Big Ten's woes can be fixed with addition of Texas, Oklahoma | The Boneyard

Big Ten's woes can be fixed with addition of Texas, Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Real question is if B1G is willing to give Texas its own special LHN deal? If the answer is no, this isn't happening. There is no way Texas will want to be treated equally with the likes of Northwestern, Minny, Maryland and RU.

Reaction Score
Wait, the B1G has woes? I thought they had the conference network that would end all conference networks.

In any case, Texas plus Oklahoma would look pretty good to the SEC or PAC 12 too.

I'm hearing B12 crickets. What does the WVDude say about this?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
without every other factor being counted in, can just 1 person explain to me how or why texas or ok would ever ever ever play in the b10? your honestly trying to tell ppl that texas would like to play half its games every year against michigan, minn and iowa? they really must like cold weather and blue states then. texas and ok can go where ever they want, the b10 thing is a dam joke.

Reaction Score
without every other factor being counted in, can just 1 person explain to me how or why texas or ok would ever ever ever play in the b10? your honestly trying to tell ppl that texas would like to play half its games every year against michigan, minn and iowa? they really must like cold weather and blue states then. texas and ok can go where ever they want, the b10 thing is a dam joke.

Maryland and Rutgers? Other than that, I can't explain it either.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Real question is if B1G is willing to give Texas its own special LHN deal? If the answer is no, this isn't happening. There is no way Texas will want to be treated equally with the likes of Northwestern, Minny, Maryland and RU.

Agreed. Texas doesn't even want to be treated equally with the likes of Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska (hence why they left), Wisconsin, etc.

Reaction Score
Texas/OU are not touching the Big 10. Delany is not disillusioned to believing that's an option.

What does come out of this article is the fact that the Big10 has sucked in bowl games and their overall FB product is on the decline due to more and more talent heading elsewhere(south, boyh due to recruiting and overall migration). That makes you wonder if their next moves would go to further watering down football(Uconn), especially after absorbing Rutgers and Maryland for what was really non FB reasons. I know that Delany makes strategic moves based on future investment, but you would have to think this is a thought.

Reaction Score

Why would they ever play in the big ten? Do you want just the biggest reason?

Hint: it would have nothing to do with the money.

Reaction Score
first media i've seen point out a 5-loss team went to the BCS representng the Big10 in a negative fashion...
Still reading about Uconn from 2 years ago.

if you ignore the facts, Tex and OK to Big10 could happen. As previous post mentions, LHN creates a stumbling point, unless Tex changes their position.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 can have anyone except the two it really wants, Notre Dame and Texas. I suspect just about any other school would agree to anything to join the Big. It is actually sort of funny to watch, or would be if UConn wasn't being left by the wayside.

Reaction Score
Texas/OU are not touching the Big 10. Delany is not disillusioned to believing that's an option.

What does come out of this article is the fact that the Big10 has sucked in bowl games and their overall FB product is on the decline due to more and more talent heading elsewhere(south, boyh due to recruiting and overall migration). That makes you wonder if their next moves would go to further watering down football(Uconn), especially after absorbing Rutgers and Maryland for what was really non FB reasons. I know that Delany makes strategic moves based on future investment, but you would have to think this is a thought.

I suppose that's true. The football side still needs to be considered. Although (and I know this is a crushing blow to many on this board) I don't think UConn was ever in the dicussion to begin with, so not sure it changes much.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
When the B1G was first expanding to 12 Texas was in fact an option and there was mutual interest. FOA revealed an email between Big 10 officials stating that it could be a go however we have a "tech" problem - a reference to Texas Tech. Big 10 did not want to add TT but they are a package deal with Texas.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Why would they ever play in the big ten? Do you want just the biggest reason?

Hint: it would have nothing to do with the money.

please tell me. if your answer is the LHN then your wrong but i'll let u answer what the #1 reason is?

Reaction Score
I think the mutual interst was about 95% BIG and about 5% UT.

There was an excellent article done a few weeks ago on the irony the BIG is becoming - gobs of money combined with poor demopgraphics and poor product on the field, and little to reverse those. I do not see UT in the BIG; I do, however, see OU in the PAC12 someday. UT will make money regardless of where they go, but if you want a pieline of recruits you want to be aligned w/FL, TX or CA, not the rust belt.

Schools south of the mason dixon line are going to make money period; they are interested in improving the on-the-field product. It's the other conferences that are struggling to stay relevant other than on a cable setting.

caw

Reaction Score
PSU and OSU are both eventually become bowl eligible again.

That was the major factor in the Big Ten's down year in bowls. OSU especially hurt as they were the best Big Ten team this year. Throw them in the BCS and move every other Big Ten team down a notch on the bowl list and they have a much better record. Throw in PSU somewhere on that rung and teams like Wisconsin and MSU move further down the bowl rung.

For example: OSU likely gets either the Championship game or at worst takes the Rose Bowl.

If they get the Championship game, does anyone complain, even if they lose? If OSU is in the NC game then the Rose Bowl would have been Nebraska instead of Wisconsin with PSU/Michigan taking Nebraska's spot against Georgia and the other getting South Carolina. Wisconsin then takes a much easier bowl game somewhere else and grabs a win. The Big Ten may not have a much better record but I'd say 3-4 at worst, but likely better and at least has a shot at a NC.

If OSU is eligible and not in the NC game then either they or Nebraska get the Rose Bowl, the other gets Georgia. Much more likely to grab at least one win with those two teams than with Wiscy and Nebraska. Michigan gets South Carolina. PSU would get the game versus MSST. Northwestern gets TCU. MSU and Wisconsin get two easier bowls they likely win.

Likely the Big Ten wins the last four games listed. PSU, NW, MSU and Wiscy.

OSU/Nebraska would be a much better match up with Stanford than Wisconsin and OSU would be the favorite in any game it plays (NC excluded). I think the Big Ten would be 5-2 in bowls at worst if those two teams were eligible instead of merely 2-3.

Reaction Score
please tell me. if your answer is the LHN then your wrong but i'll let u answer what the #1 reason is?

The Big Ten is in a position to generate more dollars than anyone else (with the possible exception of the SEC). Certainly more than the Big XII or Pac Ten. I am not saying Texas or Oklahoma will join the Big Ten, for reasons including (but not limited to) that the Big Ten will not give Texas a special deal on the LHN, but the ability to generate additional dollars is a reason why it could be explored.

Reaction Score
PSU and OSU are both eventually become bowl eligible again.

That was the major factor in the Big Ten's down year in bowls. OSU especially hurt as they were the best Big Ten team this year. Throw them in the BCS and move every other Big Ten team down a notch on the bowl list and they have a much better record. Throw in PSU somewhere on that rung and teams like Wisconsin and MSU move further down the bowl rung.

For example: OSU likely gets either the Championship game or at worst takes the Rose Bowl.

If they get the Championship game, does anyone complain, even if they lose? If OSU is in the NC game then the Rose Bowl would have been Nebraska instead of Wisconsin with PSU/Michigan taking Nebraska's spot against Georgia and the other getting South Carolina. Wisconsin then takes a much easier bowl game somewhere else and grabs a win. The Big Ten may not have a much better record but I'd say 3-4 at worst, but likely better and at least has a shot at a NC.

If OSU is eligible and not in the NC game then either they or Nebraska get the Rose Bowl, the other gets Georgia. Much more likely to grab at least one win with those two teams than with Wiscy and Nebraska. Michigan gets South Carolina. PSU would get the game versus MSST. Northwestern gets TCU. MSU and Wisconsin get two easier bowls they likely win.

Likely the Big Ten wins the last four games listed. PSU, NW, MSU and Wiscy.

OSU/Nebraska would be a much better match up with Stanford than Wisconsin and OSU would be the favorite in any game it plays (NC excluded). I think the Big Ten would be 5-2 in bowls at worst if those two teams were eligible instead of merely 2-3.

Only BIG fans feel they were down this year; they've done nothing in a decade that makes one think of them in the same way they might think of PAC, B12 and, of course, SEC.

Reaction Score
Texas and Oklahoma want nothing to do with the SEC. The resulting schedule would be way to difficult for them. They'd end up not winning their division, not playing in the conference championship and playing in some minor bowl. They just are content being big fish in a small pond.

caw

Reaction Score
Only BIG fans feel they were down this year; they've done nothing in a decade that makes one think of them in the same way they might think of PAC, B12 and, of course, SEC.

I don't see how you couldn't see they were down, if only relatively. OSU and PSU being automatically out of contention destroyed them in bowl matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom