Big Effort, but an OT Loss for the Sun | The Boneyard

Big Effort, but an OT Loss for the Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Just back... A missed free throw was the difference in regulation. What could have been a monster win comes up short in OT. Honestly it has been years since the Sun played as well as they did in the first half against such a talent-stacked team. The Sun are now playing competitively with every team in the W, they just need to finish. This was another very winnable game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It was 93-90 with about 15 seconds left to play in OT when Morgan Tuck front-rimmed a 3-point shot that would have tied the game. It was one of several 3-point misses for her in the last couple of games. Where is the 3-point shot that she had against Oregon State in the Final Four?

The fact that Morgan was in the game at that late stage of the game shows that she was playing well generally. She even beat Candace Parker on a drive to the basket and got fouled. Candace had only 6 points and appeared to be hobbled -- I heard something about a sprained ankle.

Kelly did not play in this game at all -- one of two Sun players who sat out the whole game (the other was Anneika Henry). It appears that Courtney Williams has supplanted her as the first guard off the bench, and it is easy to see why -- she has quite an accomplished offensive game.

I agree that the Sun are playing very well now. Alyssa Thomas in particular is better than she ever was in her previous seasons. If this year's five rookies make similar strides in their second and third years, the Sun will have a playoff-level team starting next year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I was at the game
At some point in the 3rd quarter, CT's spacing went to hell,the offense stagnated
Folks stopped looking for their shots and LA sauntered back into the game (they had been down 16).

Jantel Lavender was ignored by the Sun defense for most of the game and she obliged by scoring 25 (11 for 16).
The Sun seemingly drew up a play for Morgan getting a high priority to take the last 3-point shot to tie the game.
Too bad she missed.
Kristi Toliver was outstanding, Candace took the game off (after last night's emotional eve) and slurp-walked through the contest.
Nekka was Nekka
Courtney looks like she's going to be more than useful.
Kelly sat...but was the first to greet her mates during tineouts and quarters...a great teamate.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
CHINEY: "...we had a really difficult locker room. It was one where we were very combative and it’s not on one person but I do think our mentality has changed over the last few games and we really have embraced each other and our strengths and helped each other through our weaknesses and just go out there and have fun."

Interesting timing on the change of attitude. Rare for Chiney to stray from the usual "its a process", "young team" script.
Chiney Ogwumike On How The Sun Changed Their Identity With Positive Early Returns - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
CHINEY: "...we had a really difficult locker room. It was one where we were very combative and it’s not on one person but I do think our mentality has changed over the last few games and we really have embraced each other and our strengths and helped each other through our weaknesses and just go out there and have fun."

Interesting timing on the change of attitude. Rare for Chiney to stray from the usual "its a process", "young team" script.
Chiney Ogwumike On How The Sun Changed Their Identity With Positive Early Returns - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA
wow... we know who she was talking about #combative #difficultlockerroom

Reaction Score
I was at the game
At some point in the 3rd quarter, CT's spacing went to hell,the offense stagnated
Folks stopped looking for their shots and LA sauntered back into the game (they had been down 16).

Jantel Lavender was ignored by the Sun defense for most of the game and she obliged by scoring 25 (11 for 16).
The Sun seemingly drew up a play for Morgan getting a high priority to take the last 3-point shot to tie the game.
Too bad she missed.
Kristi Toliver was outstanding, Candace took the game off (after last night's emotional eve) and slurp-walked through the contest.
Nekka was Nekka
Courtney looks like she's going to be more than useful.
Kelly sat...but was the first to greet her mates during tineouts and quarters...a great teamate.

Candace did not "slurp walk" through the game. She played the role of facilitator.... A few people who had talked to her at Pat's event noted she was unsure her status for the game due to an bum ankle that was made worse by playing in Chicago for a game she should've sat out. People who were there also noticed her limping. It will be interesting to see if she plays in Atlanta Sunday. She had 7 assists for the game as she continues to lead the team in that category along with being 3rd in the league.

Morgan is an outstanding player. I've been in love with her game since I watched her in high school when I was checking out Massengale. Smart and gifted... the whole package. Tuck, Stewie and Moriah are an absolute joy to watch in the WNBA.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Candace did not "slurp walk" through the game. She played the role of facilitator.... A few people who had talked to her at Pat's event noted she was unsure her status for the game due to an bum ankle that was made worse by playing in Chicago for a game she should've sat out. People who were there also noticed her limping. It will be interesting to see if she plays in Atlanta Sunday. She had 7 assists for the game as she continues to lead the team in that category along with being 3rd in the league.

Morgan is an outstanding player. I've been in love with her game since I watched her in high school when I was checking out Massengale. Smart and gifted... the whole package. Tuck, Stewie and Moriah are an absolute joy to watch in the WNBA.

Sorry, computer-caused typo....meant sleep-walk, which I'm sure you don't care for either.
Candace's primary responsibility in the Spark's offense is to score....and Friday evening she wasn't particularly looking for her shot.
It was a good thing for the Sparks that Lavender was able to take full advantage her opportunities with Parker (in a sense) acting as a decoy.
I didn't notice the injury referred to. not denying, just didn't notice.

I've been one of the most outraged from among this group as to Candace's commission from the Olympic Team. So I have no apologies to make if I call, what I saw. If she would have been looking for her shot from the outset, it might have taken the stuffing out of the feisty Ct effort early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom