OT: Big Green Egg | The Boneyard

OT: Big Green Egg

Reaction Score
Hate to revisit a subject that's been litigated a bunch, but due to an age-induced near explosion of our prior grill this past weekend I'm in the market. I know several people who swear by these things - the main selling point seems to be the versatility. What are peoples' experiences with them? We're not on the competition BBQ circuit, I just need something for grilling and smoking at home.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hate to revisit a subject that's been litigated a bunch, but due to an age-induced near explosion of our prior grill this past weekend I'm in the market. I know several people who swear by these things - the main selling point seems to be the versatility. What are peoples' experiences with them? We're not on the competition BBQ circuit, I just need something for grilling and smoking at home.

@August_West is the resident proponent I believe.

My knowledge is really limited to research I did without taking the plunge. Essentially, there are better value Kamados than the Big Green Egg. Also, they are great in winter, which doesn't help you at all.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

You'll love it.

The only grill in the world that is equally at home doing low and slow or searing steaks at 900 degrees. Can make great Pizzas on them too! Worth every penny.

My favorite grill.

Happy to go into more detail.

At one point I had two!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
@August_West is the resident proponent I believe.

My knowledge is really limited to research I did without taking the plunge. Essentially, there are better value Kamados than the Big Green Egg. Also, they are great in winter, which doesn't help you at all.

Kamado joes are right there too. But they arent much cheaper!

Reaction Score

This is timely—and funny. I too had a near explosion late last week. As the fire raged and flames ran down the gas line to the tank I calmly walked into the house and said, “Honey, I need a large plate and a fire extinguisher.” My not nearly as calm wife freaked out but followed orders. I saved the steaks before blasting the grill with the fire extinguisher. Bought a new Weber Genesis two days later. The last one was good for 8 years or so.

Reaction Score
This is timely—and funny. I too had a near explosion late last week. As the fire raged and flames ran down the gas line to the tank I calmly walked into the house and said, “Honey, I need a large plate and a fire extinguisher.” My not nearly as calm wife freaked out but followed orders. I saved the steaks before blasting the grill with the fire extinguisher. Bought a new Weber Genesis two days later. The last one was good for 8 years or so.

Saving the steaks deserves a slow-clap. Bravo!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks. I have to say, I’ve heard my wife and my daughter retell the story multiple times and it makes me sound pretty cool.
No doubt.

This would be me on the other hand:

tenor.gif

Reaction Score
I have had a Large BGE for about 7 years and just love it. Like anything new, it takes a bit of learning on how to start it and get it to hold the desired cooking temp; but once you do the results are fabulous. I have cooked turkeys, legs of lamb, ribs shrimp, steaks, chicken, short ribs and brisket. I have not done the pizza thing yet....

I suggest not getting any size less than a Large and check Craigslist. I got mine there for $500. Note that you will also need to get a "place-setter" that allows for indirect heat cooking. There are also lots of "Eggsessories" available to purchase that expand cooking possibilities!

The BGE is a subculture with lots of recipes and videos online.... The BGE is just fun way to cook!

Reaction Score
Good thing the larger plate was readily available.

Reaction Score
I have the Vision version (sold online at Home Depot) and to be blunt its one of the best purchases I’ve made for my home. I’ve had other smokers and this is a lot easier to use and holds heat, much, much, much better. On the flip side you can get it super hot if you want to sear things and cook at high temprature.

Also there is a Kamado Joe “Joetisserie” that fits on the Kamado Joe’s and Visions. I’ve made some unbelivable prime ribs, picanhas and chickens on that thing.

Buy a kamado...

Reaction Score
I have a Primo bought at bbqguys.com Completely agree on either a large or extra large
The ceramic grill is great but I live in Florida so going outside to get the charcoal going is not that big of deal.
Can't say what it is like in the middle of a New England Winter.
That being said the food is awesome whether you slow cook a brisket or sear some steaks at 800 degrees.

Reaction Score
I got a vision ceramic kamado grill a few years ago. I believe I paid around $600. Extremely happy with it, can't see how the big green egg would be better for almost double the $$.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom