Big Moments and The Myth of Fearlessness | The Boneyard

Big Moments and The Myth of Fearlessness

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was reading the Sports' Illustrated article in Nan's Links and something Vic Schaefer said about Teaira McCowan caught my eye:

"T is not scared," Bulldogs coach Vic Schaefer says. "Nobody is going to intimidate her. I don't think any moment is too big for her. That is just how that kid is built."

To which I'm inclined to say: You are deluding yourself Vic. I think a Grey's Anatomy star said it best:

Geno is scared. He freely admits it; he shapes and uses it. Great athletes admit their fears too. You stare it in the face and you stare it down. Who use to puke into a towel before he took the court - Wilt I think. If you push it away it will tap you on the shoulder and say Ahem at the most inconvenient of times.

To quote one of my least favorite people: “Being FEARLESS isn't being 100% Not FEARFUL, it's being terrified but you jump anyway...” Taylor Swift

Remember Geno hunkered down talking to distraught, crying freshman Diana Taurasi? She wasn't scared, but til then she wasn't paying attention. I'll bet you at that moment she wanted to schrivel up and die, but the Magician of Storrs was working, and she didn't die and what didn't kill her made her stronger.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just normal coach speak. There is only one Geno who will dig into the true core of a player.

However, there really is no reason for McGowan to be "scared" or intimidated. MSU has a lot of other good players around her and she has already been in a FF environment. I expect MSU to be in the FF and would consider it a pretty big surprise if they get knocked out earlier. Also, losing the SEC tournament to SC and their unbeaten streak will really motivate them and at the same time, remove any overconfidence they may have. Something that may have affected us at some level last year and possibly affected them in the Championship game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
After watching the Miss St vs So Carolina SEC Tournament Championship Game, McCowan did not handle adversity well. Yes, she got into foul trouble in the 1st half, but what did she do in the 2nd half when she played the full 20 minutes? She had 6 points and 6 rebounds in 24 minutes of play. No offensive Rebounds which was her strength during the regular season. She didn't look like the same player that dominated most SEC teams during the Regular Season. I was stunned she wasn't an impact in the 2nd half, especially when Miss St got the game close. She was a No-Show for most of the game. Do I expect that to happen again, probably not, but if she gets into foul trouble who knows.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
After watching the Miss St vs So Carolina SEC Tournament Championship Game, McCowan did not handle adversity well. Yes, she got into foul trouble in the 1st half, but what did she do in the 2nd half when she played the full 20 minutes? She had 6 points and 6 rebounds in 24 minutes of play. No offensive Rebounds which was her strength during the regular season. She didn't look like the same player that dominated most SEC teams during the Regular Season. I was stunned she wasn't an impact in the 2nd half, especially when Miss St got the game close. She was a No-Show for most of the game. Do I expect that to happen again, probably not, but if she gets into foul trouble who knows.

Totally agree on that game and when you look at the SEC the # of talented bigs is surprisingly small. My post was using Vic's comment for a general sports psychology issue and I do give McCowan credit as someone who started as a total project ney inept and is now a serviceable inside big but from the waste down she's still very limited. There, I just cemented a post-season award for her I'm sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom