Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas for 2024-25 | The Boneyard

Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas for 2024-25

Reaction Score
From the OU Insider........

Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas

The article says the source has targeted Oklahoma and Texas for addition to the Big Ten in 2024-25. The Big Ten will coordinate with Oklahoma when OU negotiates its third tier rights so that the next third deal rights agreement will be a short term deal that expires in 2024. It mentions the Longhorn Network as not being as big of a hurdle as once thought, as it is a losing proposition for both Disney and exposure for UT sports.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If it happens, this would be a disaster for UConn but consistent with CR Rule 1. No doubt the Big 12 backfills with 2 non-UConn AAC schools. Probably UCF and Cincinnati or Houston. Or maybe they just grab the top 4 AAC football programs in one swoop.

UConn has to really invest in football right now. Waiting and hemming and hawing (and losing) will cement us as mid-major forever.

Reaction Score
If the UConn men's basketball team has a decent season this year and next, and Randy Edsall either gets the FB team in the right direction, like six wins, or leaves in 2019, that may be our best bet. NO MORE EXCUSES. UConn football can't be like Rice right now -- and expect to be even on the radar screen for realignment. I still think the ACC may expand if the B10 does, and think UConn long term would be a great fit there.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If the UConn men's basketball team has a decent season this year and next, and Randy Edsall either gets the FB team in the right direction, like six wins, or leaves in 2019, that may be our best bet. NO MORE EXCUSES. UConn football can't be like Rice right now -- and expect to be even on the radar screen for realignment. I still think the ACC may expand if the B10 does, and think UConn long term would be a great fit there.

Yeah, I think the ACC would pressure Notre Dame for a full-time answer but it's really hard to see ND joining any conference after this year's Playoff Committee decision. If the Big 12 dissolves, WVU makes sense there too. Of course, Cincinnati would be in the discussion.

I would LOVE to see UConn make a significant football statement soon. I know it won't happen...we have a part-time hockey arena to build...but it's nice to dream!

Reaction Score
From the OU Insider...

The article says the source has targeted Oklahoma and Texas for addition to the Big Ten in 2024-25. The Big Ten will coordinate with Oklahoma when OU negotiates its third tier rights so that the next third deal rights agreement will be a short term deal that expires in 2024. It mentions the Longhorn Network as not being as big of a hurdle as once thought, as it is a losing proposition for both Disney and exposure for UT sports.
There is no way Texas goes to the Big 10, they have seen what happened to Penn St, Nebraska. Texas is the Big fish in a small pond, they won't go somewhere where they would be one of many.

Reaction Score
From the OU Insider...

Got a better link? Please tell me this isn’t the Flugar “BTM” musings from the other thread?

Reaction Score
There is no way Texas goes to the Big 10, they have seen what happened to Penn St, Nebraska. Texas is the Big fish in a small pond, they won't go somewhere where they would be one of many.
It depends. If there is a clear P4 breakaway then the Big 12 is the odd man out.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think the ACC would pressure Notre Dame for a full-time answer but it's really hard to see ND joining any conference after this year's Playoff Committee decision. If the Big 12 dissolves, WVU makes sense there too. Of course, Cincinnati would be in the discussion.

I would LOVE to see UConn make a significant football statement soon. I know it won't happen...we have a part-time hockey arena to build...but it's nice to dream!

There are a series of legal agreements which cements ND's current status with the
ACC through 2035.

There is no legal basis for the ACC to pressure ND in any manner until then.

P.S. This seems to be "BTM" picked up by some publication.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It depends. If there is a clear P4 breakaway then the Big 12 is the odd man out.
I don’t see any teams losing P5 status at this point. If it goes to P4 you’ll likely see PAC and Big 12’s desiberable teams absorbed by other leagues and the left overs forming a new league.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if the Big 12 loses OU and Texas, it may be open season on the Big 12. Additions of TCU and Baylor to the AAC would not be out of the question.

That said, I'll believe this OU/Texas story when I see it.

This is important and our only chance to not be left behind. Aresco has to get out in front of this, but not sure he has any leverage.

Reaction Score
I don’t see any teams losing P5 status at this point. If it goes to P4 you’ll likely see PAC and Big 12’s desiberable teams absorbed by other leagues and the left overs forming a new league.

If the PAC and B12 are absorbed, That would result in a P3, unless the scraps can create a new conference from the ashes and get big money, which I doubt.

Reaction Score

I doubt the ACC will ever let us join after BloomingIdiot sued them. I think the ACC would invite URI before us. BloomingIdiot burned our bridge to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Future expansion of the ACC...and any team/s picked up would be highly dependent on the estimated media contract value.

What is valuable to ESPN may not be the same as what is more valuable to Fox, Netflix, et al.

There will be some hierarchy.

...BRAND...does it drive high interest TV matches?

...WHICH SPORT NEEDED...does the ACC need a high level basketball program or does it need more to augment the middle of the football lineup? ESPN will know which will produce more TV value.

...HOW MUCH VALUE ARE NON REVENUE SPORTS...do they have any real impact on media value?

...DO OTHER THAN MONETARY CONSIDERATIONS REALLY COME INTO PLAY....will geographic location/region, academics, preferences of various ACC programs, etc have any bearing on expansion?

Reaction Score

Your argument is valid as regards Nebraska, but not Penn State. Nebraska is a low population state and has suffered primarily because it lost its Big 12 pipeline to Texas recruits. Penn state has suffered only due to Jerry Sandusky's shenanigans and subsequent coverup. Populous Pennsylvania still produces a lot of high school football talent, as do neighboring Ohio, New Jersey, and western New York, and the school has a rabid fan base. Given the right coach, it should again become and remain a national power.

In the past, the B1G has valued geographic contiguity and AAU status. Oklahoma has neither, and it's doubtful that it will have the research chops to achieve AAU status in the next few decades. It'll be interesting to see if the B1G ignores tradition and leaps over Kansas to add Texas and non-AAU Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
In my humble opinion, Oklahoma and Texas have the easiest path to the college football playoff. I'm not sure either school wants to make that path any more difficult than it needs to be. Yes, the big 12 is lagging the other conferencespay without a conference network. The only thing that matters is the two flag ship schools have an easy pass for the college football playoff. If either one went to the SEC or the BIG it would be much more difficult to reach the college football playoff.

Reaction Score
Look at all the blue blood programs in the SEC not named Alabama that will have a difficult time getting to the college football playoff ( Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee). They all have to go through Alabama to get the CFP, while beating each other up during the regular season. I think Texas and Oklahoma are happy to be in the Big 12. They get to control their own destiny.

Reaction Score
Said it elsewhere, if the B1G goes after the XII, the confernece is done. The B1G will take Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas, the later fills the geography gap between Nebraska and Oklahoma and the B1G will not pass on a basketball blue blood AAU university. That gives the B1G 17 schools and ths they will need to add 1 (to get to 18 schools) or 3 (to get to 20 schools) more. That will come from some combination (not in any order) of Missouri, Notre Dame, UConn, UVA, UNC, and Duke.

Of course, if those three leave the XII, its dead. The PAC will open the door for any of the XII's state schools, the SEC could look at Oklahoma St, and the ACC may even venture in.

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
In my humble opinion, Oklahoma and Texas have the easiest path to the college football playoff. I'm not sure either school wants to make that path any more difficult than it needs to be. Yes, the big 12 is lagging the other conferencespay without a conference network. The only thing that matters is the two flag ship schools have an easy pass for the college football playoff. If either one went to the SEC or the BIG it would be much more difficult to reach the college football playoff.

The issue isn’t right now, it’s at the end of the Big12 media contract. Will the monies still be there for the Big12? Remember, they are 10 schools being paid for 12 and will Fox & ESPN be willing to do so again. The footprint and non Oklahoma/Texas, and to a lesser extent, Kansas brands are not good. The money just isn’t there.

The playoffs are important, but the media contracts are more so. If Texas and Oklahoma were to go to the Big10, I would assume the contract would be a pretty big. You would some serious football tradition with the 1st (Michigan), 3rd (Ohio State), 4th (Nebraska), 5th (Texas), 7th (Oklahoma) and 8th (Penn State) in the Big10. That is some serious brand power.

Playoffs are important to these schools, make no doubt. They put eyeballs o;their brand. The university presidents want something even more, money for their AD’s; not having to worry about funding their athletic departments with general funds. They also love exposure to the prospective students, Having Texas - Michigan or Oklahoma - Penn State would be huge. Having the Michigan - Ohio State and The Red River Rivalry within its contract would be great. The restart of Nebraska and Oklahoma would be huge too. These presidents know it. If you think like a university president and not a fan, it makes sense. At least to me it does.

Reaction Score
Said it elsewhere, if the B1G goes after the XII, the confernece is done. The B1G will take Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas, the later fills the geography gap between Nebraska and Oklahoma and the B1G will not pass on a basketball blue blood AAU university. That gives the B1G 17 schools and ths they will need to add 1 (to get to 18 schools) or 3 (to get to 20 schools) more. That will come from some combination (not in any order) of Missouri, Notre Dame, UConn, UVA, UNC, and Duke.

Of course, if those three leave the XII, its dead. The PAC will open the door for any of the XII's state schools, the SEC could look at Oklahoma St, and the ACC may even venture in.
If you consider the ACC GOR, which does not expire until 2036 and forbids ND from joining any conference but the ACC, the only two then according to your plan will be Missouri and UConn for the B1G, UVA, UNC, and Duke are bound by the GOR until 2036 as well. I don't know if Missouri is AAU, and they are getting a great payday from the SEC, but it is contiguous. I don't know if AAU will still be a requirement.

Reaction Score
Well Oklahoma is not an AAU school, so if they take Oklahoma they would show a willingness to overlook it if it's worth it - which adding OK and TX (which is AAU) would be perhaps.
And if they hold their nose and start letting in a non-AAU school, perhaps they would do it with another school that sits in New England and has proximity to NYC, and which in 5 years will be a perennial power in hoops again thanks to Mr. Hurley and a football program that is at least respectable.
Pipe dream, I know.

Reaction Score
If the B1G does indeed go after Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and TBD, it would be fantastic if they selected us to round out the East Coast expansion. The B1G would be able to command quite the pay day with the addition of those schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom