think it takes a lot to run a basketball program (little Davidson used to be a top dog in MCBB) and it is such a visible part of the State of Connecticut that I'm sure there were always be funds for it.
Check the size of the endowment funds for Johns Hopkins and the Ivies vs. UConn. All college sports may become untenable soon. The big money sports are simply free minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. That's just my opinion. I think we've seen the peak in interest, and things will become pretty messy. Glad I was able to watch those championships, and we may get a few more WBB, but staying in the American will be the end of us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Check the size of the endowment funds for Johns Hopkins and the Ivies vs. UConn. All college sports may become untenable soon. The big money sports are simply free minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. That's just my opinion. I think we've seen the peak in interest, and things will become pretty messy. Glad I was able to watch those championships, and we may get a few more WBB, but staying in the American will be the end of us.
The Ivies and comparable schools have completely different funding mechanisms than "big time" football & basketball programs where a significant majority of their funding comes from tv revenues and ticket sales.

The Ivies are typically funded primarily by contributions from "well healed" alumni. This includes such things as stadiums, practice facilities and lifetime endowments for head coaches and their assistants, which are often endowed in the name of the particular benefactor.

Reaction Score

well, how about this:
disgusting in every way.

This happens at EVERY SINGLE school in the country, including UConn. I played baseball at UConn and we were not exactly a perennial power, but we also received academic benefits. There are known professors that are "friends of the program". There are also classes like Geology 100 which is known as "rocks for jocks". I could tell you a number of different ways that schools keep their athletes eligible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom