Big Ten on ESPN2 Md vs. IU | The Boneyard

Big Ten on ESPN2 Md vs. IU

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I had inadvertently left ESPN2 on and the intro came on with Brenda in the locker room talking to her team about earning and maintaining that championship effort needed in March and that it is not something to "turn on" in March. Similar echos of Geno but done with less pizzazz and a tad light on motivation. Then they showed Teri M. from IU talking to her team. Her speech was a bit like how I imagine all AAC coaches do when trying to pretend they have a chance...What I really noticed was how pathetic the locker rooms were.circa 1970-80. Cement walls, full metal mesh lockers, just a tad sad even if in the old gym at IU for this women's team. Title IX money only goes so far I guess.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not shocked that the MD was in a so-so locker room. Visitors still don't get much.

Shocked if you are saying IU's locker room was shabby. I'm wondering if it is just for "games" - men and women play in the same facility. However, there is a training facility that looks very new and supposedly has the men's and women's locker rooms, practice court(s), workout facilities, etc available 24 hours to team members.

Most schools invest in locker rooms. Probably 15 years ago we toured the women's locker room at RU (it has been redone twice since, I believe) and it was very nice - to get to it we went through an auxiliary locker room used by field hockey or softball, and it was just dilapidated metal lockers and a bench in the middle. I'm sure that has been improved since, as well.

Here at U of A there is no question the top 10 ranked men's program has a superb locker room funded by alums in the NBA, but they did recently redo both women's basketball and volleyball locker rooms. Doubt they are shabby.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
The IU game was not in Assembly Hall. The gym has bleachers. Maybe they wanted a more intimate feel to help the ladies.

I watched until the second quarter when Gail interviewed Terry Gawkik from the NCAA selection committee. They asked about MD being a number 9 seed and if it was due to the poor schedule. Of course Terry says, "no, many aspects are looked at and SOS is just one component". Of which Gail, who has no feel for non-scripted dialogue virtually said OK and then asked about Tenn. she blew an opportunity to press for any logic how this MD team falls from #3 in both polls to a 9. If you want to say FSU and MSU are better than fine but you can not put SC, ND and Louisville (they lost so they will take a hit) ahead of them. If you play a tougher schedule yet lose, how does that prove you are good? I get there schedule was/is soft but by watching them, they have more team skills than SC or even MSU who also play in a poor conference.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The IU game was not in Assembly Hall. The gym has bleachers. Maybe they wanted a more intimate feel to help the ladies.

I watched until the second quarter when Gail interviewed Terry Gawkik from the NCAA selection committee. They asked about MD being a number 9 seed and if it was due to the poor schedule. Of course Terry says, "no, many aspects are looked at and SOS is just one component". Of which Gail, who has no feel for non-scripted dialogue virtually said OK and then asked about Tenn. she blew an opportunity to press for any logic how this MD team falls from #3 in both polls to a 9. If you want to say FSU and MSU are better than fine but you can not put SC, ND and Louisville (they lost so they will take a hit) ahead of them. If you play a tougher schedule yet lose, how does that prove you are good? I get there schedule was/is soft but by watching them, they have more team skills than SC or even MSU who also play in a poor conference.

Just a minor factual point: The committee never had Louisville ahead of Maryland. The reveal from 2 weeks ago had Louisville at #13.

Also, the SEC is by any measure a much better conference than the Big Ten. The SEC has eight teams in the RPI top 30; the Big Ten has two.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
According to their web-site, the game is in Assembly Hall (it has a new name after being redone). Photos of the arena show bleachers at both ends of the courts, FWIW. The arena has walls at the ends, the majority of the seating is on the sides. The new name is Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Wow. Walker-Kimbrough just hit a 3/4-court shot to beat the buzzer at the end of Q3.

Indiana is just getting buried this game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow. Walker-Kimbrough just hit a 3/4-court shot to beat the buzzer at the end of Q3.

Indiana is just getting buried this game.

MD is really getting in stride. Saw the SKW shot by accident. Pure swish

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I get the RPI but just because your bottom teams are not as bad as other leagues bottom teams doesn't mean 5 schools should be deemed better than you which is what the committee is saying. I also really think there is significant plateau's this year-UConn, Bayalor, then next tier of 5 , big drop and next tier of 5, big drop and next tier of 10-14, smaller drop of next 12. So MD belongs in that second Tier easily.

BTW you have to see the highlight of Shitori's 3rd Qtr ending shot- from the defensive end 3 point line with .1 second left!

Plebe

Reaction Score
I get the RPI but just because your bottom teams are not as bad as other leagues bottom teams doesn't mean 5 schools should be deemed better than you which is what the committee is saying. I also really think there is significant plateau's this year-UConn, Bayalor, then next tier of 5 , big drop and next tier of 5, big drop and next tier of 10-14, smaller drop of next 12. So MD belongs in that second Tier easily.

BTW you have to see the highlight of Shitori's 3rd Qtr ending shot- from the defensive end 3 point line with .1 second left!

But this was about much more than conference strength. Maryland was #171 in nonconference SOS — which is way, way worse than any of the other top teams.

It's also worth remembering that very much the same thing happened last year. Everyone thought Maryland was the #5 team, and then the committee had them at around #9 in the first reveal, once again due to weak SOS. They ended up with a 2-seed in the tourney, and everyone was saying they were Final Four material — that is, until they flamed out to Washington on their home floor in the round of 32.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Actually it was in Assembly Hall..... from viewing on TV... its one of the coolest looking arenas in all of College Basketball.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Actually it was in Assembly Hall..... from viewing on TV... its one of the coolest looking arenas in all of College Basketball.
Bleachers? Crappy locker rooms? For a storied program, time to move on.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Bleachers? Crappy locker rooms? For a storied program, time to move on.

hc-gampel-roof-repair-0331-20160330.jpg

:rolleyes:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sort of a low blow, that. Although I knew about the roof - we were actually there following Rutgers for one of the first leaks in what I think was an oBE Tourney game. Some time in Shea Ralph's playing days, possibly the year she got injured.

Cameron was unique and fun to visit - we were there for an RU game from the rafters, but previously had watched 2 games of a charitable tourney from behind the benches. 2 memories - watching Joe Ciampi coach in what was perhaps his last year with Auburn (Creighton was one of the other teams, IIRC) and the Duke players practicing flopping and kidding around about it with one of the well known refs (Kantner?, Bell?), it was a long time ago. Good condition - but not modern.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wasn't Gampel's roof/ceiling restored over the summer?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sort of a low blow, that. Although I knew about the roof - we were actually there following Rutgers for one of the first leaks in what I think was an oBE Tourney game. Some time in Shea Ralph's playing days, possibly the year she got injured.

Those in glass houses shouldnt throw stones :cool:

Cameron was unique and fun to visit - we were there for an RU game from the rafters, but previously had watched 2 games of a charitable tourney from behind the benches. 2 memories - watching Joe Ciampi coach in what was perhaps his last year with Auburn (Creighton was one of the other teams, IIRC) and the Duke players practicing flopping and kidding around about it with one of the well known refs (Kantner?, Bell?), it was a long time ago. Good condition - but not modern.

Its a good place to watch a game. Far from the most comfortable of course. The most packed games are the worst. Been to a few Duke-UNC senior night games....... and its like packed sardines in there.... im praying for no-overtime in those contests. I look forward to Duke games at Wake Forest. Modern arena.. Nice wide cushioned seats..... plenty of legroom.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom