Big East withdrawal notice could complicate replacing MU | The Boneyard

Big East withdrawal notice could complicate replacing MU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That could slow down the process, or make the Big 12 look elsewhere (state of Texas, perhaps?).

Reaction Score
This is what I'm not getting: why would someone want to move to the Big 12 given that they won't be able to play for 27 mos. (so, effectively, fall 2014?) AND given that Big 12 is not that stable itself (and could realistically be gutted by a near-future, PAC 10 grab)? Seems a big gamble.

Reaction Score
This is what I'm not getting: why would someone want to move to the Big 12 given that they won't be able to play for 27 mos. (so, effectively, fall 2014?) AND given that Big 12 is not that stable itself (and could realistically be gutted by a near-future, PAC 10 grab)? Seems a big gamble.

If the Big East 6 moved as blok (schism) to the Big12:
a. they'd only have to pay $ 5 million as the magical team to kick in the $ 10 million option hasn't yet been added.
b. The hoops schools would have trouble forcing a 27 month separation agreement if 50% on the conference decided to bolt.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the Big East 6 moved as blok (schism) to the Big12:
a. they'd only have to pay $ 5 million as the magical team to kick in the $ 10 million option hasn't yet been added.
b. The hoops schools would have trouble forcing a 27 month separation agreement if 50% on the conference decided to bolt.
The remaing football schools can walk away tomorrow of they wanted to and owe $0.00
in departure fees.

Reaction Score

Big 12 is still a more stable situation than what's left of the Big East. They're not a hybrid like us and have Oklahoma & Texas as their centerpieces. Add TCU and it's a solid football conference that would be plenty desirable for WVU or L'Ville to jump to if invited, more so than the leaky boat that Marinatto is trying to plug up right now.

If they get the invite I'm sure they'd have no problem waiting 27 months. Neither would we if we were them.

Reaction Score
Big 12 is still a more stable situation than what's left of the Big East. They're not a hybrid like us and have Oklahoma & Texas as their centerpieces. Add TCU and it's a solid football conference that would be plenty desirable for WVU or L'Ville to jump to if invited, more so than the leaky boat that Marinatto is trying to plug up right now.

If they get the invite I'm sure they'd have no problem waiting 27 months. Neither would we if we were them.

Texas/Oklahoma is arguably the best 1-2 of any league. The league doesn't have the depth of the others, but at the top, they have 2 of the top 8 programs in NCAA history (post-poll). No other conference can boast that. Once you look for a third program, it falls apart, but still.

If you look at number of titles, per program, SEC ties B12 with 11 between top 2 schools.

B12: Oklahoma-Texas (11)
SEC: Alabama-LSU?/Florida? (11--either way)
B10: Nebraska-OSU (10)
Pac: USC-UCLA? (8--7 for USC)
ACC: Miami-FSU (7)
BE: Syracuse-Pitt (3)

Reaction Score

Many people think the Big 12 is just putting a band aid on a big cut and 5 years from now could be the break up date. (could being the key word)

What happens to the BE schools that jump to the Big 12 if the end comes for the Big 12?

The BE, as we know it, will be gone more than likely and the ACC, SEC & the B1G could all be full.

To answer my own question it probably doesn't matter cause no one else appears to want them now so.......they have nothing to lose.

Reaction Score

I believe what the article is saying is that the uncertainty(27 month wait or less) will screw up scheduling over the next couple of years. There may no longer be instability in the Big 12 after MU leaves, but everything depends on the OK and Texas schools. If they start wavering again, anything can happen over the next 5 years. Uncertainty seems to be the most certain thing in the next 5 years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The remaing football schools can walk away tomorrow of they wanted to and owe $0.00
in departure fees.
how so?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
how so?
When this configuration was first put together there was an agreement that after five years (to satisfy NCAA requirements on conference continuity) that either fact could walk away intact as their own conference. This took effect 7/01/10. The unrest of conference expansion last summe (along with the promise of a huge TV payday) put his on the back burner at that time and I imagine the possibiliuty of only have three or four members once all is said and done has the football contingent apprensive about making the move but if the opportunity to move on as an entire group arose, splitting first would eliminate the departure fee, allow the schools to maintain their unpaid NCAA tournament credits and set whatever date they wanted to begin play in a new conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd forgotten about that. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever actually seen the agreement/bylaws/constitution?

Reaction Score

The fact that the Big East is a hybrid is not what makes the Big East so unstable, but the fact that the basketball only (the parasites) side of the hybrid running the league since it's inception is what makes it so unstable.

Reaction Score
The fact that the Big East is a hybrid is not what makes the Big East so unstable, but the fact that the basketball only (the parasites) side of the hybrid running the league since it's inception is what makes it so unstable.

No, what makes the conference so unstable is that the level of football play is decidedly lower than the level of basketball play. That fact hasn't changed in 30 years, and it is what is now haunting us.

Reaction Score
No, what makes the conference so unstable is that the level of football play is decidedly lower than the level of basketball play. That fact hasn't changed in 30 years, and it is what is now haunting us.

If that were true, teams wouldn't be moving to the ACC which has had a lower level of football than the BE for over a decade. Not only has the BE been more successful in BCS bowl games, but they've been ranked higher and had a better record against the ACC.

Reaction Score
Well I guess you could make an argument that the level of football is decidely lower vs basketball when 6 of the schools, all charter members don't even play football, and it's those teams that run the conference, and it's those teams that denied Penn State into the Big East in 1985 because they sucked in basketball and devoted way too much of their athletic budget to football, and then invited the most famous football school in the nation, Notre Dame, in all sports EXCEPT football. How insightful of you, and amazing that you came up with this all by yourself.

Reaction Score
Arthur,

I got bad news for you. the Big East basketball league is over. Teams are looking to leave right and left. Even Villanova and Georgetwon are sniffing around for an alternative. Sorry.

Oh, and by the way, th eBE football league has only existed for 20 years. And during that time, the Big East sent 3 teams to the National Championship game. Won once. And since the original ACC raid, the league has consistently had at least 2 ranked teams every year but last year. It has had at least 1 top 10 team every year but 2008 and last year. Of course you wouldn't know that because it doesn't fit you desire to maintain the Big East as a basketball only conference.

Reaction Score
Arthur,

I got bad news for you. the Big East basketball league is over. Teams are looking to leave right and left. Even Villanova and Georgetwon are sniffing around for an alternative. Sorry.

Oh, and by the way, th eBE football league has only existed for 20 years. And during that time, the Big East sent 3 teams to the National Championship game. Won once. And since the original ACC raid, the league has consistently had at least 2 ranked teams every year but last year. It has had at least 1 top 10 team every year but 2008 and last year. Of course you wouldn't know that because it doesn't fit you desire to maintain the Big East as a basketball only conference.
I can see Nova wanting to leave because they want to upgrade football, but where did you hear about GTown wanting to exit the Big Deceased?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Arthur,

They will form their own league and CT willl join them for all sports after WVU and LU are confirmed to the B12.

Football must move on alone into the brave new world and prove its worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon