Big Ten Tournament at MSG Secondary Market Prices are Pathetic | The Boneyard

Big Ten Tournament at MSG Secondary Market Prices are Pathetic

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Wanna compare AAC tournament tickets in Hartford? I bought a full tourney pass for $20 last year.

Reaction Score
We will happily welcome the tournament back home when Delany is done experimenting.

-Indianapolis

p.s. It does show that the Big Ten would really like Maryland and Rutgers to not feel like outliers, with a bonus of playing in UConn's home away from home (aka, MSG).

Reaction Score
Instead of shoehorning in dates at MSG for the tournament they could've gotten one weekend of games with Big East teams in that venue during the month of January. That way they can get exposure for the likes of Indiana, Michigan State, Maryland, Northwestern, etc.. Switch teams around every two years so that different teams get to play there. You could even have a Big Ten-Hockey East-Big East hockey/basketball doubleheader on a weekend. Right before the Olympics would be the best time to showcase college hockey.

The tournament can then return permanently back to the Midwest.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s just an overreach from the BigTen.

They’re a midwestern conference that doesn’t relate to New York City and doesn’t have a presence there. There isn’t a school in the conference that has a history at MSG other than Michigan State running off the rails there in 2014. (“But Rutgers!” No. Just no.)

The ACC will make a similar mistake with the idiocy in Brooklyn. Nice of them to make it easy for Syracuse fans and they do have one school with some history in the city, but the conference is a southern hayseed - put this thing back in Greensboro or wherever K wants it.

Reaction Score
The Barclay may do better than Greensboro...

From last year...

"According to TicketIQ.com, which aggregates resale market sites, Friday night’s semifinals at Barclays Center are the most expensive the site ever has recorded, by far.

The $519 average price for Friday night is roughly double what semifinal tickets have gone for over the past five tournaments, three of them in Greensboro and one each in Atlanta and Washington - two other big cities that Boeheim endorsed as ACC sites over Greensboro."

Reaction Score
The Barclay may do better than Greensboro...

From last year...

"According to TicketIQ.com, which aggregates resale market sites, Friday night’s semifinals at Barclays Center are the most expensive the site ever has recorded, by far.

The $519 average price for Friday night is roughly double what semifinal tickets have gone for over the past five tournaments, three of them in Greensboro and one each in Atlanta and Washington - two other big cities that Boeheim endorsed as ACC sites over Greensboro."
The ACC's experience at Barclays Center last year was positive. The Semifinals had sold out attendance. But both the Barclays Center and MSG have long term contracts with the Atlantic 10 and the Big East respectively. And MSG only wants a long term annual agreement. The ACC had to negotiate with the Atlantic 10 to use Barclays Center, and the ACC had to agree to many games with the A10. So I don't know how often we'll be able to do New York. We'll see how it goes this year.

Reaction Score

>>One and done. That was essentially the message from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany, who told the Tribune on Friday the conference tournament would return to Madison Square Garden in New York only if the Big Ten can have the premier weekend — the one the Big East has had locked in since 1983.<<

>>“I know we will be back out East. Where we will be, I don’t know. It won’t be on a regular basis. I expect that 80 percent will be in legacy territory (Chicago and Indianapolis) and probably 20 percent out East, whether it’s in D.C. or Philadelphia or New York.”<<

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

>>One and done. That was essentially the message from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany, who told the Tribune on Friday the conference tournament would return to Madison Square Garden in New York only if the Big Ten can have the premier weekend — the one the Big East has had locked in since 1983.<<

>>“I know we will be back out East. Where we will be, I don’t know. It won’t be on a regular basis. I expect that 80 percent will be in legacy territory (Chicago and Indianapolis) and probably 20 percent out East, whether it’s in D.C. or Philadelphia or New York.”<<

This. The condensed schedule was awful. We played Purdue, @MSU and Maryland in a span of six days. Horrible. We then have to wait an extra week between the BT tournement and the NCAA’s. I hope we never go to this again.

Reaction Score
The ACC's experience at Barclays Center last year was positive. The Semifinals had sold out attendance. But both the Barclays Center and MSG have long term contracts with the Atlantic 10 and the Big East respectively. And MSG only wants a long term annual agreement. The ACC had to negotiate with the Atlantic 10 to use Barclays Center, and the ACC had to agree to many games with the A10. So I don't know how often we'll be able to do New York. We'll see how it goes this year.
As a New Yorker, I know that everyone in NYC is so excited over this tourney this year! Brooklynites are kvelling! They are predicting people to be camping out outside Barclays Center this year who are not homeless! (PS: I know a place where one can get an AirBnb room nearby if you are interested, PM me, but bring your gun!). The City is abuzz! Knickerbockers love the great academics that the ACC brings to NYC! I am predicting a Louisville-UNC Championship!

Reaction Score
As a New Yorker, I know that everyone in NYC is so excited over this tourney this year! Brooklynites are kvelling! They are predicting people to be camping out outside Barclays Center this year who are not homeless! (PS: I know a place where one can get an AirBnb room nearby if you are interested, PM me, but bring your gun!). The City is abuzz! Knickerbockers love the great academics that the ACC brings to NYC! I am predicting a Louisville-UNC Championship!

What? No Duke vs Virginia?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Most of the former Big East schools could commute to NYC for the tournament. Have to think flying to the city and staying for a few nights is just crazy expensive for many people, and I'm not knocking anybody

We had the best conference tournament in college basketball, other leagues are trying to recapture that magic but they won't succeed

:(

Reaction Score
Playing the tournament at MSG is simply hubris on Delany's Part. Could The B1G do it? Sure. Should they? Hell no. It's unfair to the majority of your schools' fans, screws up scheduling, and holds no special meaning to anyone affiliated with the conference. The guy who suggested The basketball/hockey weekend vs Big and Hockey East Opponents had the right idea.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Put the Big Ten tournament in two of the four most populated areas in the country — greater New York City is first, greater Washington, D.C., fourth — and the league can’t fill the building. Why? Because ....

Because Jim picked the wrong NYC DMA team if his goal was to fill MSG.

Reaction Score
Put the Big Ten tournament in two of the four most populated areas in the country — greater New York City is first, greater Washington, D.C., fourth — and the league can’t fill the building. Why? Because ....

Because Jim picked the wrong NYC DMA team if his goal was to fill MSG.
I absolutely agree with you, but overall this is very bad news for any hope of UConn eventually getting to the B1G. No question UConn fans would fill MSG. No question UConn would have been competitive if they had been selected to a P5 back in 2012.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with you, but overall this is very bad news for any hope of UConn eventually getting to the B1G.
Not sure I agree. To me it shows that the Rutgers play, although great financially, does not do enough to stake a NY presence. A UConn add would shore up NYC and also serve as a gateway into New England.

Reaction Score
This isn't rocket science. What made the Big East Tournament so special is that it was held in the same place every year that was relatively convenient for most of the schools involved. This is extremely important if your team is advancing in the tournament. People had the restaurants and bars that they visited every year. It was tradition.

It's pretty simple as to where they should hold each conference's basketball tournament:

Big East: NYC
Big 10: Indianapolis or Chicago
ACC: Greensboro
SEC: Atlanta
Big 12: Kansas City or Dallas
Pac 12: Las Vegas
AAC: Orlando or Memphis

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree. To me it shows that the Rutgers play, although great financially, does not do enough to stake a NY presence. A UConn add would shore up NYC and also serve as a gateway into New England.
I agree that UConn fans would fill the Garden and the press would play it up in the New York City papers and thus it would be in the minds of many. I also agree that very few people east of the Hudson River cares much about Rutgers athletics. Maybe they should have had the Big Ten tourney in the Meadowlands. Of course, if UConn basketball continues on its downward spiral, then attendance after the first game would be down anyways. It would UConn-Rutgers in the first game and then both would be out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What made the Big East Tournament so special is that it was held in the same place every year that was relatively convenient for most of the schools involved.
Um, perhaps phenomenally good basketball played by some the nation's best teams contributed to the experience just a bit?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom