Big East will add Boise, San Diego St, Houston, UCF, SMU Wednesday. Will join league in 2013 | The Boneyard

Big East will add Boise, San Diego St, Houston, UCF, SMU Wednesday. Will join league in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coming from CBSSports - all UConn sports teams are going to be racking up some frequent flyer miles. How does everyone feel about the new additions vs the schools leaving - Pitt, W Va and Syracuse? What affect if any on recruting? May help - even more national exposure?

Reaction Score
I do not see these additions helping WBB. It might benefit men's football and basketball. Other sports? Maybe. Recruiting? Right now, UConn is a national presence. Is there room for more presence? If there is, then it helps.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
More visits to Texas, FL, and CA are great for Geno and CD.

For football and basketball? That's a gigantic crap sandwich. There is no sugarcoating it.

Reaction Score
Rumors of an imminent announcement have been floating for weeks, if not months. I'll believe it when it actually happens.

Increased presence in TX & FL will be nice. But conference quality falls as none of these teams have good WCBB. Should be useful for mid-tier teams like Marquette and St John's which should be able to pick up more conference wins.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Texas recruits will be able to play four times (at least) in their home state during their four years...eight total if UConn continues the home and home series with Baylor and TAMU! Plus I get to see the team more! Great news!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
SMU women's basketball team is coached by Rhonda Rompola who played for 2 seasons on ODU's 1981 and 1982 AIAW championship teams along with Nancy Lieberman and Anne Donovan. Rompola subsequently transferred to SMU. She and I share the same hometown in New Jersey and high school alma mater, though I am (slightly) older.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Useless and in the long run very expensive for the conference. Mid major all the way.

Reaction Score
Coming from CBSSports - all UConn sports teams are going to be racking up some frequent flyer miles. How does everyone feel about the new additions vs the schools leaving - Pitt, W Va and Syracuse? What affect if any on recruting? May help - even more national exposure?
It seems they would have to change the name from The Big EAST to something else!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Not CA. SDSU addition is in football only.
Got it. Haven't been following Big East realignment closely.

I still think UConn (perhaps less openly) continues to pursue other options and jumps if an invite to the ACC, for instance, is forthcoming. This change seems like a bandaid that doesn't address the conference's fundamental vulnerabilities.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
You can bet SDSU will attempt to schedule games with both UConn basketball teams at least every year or so. It wouldn't surprise me to see a home/away series setup. It doesn't make sense from a travel costs perspective for SDSU for all sports but to setup home/away series with selective Big East schools would. They could still make the NCAA tournament in their existing conference while if they joined the Big East, the odds would be stacked against them.

Reaction Score
Texas recruits will be able to play four times (at least) in their home state during their four years...eight total if UConn continues the home and home series with Baylor and TAMU! Plus I get to see the team more! Great news!!
Happy for you Sarah:) This may be the one potential positive in this mess. Texas is loaded with excellent young womens/mens basketball players and football players. Aside from that<and as to whether we would get them> the Big East had become IMHO the best womens and mens basketball conference in the country. The ACC are the big winners in this money motivated move. I hate what has happened. The teams being added are not close to the caliber of what we are losing.:mad:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i could NOT be more thrilled. i will get to see UCONN play every other year and i'll have front row seats for the game. SDSU is about 20 minutes from my home. SDSU is a very good mid major team. they sniff around the top 25 a lot lately. the other teams will add zero to the WCBB or MCBB league.

Reaction Score
i could NOT be more thrilled. i will get to see UCONN play every other year and i'll have front row seats for the game. SDSU is about 20 minutes from my home. SDSU is a very good mid major team. they sniff around the top 25 a lot lately. the other teams will add zero to the WCBB or MCBB league.
Eric,if SDSU works out a home and away in BB that works out great for you;) You also nailed it that the other schools add zero,zippo to BB:mad:

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score

Those are some good and upcoming football programs, but basketball wise???? Not even luke warm.

Personally, any program west of the Mississippi River should not be considered for the Big East. They should now become the "New Conference USA".

But, if gets UCONN Basketball to Dallas.... I'm for it. Not that Baylor was far away!

Reaction Score
Useless and in the long run very expensive for the conference.

Not really very expensive at all. At worst, each team will now have 1 trip to TX and 1 trip to FL every year. And it may very well be less - I can envision playing the TX schools on the road 1 year (back to back) and the FL schools at home that year. Most teams already have a good road trip every year -- they could just replace that with this.

And trips to warm weather climates are hardly bad for most teams.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not really very expensive at all. At worst, each team will now have 1 trip to TX and 1 trip to FL every year. And it may very well be less - I can envision playing the TX schools on the road 1 year (back to back) and the FL schools at home that year. Most teams already have a good road trip every year -- they could just replace that with this.

And trips to warm weather climates are hardly bad for most teams.
Each team for every sport .

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
There's no new news, so we have to suck it up and live with it. Eric will get to see football live every other year or so.. It helps football actually as they are upgrades BS > WV; SMU, UCF and HU better than Cuse/Pitt. SDSU who knows. It can't hurt BE women as they will have even more exposure in TX as noted above. Men's bball not a whit and the olympic sports just more costly.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's no new news, so we have to suck it up and live with it. Eric will get to see football live every other year or so.. It helps football actually as they are upgrades BS > WV; SMU, UCF and HU better than Cuse/Pitt. SDSU who knows. It can't hurt BE women as they will have even more exposure in TX as noted above. Men's bball not a whit and the olympic sports just more costly.
agreed Drum. the league will have to get creative with travel - but i don't see it as a bad thing for now. it's all about football. but losing PItt and Syracuse from a WCBB perspective is no biggie. SDSU is at least as good, if not better, then Syracuse and certainly better than PItt... of the rest of the teams, for WCBB at least, it's a net loss as WVU is a good team. on the men's side it's not quite as bad.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
While this will keep the BE alive for a while longer, it doesn't solve the fundamental problem - a split conference of priorities. After 2013, it may all be irrelevant if the AQ status for football disappears.

Reaction Score
Each team for every sport .

As I already stated, if the team was already making a long road trip every year (which most are) and this is substituted for it, how exactly is there an increase in travel costs?

Secondly, it's not for all sports.
- These schools don't have ice hockey.
- Houston doesnt have field hockey or lacrosse. Havent checked the other 2.
- Track doesnt have individual matches, just regional meets.

Largely we're look at M&W basketball, M&W soccer, baseball, softball, W volleyball.

A non-issue for basketball.
A non-issue for baseball/softball, which are already spending the first 4-5 weeks of the season (in Feb/Mar) traveling to warm weather.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
oh my bad. Boise and SDSU are football only. i won't get to see MCBB or WCBB unless they do a home and home series with them for some reason. bummer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom