Big East Weekly Honors 2/26 | The Boneyard

Big East Weekly Honors 2/26

Reaction Score
starting a new thread because i know the moderators hate when we constantly bump old threads.

Tristen Newton, Connecticut, G, Jr. – Averaged 18.5 points, 14.0 boards and 7.0 assists in a 1-1 week. Had a triple-double in a win against Villanova with 10 points, 16 rebounds and 10 assists.

Stephon Castle, UConn, G, Fr. – Castle averaged 12.0 points and 4.0 rebounds in a 1-1 week that included 14 points, six rebounds and two blocks in a 78-54 victory over Villanova. His ninth Freshman of the Week honor ties for second place on the BIG EAST’s all-time list with Georgetown’s Allen Iverson, who was a freshman in 1994-95. Syracuse’s Carmelo Anthony is the all-time leader with 10 in 2002-03.

PlayerTeamPOTWFOTWHonor Role
Pierre BrooksButler1
Jahmyl TelfortButler3
Jalen ThomasButler1
DJ DavisButler2
Trey AlexanderCreighton23
Baylor ScheiermanCreighton13
Ryan KalkbrennerCreighton2
Chico CarterDePaul1
Rowan BrumbaughGeorgetown1
Dontrez StylesGeorgetown1
Jayden EppsGeorgetown2
Kam JonesMarquette2
Tyler KolekMarquette24
Oso IghodaroMarquette2
Sean JonesMarquette1
Devin CarterPeeCee26
Bryce HopkinsPeeCee3
Rich BarronPeeCee1
Josh OduroPeeCee1
Kadary RichmondSeton Hall24
Al-Amir DawesSeton Hall11
Dre DavisSeton Hall1
Isaiah ColemanSeton Hall2
Joel SorianoSt. John's5
Brady DunlapSt. John's1
Daniss JenkinsSt. John's3
Donovan ClinganUConn2
Stephon CastleUConn9
Alex KarabanUConn4
Tristen NewtonUConn15
Solomon BallUConn1
Cam SpencerUConn2
Eric DixonVillanova13
Tyler BurtonVillanova1
TJ BambaVillanova1
Desmond ClaudeXavier3
Lazar DjokovicXavier1
Quincy OlivariXavier13

Reaction Score
it would be crazy if steph castle unseated carmelo anthony just because there isn't a single other decent freshman in the big east this year.

i mean, castle has been awesome, but there have been weeks where he straight up should not have won this award and still did, just because there was no one else who could reasonably claim it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not starting a separate thread on coaches poll, but we're #2 by a single vote over Purdue at #3. Houston got 25 1st place votes, we got 3, Purdue got 4.

Reaction Score
How much do you think Big East award voters take these weekly honors into account at the end of the year in terms of POY and all conference teams? No one is doing what Tris and to an extent Cam are doing yet they don’t get the recognition that some other players do with these awards who are objectively not having as good as seasons.

Reaction Score
How much do you think Big East award voters take these weekly honors into account at the end of the year in terms of POY and all conference teams? No one is doing what Tris and to an extent Cam are doing yet they don’t get the recognition that some other players do with these awards who are objectively not having as good as seasons.
i am not sure! one of the reasons i wanted to keep track of everything throughout the year was to see how closely they aligned.

after the close of the regular season, i am going to tabulate every potw and honor role (will probably do straight-up and a weighted version where potw counts for more) and we will see whether it lines up with the all-conference teams.

Reaction Score
it would be crazy if steph castle unseated carmelo anthony just because there isn't a single other decent freshman in the big east this year.

i mean, castle has been awesome, but there have been weeks where he straight up should not have won this award and still did, just because there was no one else who could reasonably claim it.
Good point. I may be way behind here, bet everyone already knew this, but seems like pre-season hype factors in to many media awards.
They were waiting to give steph this award, week after week.

Cam had no hype before he came here and isn't mentioned on many all-american lists that I've seen (1st team-honorable mention)

He is the most heady, consistent player on a top 3 team in the country

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If my information is correct:
Cam Spencer has 1,721 career points, 425 this year
Tristen Newton has 1,836 career points, 426 this year

for reference
Chris Smith had 2,145 career points, 637 his senior year

Reaction Score
Seems almost every week Spencer has 1 very good game and 1 average to below average game. If he puts together 2 very good games in the same week he might finally win the POTW award.

Reaction Score
i am not sure! one of the reasons i wanted to keep track of everything throughout the year was to see how closely they aligned.

after the close of the regular season, i am going to tabulate every potw and honor role (will probably do straight-up and a weighted version where potw counts for more) and we will see whether it lines up with the all-conference teams.
I’d think 8 fotw would make a strong case for an all conference spot.

Reaction Score
I’d think 8 fotw would make a strong case for an all conference spot.
i actually disagree. castle had weeks where he won fotw while averaging, like, 5 ppg. as i mentioned above, he won these awards by virtue of the fact that there are just ZERO other significant freshmen contributors in the league.

we know that newton is basically assured a spot. would you put castle above our other candidates (karaban, spencer, and clingan) just because he won these honors?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

This the mindset. Just to erase another 'cuse player from the record books. Continue driving them in to a graveyard.

Jim

Reaction Score
First, thanks to @elmcityboy for the updated table. Second, the fact that UConn has six players on the list (two more than any other school) means that on any given night we have different players stepping up. The downside of that is that BE end-of-year honors get diluted as votes get spread over more UConn teammates. Don't be surprised to see a bunch of 2nd team and honorable mentions instead of bringing home individuals' hardware.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
i actually disagree. castle had weeks where he won fotw while averaging, like, 5 ppg. as i mentioned above, he won these awards by virtue of the fact that there are just ZERO other significant freshmen contributors in the league.

we know that newton is basically assured a spot. would you put castle above our other candidates (karaban, spencer, and clingan) just because he won these honors?
I guess defense doesn't count - and I highly doubt there have been multiple weeks when he averaged 5 ppg and won the award

Reaction Score
I guess defense doesn't count - and I highly doubt there have been multiple weeks when he averaged 5 ppg and won the award
if you are talking about big east weekly honors, you are kind of correct -- they only really seem to look at basic counting stats. so defense is only accounted for in terms of steals, blocks, and rebounds. it's why andre jackson wasn't recognized nearly as often as he should have been.

and i just double checked. castle won the award the week of january 1st while averaging 6 ppg and won it last week averaging 9 ppg, including the game against marquette where he scored 3 points on 15% shooting. so i was being a little extreme, but the point remains that in a typical big east year, he would not have nearly as many fotw honors.

Reaction Score
March 13 could be a big day for the UConn men's basketball team, with prime candidates for all four awards. Or, it could provide Dan Hurley & Co. with plenty of ammunition if the Huskies don't get much love.

Let's take a look at the Big East's upcoming awards, who are the favorites to win, and how the Huskies may or may not clean up

Alternate access:

Will UConn men's basketball team sweep Big East awards? Or will Dan Hurley have more ammunition?

Reaction Score
March 13 could be a big day for the UConn men's basketball team, with prime candidates for all four awards. Or, it could provide Dan Hurley & Co. with plenty of ammunition if the Huskies don't get much love.

Let's take a look at the Big East's upcoming awards, who are the favorites to win, and how the Huskies may or may not clean up

Alternate access:

Will UConn men's basketball team sweep Big East awards? Or will Dan Hurley have more ammunition?

I have not read the article yet, but I actually hope UConn doesn't win all of the awards. I hope some players win an award here or there, but I think the chip on their shoulders helps. Go back to 2011. Ben Hansborough won BEPOY over Kemba. It was a joke, but I wouldn't change it for anything. I think Kemba was irked and he played with a vengeance which benefitted UConn as a whole as they won it all.

Also, look at the Detroit Pistons in 2006 when they started out the season like 37-5 or something like that. After four of their starters were named to the all star team, Bill Simmons wrote that it civilized them and they lost that irritability and edge that made them so good. I am sure there were other factors, but I think that edge they played with was a big factor and that was lost.

Reaction Score
I have not read the article yet, but I actually hope UConn doesn't win all of the awards. I hope some players win an award here or there, but I think the chip on their shoulders helps. Go back to 2011. Ben Hansborough won BEPOY over Kemba. It was a joke, but I wouldn't change it for anything. I think Kemba was irked and he played with a vengeance which benefitted UConn as a whole as they won it all.

Also, look at the Detroit Pistons in 2006 when they started out the season like 37-5 or something like that. After four of their starters were named to the all star team, Bill Simmons wrote that it civilized them and they lost that irritability and edge that made them so good. I am sure there were other factors, but I think that edge they played with was a big factor and that was lost.
Only has Castle winning FOTY (no brainer) and Hurley winning COTY.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Scholar Athlete:

This is really impressive. Perhaps I have led a sheltered life but I have never heard of anyone who was a triple major.

But Alex Karaban, a triple-major in statistics, computer science and sports management, has to be a candidate, right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom