Big night for UConn commit - Jamar Summers | The Boneyard

Big night for UConn commit - Jamar Summers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller @ New Haven Register:

Friday, October 05, 2012

Big night for UConn commit

I just got back from my first New Jersey high school football game and it looks like I picked a good one to go to as (by my unofficial statistics) UConn commit Jamar Summers had seven catches for 177 yards and three touchdowns to go with three tackles and one pass breakup in Orange's 35-19 win over Millburn.

Traffic was not fun getting from Connecticut to New Jersey and then from my hotel to Bell Stadium in Orange, N.J. so I missed the first few minutes of tonight's game. However, the first offensive play I saw Orange run was a swing pass which Summers turned into a 78-yard touchdown.

I spoke to Summers after the game and at halftime I interviewed his brother Alvin Bowen, a former NFL player who leaves Sunday to join the Calgary of the CFL. I will have more on Summers tomorrow and will put up some video from the game as well.

posted by Jim Fuller at 11:02 PM

?? Imagine he will be @ SUNJ/UConn Game tomorrow ??

Reaction Score
Jim, thanks for the info, I would be real interested in if he mentioned if he was recruited (coming in) as a WR or as a CB, or yet to be determined??

Reaction Score
Jim, thanks for the info, I would be real interested in if he mentioned if he was recruited (coming in) as a WR or as a CB, or yet to be determined??

Ya gotta ask Jim... I just re-posted it.

Reaction Score
Geez I don't know - maybe because he lives in Jersey 1/2 hour away from stadium?

I guarantee you that the the UConn staff doesn't want an unsigned recruit at a Rutgers game. That's just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I guarantee you that the the UConn staff doesn't want an unsigned recruit at a Rutgers game. That's just ridiculous.

Keep trying... I never in my statement above said that UConn provided the tickets.

If I'm thinking about going to a school to play football and they are playing 30-45 minutes from my house (and my high school team played last night) - you can bet your me and a few friends are going to watch the team play. I'm sure UConn told him to stay away (even through they probably should have with the way they played).

Do you argue about everything in real life too?

Reaction Score
Keep trying... I never in my statement above said that UConn provided the tickets.

If I'm thinking about going to a school to play football and they are playing 30-45 minutes from my house (and my high school team played last night) - you can bet your me and a few friends are going to watch the team play. I'm sure UConn told him to stay away (even through they probably should have with the way they played).

Do you argue about everything in real life too?

I just don't think you understand how recruiting works. Rutgers had 300 recruits there for the game and almost all of them were from Jersey. They were trying to recruit almost everyone in attendance. Visits are huge deals in CFB recruiting.

Reaction Score
I just don't think you understand how recruiting works. Rutgers had 300 recruits there for the game and almost all of them were from Jersey. They were trying to recruit almost everyone in attendance. Visits are huge deals in CFB recruiting.

No... I'm clueless?? Teach me Obi-Wan Kenobi.

So you're saying that Rutgers provided Sumners the tickets to the game? - That still makes my original comment of "Imagine he will be @ SUNJ/UConn Game tomorrow" (which you took exception to) true - so what point are you arguing now?

Either your drinking today or reading comprehension is concerning.

Reaction Score
No... I'm clueless?? Teach me Obi-Wan Kenobi.

So you're saying that Rutgers provided Sumners the tickets to the game? - That still makes my original comment of "Imagine he will be @ SUNJ/UConn Game tomorrow" (which you took exception to) true - so what point are you arguing now?

Either your drinking today or reading comprehension is concerning.

I'm not going to continue arguing this with you. You asked a question and I made my point about how ridiculous that question is. It's not difficult to understand. A UConn recruit is not going to attend a Rutgers football game unless he's considering Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to continue arguing this with you. You asked a question and I made my point about how ridiculous that question is. It's not difficult to understand. A UConn recruit is not going to attend a Rutgers football game unless he's considering Rutgers.

Why - Because someone might see him and tell UConn he went to the game? Get a grip.

You wanna be right - "you're right"!

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure any CT player who committed elsewhere never went to a UConn game. Really...it's true. I swear....

Reaction Score
UCONN FOOTBALL: Familiar face helped Huskies land recruit Jamar Summers (videos)
Jim Fuller, Register Staff jfuller@nhregister.com / Twitter: @NHRJimFuller, writer
Updated 6:05 p.m., Saturday, October 6, 2012

ORANGE, N.J. — As the recruiting process of his younger brother began to unfold, Alvin Bowen could not conceal the delight of seeing a familiar face involved in the process.

When Bowen was a New Jersey high school star, current UConn offensive coordinator George DeLeone was at the forefront of bringing the standout linebacker to Syracuse. DeLeone took it a step further by encouraging Bowen to go the junior college route even if he never actually coached Bowen.

Now that his brother Jamar Summers is headed to UConn in the fall, Bowen, who was in camp with five NFL teams and played two games with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2009, knows he will be in good hands.

“I am a product of Coach DeLeone,” Bowen said during halftime of his brother’s high school game on Friday night. “I was in Montclair and Coach DeLeone basically gave me the (info) about the junior college in Kansas, which led to me going to Garden City Community College and led to my career. The first thing I did when I graduated from Iowa State University was I called him to thank him. He did so much for me, and I felt indebted to him. Now, with my brother coming around, he is in a position where he can help mentor my brother like he helped me, I jumped at the chance.”

Summers, who committed to UConn in late July, certainly looked the part of a Division I recruit leading Orange (N.J.) High to a 35-19 win over Millburn (N.J.) on Friday night.

The first time Summers touched the ball, he took a swing pass and went 78 yards for a score. He ended up with seven catches for 177 yards and three touchdowns, had three tackles, just missed an interception and broke up two passes. He also kicked off and was the punt returner as Orange improved to 2-3.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/UCONN-FOOTBALL-Familiar-face-helped-Huskies-land-3925364.php#ixzz28m6a32Ny

Reaction Score

I don't want to interrupt your pissing match, but doesn't it seem odd to say that visits are so important that they brought in 300 recruits for just one game?

If the visits are so important, wouldn't they trim that number down by 250+ so the coaches might actually be able to recruit?

Reaction Score
No. RU does a lot of silly things, but not in terms of recruiting. They want every kid in NJ to want to play there, to feel comfortable there. They want to find themselves in a position where they turn kids down.

Reaction Score
How stupid do you have to be to think RU really wants you, and the 299 other kids with you on your vist?

If that's not silly, then I've got no respect for the average IQ of a NJ high school athlete.

pj

Reaction Score
If they're underclassmen, it's a good move giving them the chance to watch games and develop fan loyalty.

For seniors this might be a good way to recruit walk-ons.

Reaction Score
Does this mean we're supposed to emulate the way Rutgers recruits their walk-ons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom