Big East: | The Boneyard

Big East:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Big East is my favorite sports entity ever. For me it will always mean something. It meant Patrick Ewing, Iverson, Mullin, DC, Sherm, Kittles, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutumbo, Dehere, Charles Smith, Billie Owens, Ronnie Seikaly, Mark Jackson, Malik Sealy, all our wonderful CT players and the ones like Toraino Walker, Kirk King, Lyman Depriest who I cherish as memories more than some of the famous Huskies.

The coaches: Louie C, Rollie M, John T, Pitino, Calhoun and even Boeheim who I have grown to hate to his demonstrated disloyalty to our history.

When my boys ask me about who is important in college sports this is the story they get. To trade this for football money, or anything else seems like such a bad deal. When Syracuse did it and their fans loved it and said we are leaving you behind I said go.

I am not stupid. I know time marches on and we will be irrelevant if we can not secure a solid position in this wave of realignment. That said, I find no prouder home than the Big East. If we are the last kid picked for this kickball game we are supposed to play and we get extra minutes in this beloved conference I am grateful. The ACC, Big 10, SEC, Pac whatever will never have our history and singular love and respect for the game of basketball.

Reaction Score
The Big East is my favorite sports entity ever. For me it will always mean something. It meant Patrick Ewing, Iverson, Mullin, DC, Sherm, Kittles, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutumbo, Dehere, Charles Smith, Billie Owens, Ronnie Seikaly, Mark Jackson, Malik Sealy, all our wonderful CT players and the ones like Toraino Walker, Kirk King, Lyman Depriest who I cherish as memories more than some of the famous Huskies.

The coaches: Louie C, Rollie M, John T, Pitino, Calhoun and even Boeheim who I have grown to hate to his demonstrated disloyalty to our history.

When my boys ask me about who is important in college sports this is the story they get. To trade this for football money, or anything else seems like such a bad deal. When Syracuse did it and their fans loved it and said we are leaving you behind I said go.

I am not stupid. I know time marches on and we will be irrelevant if we can not secure a solid position in this wave of realignment. That said, I find no prouder home than the Big East. If we are the last kid picked for this kickball game we are supposed to play and we get extra minutes in this beloved conference I am grateful. The ACC, Big 10, SEC, Pac whatever will never have our history and singular love and respect for the game of basketball.
And there, in 4 paragraphs, is the reason UConn is still stuck in the Big East while most of our peers have moved on to bigger, better and more stable conferences.

Reaction Score
And there, in 4 paragraphs, is the reason UConn is still stuck in the Big East while most of our peers have moved on to bigger, better and more stable conferences.
What? You are really strange sometimes. Being nostalgic has nothing to do with why UConn is stuck in the situation they are in. I think you like to be devil's advocate to whatever someone posts. If someone posted the sky is blue you would argue it's not!

The Big East for basketball was great. No question about that. It was a big part in helping UConn be the program it has been for the last 20+ years. But as HuskyDad did admit it is time to move on. Things change. But you can't take the memories of Big East basketball for the last 30+ years away.

Reaction Score
It is a perception thing and UConn is perceived as a basketball school but not only outsiders, but by its own fans. In fact, look at some of the other things people post here...We should drop football, we should go independent in football, go FCS, stay with the basketball schools...You don't hear that nonsense from Syracuse fans, from Pitt fans, from even Louisville fans. But UConn fans? We' rather play Providence in Madison Square Garden than Texas in the Orange Bowl.

Reaction Score
What would be cool is when all is said and done, one of the tournaments in the early part of the season would be the Gavitt Invitational where 8 former big east teams (at least 4 charter members) play at MSG and re-live that BET mystique.

Reaction Score
We' rather play Providence in Madison Square Garden than Texas in the Orange Bowl.

No, we'd rather play Providence in Madison Square Garden than Tulane in the Conference USA tournament.

What exactly is our path now to be able to play Texas in the Orange Bowl?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It is a perception thing and UConn is perceived as a basketball school but not only outsiders, but by its own fans. In fact, look at some of the other things people post here...We should drop football, we should go independent in football, go FCS, stay with the basketball schools...You don't hear that nonsense from Syracuse fans, from Pitt fans, from even Louisville fans. But UConn fans? We' rather play Providence in Madison Square Garden than Texas in the Orange Bowl.
Of course basketball fans would rather play Providence in MSG than Texas in the Orange Bowl. This is a basketball board. There's a football board, too. Why is this confusing?

Reaction Score
Get into the ACC and win it...that's the path...but by not caring about that we're left with the prospect of playing Tulane in the defacto CUSA tournament. But it will be in Madison Square Garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom