Big East Winter Meetings | The Boneyard

Big East Winter Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Interesting article about ND just posted a little while ago. In it is says that the Big-12 could be taking two big name Big East schools. My guess is he's referring to Louisville and Cincy but who knows. They're the only programs that the Big-12 would consider who'd impact ND since they don't care about BE football.

Nothin earth shattering here but couldn't really find anywhere else to post this.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Interesting article about ND just posted a little while ago. In it is says that the Big-12 could be taking two big name Big East schools. My guess is he's referring to Louisville and Cincy but who knows. They're the only programs that the Big-12 would consider who'd impact ND since they don't care about BE football.

Nothin earth shattering here but couldn't really find anywhere else to post this.

It said "big names....either to the Big12 or the ACC." So it could be anyone. I will say this; there was a lot of positive chat from Mike Brey in that article in terms of ND's feelings towards the Big East (if they are indeed sincere). It's at least something good to work with...

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Agreed that it sounds like they really want to stay in the Big East but I think they are one team leaving away from bailing. Brey said, and he's correct, that Notre Dame pretty much has their pick of conference should they decide to go that route. However, I think that would require the football team to sign on as well. I don't think any major conference is looking to pull a Big East and have a team that doesn't compete in all sports in it. With that being said, I dunno how valuable Notre Dame is to conferences without their football program.

Reaction Score
"There is the very real possibility if the Big 12 decides to expand to 12 schools, the Big East could lose two more members -- "big names," Brey said -- either to the Big 12 or to the ACC."

I think he's talking about Louisville, UConn, and Rutgers.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
"There is the very real possibility if the Big 12 decides to expand to 12 schools, the Big East could lose two more members -- "big names," Brey said -- either to the Big 12 or to the ACC."

One can hope. No wait, sorry, we should all be holding out for the B1G. I forgot! Must....resist....A....C....C....

haha!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'd take a b12 invite in a hot minute. they have a bowl vs the b10 in nyc coming soon. wvu is close by. fsu/clem and nd would then be part of that with pitt or lville most likely. texas and florida recruit grounds. druel. if nd wanted us to be part of it thats crazy great. but lets be real....

Reaction Score

That's 3 and brey said 2.......I am certain its Ville and Rutgers, we are so doomed!!!!

Reaction Score
CBS sports, is an entity that stands to lose the most in this sports media battle. CBS has had close ties, personal ties to the Big East since 1981.

It's my belief, that the Big East has been systematically cleaning out moles for a while now in preparation for the business that needs to get done both aroudn the regular season inventory of big east sports, adn the post season events in our sports, as well as the college football post season as a whole.

It's the frist thing you do when you get a breakdown in an organization like the big east had last summer/fall. I've said this before, I'll be saying it alot in coming months. You take a bunch of sh(T information and flush it down the toilets and see what comes out the other side.

CBS has been the entity that's had the most garbage to report, all along and it continues.

I just did a google search for "big east conference" and got the following two articles.

One with direct quotes, from the conference commissioner about Boise STate, and his interactions with the boise president and one from cbs that is trying like hell to spin the Boise AD's comments today out of context to insinuate that Mr. Coyle lied about something.

Mr. Coyle lied about nothing. The MWC is trying to get Boise back, and Boise is committed to the Big East.

But apparently, that's not what CBS' mole said, and even though CBS has the MWC commissioner quoted now on the subject, it says essentially nothing about Boise wanting back into the MWC. I said a week ago, that If I'm anywhere close to right about how this business is going down, the media is going to be pissed off about getting thier information flow cut, and it's happening.

Sort through the info out there - but when it comes to the big east conference specifically, and it's internal workings, don't trust anything out there unless it's directly from the commissioner or a university president.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...0120521_1_boise-state-wac-big-east-conference

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...rms-boise-state-reconsidered-joining-big-east

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
So comments directly from the head basketball coach at the school in question, who probably has a decent amount of interaction with the AD of the school, should be considered nothing more than a desperate networking spinning things? Hmmm....if I've learned anything in all this, it's that people are always looking for the source. Last I checked, Mike Brey was the source of these comments.....not some random local beat writer.....

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I think he's talking about Louisville, UConn, and Notre Dame.

FYP, under no circumstances is Rutgers a big name.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So comments directly from the head basketball coach at the school in question, who probably has a decent amount of interaction with the AD of the school, should be considered nothing more than a desperate networking spinning things? Hmmm....if I've learned anything in all this, it's that people are always looking for the source. Last I checked, Mike Brey was the source of these comments.....not some random local beat writer.....

I agree that Mike Brey is a pretty decent source of info (as opposed to "a friend of a friend"), but I don't think that he said anything that most of us didn't already know. Two big names could leave the conference? No kidding! Jostar named three in two minutes, and I'm guessing he didn't need a meeting with Swarbrick! This is all old news, and he essentially said ND will always find a home if this home no longer keeps the rain out. Again...no kidding!

Reaction Score
BTW: Brey is also the same guy that last spoke to CBS I believe and said that he thought that Syracuse and Pitt might still be in the league once all this done.

CBS is reaching in this article, like they've been reaching for everything.

CBS is the one television network, that has no chance at the sports media competition that is out there right now.

Reaction Score
I agree that Mike Brey is a pretty decent source of info (as opposed to "a friend of a friend"), but I don't think that he said anything that most of us didn't already know. Two big names could leave the conference? No kidding! Jostar named three in two minutes, and I'm guessing he didn't need a meeting with Swarbrick! This is all old news, and he essentially said ND will always find a home if this home no longer keeps the rain out. Again...no kidding!

RIght on. There's nothing of value in that article.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score

I wasn't disagreeing with you on this one. I just was saying that it was hard to call this article a CBS Spin Job like Carl was implicating. I agree 100% with what you said that he wasn't saying anything we already didn't know. I feel that the whole article wasn't telling us anything we didn't know. I just found it funny that Carl was saying not to believe any of this. Maybe I read into his post wrong. The joy of the 21st century and communicating!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It was a smart response. It says ND did their due diligence and if they leave it will be a reactionary move not a proactive move.

What's the worse case? FSU leaves and Louisville goes to the ACC and ND goes the BiG for non-football? V Tech and Clemson will be lining up like Missouri and Texas A&M to get out of dodge.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
What's the worse case? FSU leaves and Louisville goes to the ACC and ND goes the BiG for non-football?

I can't see any conference taking ND's non-football sports without getting their football team as well. Any conference just needs to look at the deal the Big East has with ND and sees how horrible it is. ND can take one of their top bowl spots once every three or four years while not being a member of the conference? I can't see any conference delusional enough to think that taking ND's non-football sports would make them the favorite to land their football program if they ever decide to join a conference. I dunno....I just can't see it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I can't see any conference taking ND's non-football sports without getting their football team as well. Any conference just needs to look at the deal the Big East has with ND and sees how horrible it is. ND can take one of their top bowl spots once every three or four years while not being a member of the conference? I can't see any conference delusional enough to think that taking ND's non-football sports would make them the favorite to land their football program if they ever decide to join a conference. I dunno....I just can't see it.

think that the b12 or b10 will take nd's other sports starting 2013 as part of a agreement for nd fball to join post 2015 when the nbc tv contract is up. nd will pick its conf and as part of it, the other sports will join asap to help nd escape the nbe.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
One with direct quotes, from the conference commissioner about Boise STate, and his interactions with the boise president and one from cbs that is trying like hell to spin the Boise AD's comments today out of context to insinuate that Mr. Coyle lied about something.

Mr. Coyle lied about nothing. The MWC is trying to get Boise back, and Boise is committed to the Big East.

But apparently, that's not what CBS' mole said, and even though CBS has the MWC commissioner quoted now on the subject, it says essentially nothing about Boise wanting back into the MWC. I said a week ago, that If I'm anywhere close to right about how this business is going down, the media is going to be pissed off about getting thier information flow cut, and it's happening.

So, Mr. Spackler, if I understand you correctly, since you've been beating this drum now for weeks, your position is:

a) DO NOT believe ANYTHING another conference, its commissioner, or any school official says- and that includes information contained in direct quotes.

b) DO believe EVERYTHING about the Big East, so long as it is directly quoted and that quote is attributed to the conference commissioner or a school president. Otherwise, DO NOT believe ANYTHING about the Big East unless it is a direct quote attributed to the conference commissioner or school president.

What I don't get is, why is it that everyone who isn't associated with the Big East lying, and everyone who is associated with the Big East always speaks the truth? Is it not possible that the Big East miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight lie every now and again? Or that representatives from other conferences or schools might sometimes tell the truth?

Reaction Score
The big east needs to keep their plan quiet and needs to get to the negotiating table in one piece. Ultimately, if the contract on the table is very good, it may still result in more realignment. If UConn or Louisville can go to the B12 or ACC and tell them that NBE members are about to lock themselves up for a long time, they will try to parlay it into an invite elsewhere.

I don't expect the Big East to be blatantly bragging about how good things may turn out. As long as the presidents know how things are looking, there is no need for you or I to know. The fact that the news slipped about a good contract possibly coming seems like ND's doing to me. They are the ones talking in the media and they are the ones with the most to gain. "let's make it look like the NBE is going to survive so we can further negotiate with he B12" and "let's make it seem like all is well to further stabilize the conference in case we want to stay here". Self serving stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom