Big East tourney format ? | The Boneyard

Big East tourney format ?

Reaction Score
Been thinking about this, and I’m trying to figure out how to format the tournament with 11 teams. Do the bottom 3 not make the tournament? I can’t figure out how the format would work if every team played, even with single and double byes.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Reaction Score
I guess this?

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.22.52 PM.png

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
So for us, ideal scenario is get to full health (Bouknight back, like, tomorrow) and make a run up to the 3-seed, thus probably putting us in position to avoid Nova until the final. Although at full health, I think we have a good shot against anybody. And if this happens, we are a lock for NCAA tourney and don’t even have to stress about winning the conference tournament (like the last 4 years). Would be nice though to win it in our first year...

But top 5 is absolutely the aim. The difference between having to play 3 games to win vs 4 games to win is huge (although one Kemba Walker might say otherwise).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So for us, ideal scenario is get to full health (Bouknight back, like, tomorrow) and make a run up to the 3-seed, thus probably putting us in position to avoid Nova until the final. Although at full health, I think we have a good shot against anybody. And if this happens, we are a lock for NCAA tourney and don’t even have to stress about winning the conference tournament (like the last 4 years). Would be nice though for our first year...

But top 5 is absolutely the aim. The difference between having to play 3 to win vs 4 to win is huge (although one Kemba Walker might say otherwise).

Yeah. there is no difference in 4/5 seed. Either way you get a bye, play the other one and have the #1 seed in the semis.

In terms of top teams, the difference between 4 and 3 is the biggest difference in the 11 man tourney.

Reaction Score
Yeah. there is no difference in 4/5 seed. Either way you get a bye, play the other one and have the #1 seed in the semis.

In terms of top teams, the difference between 4 and 3 is the biggest difference in the 11 man tourney.
3 seed might be out of reach with Seton Hall at 9-5 playing pretty well & having a favorable schedule left but who knows if we get on a run and S Hall fumbles.

The 4 & 5 seeds realistically between UConn / Xavier / St. John's / Providence all grouped around .500 +/- 1 game.

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Also, winning our next 2 games puts us in a very different aim. We beat PC and Nova this week (lofty, I know, but not out of the question at full strength), and we’re talking about paths to a top 2 seed, particularly with a weaker schedule to close out the season.

Lose our next 2 and we are in a tough spot.

Reaction Score
3 seed might be out of reach with Seton Hall at 9-5, playing pretty well & having a favorable schedule left but who knows if we get on a run and S Hall fumbles.

The 4 & 5 seeds realistically between UConn / Xavier / St. John's / Providence all grouped around .500 +/- 1 game.
UConn would claim the 3 seed with win in all remaining games except 1. And seton hall losing 2 games.

No matter the seed, should be in the big tourney with 1 more Q1 win and avoiding multiple Q3/Q2 losses.

Reaction Score
So for us, ideal scenario is get to full health (Bouknight back, like, tomorrow) and make a run up to the 3-seed, thus probably putting us in position to avoid Nova until the final. Although at full health, I think we have a good shot against anybody. And if this happens, we are a lock for NCAA tourney and don’t even have to stress about winning the conference tournament (like the last 4 years). Would be nice though to win it in our first year...

But top 5 is absolutely the aim. The difference between having to play 3 games to win vs 4 games to win is huge (although one Kemba Walker might say otherwise).
After this past week I'm not sure getting Creighton in the semis instead of Nova is any prize.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
After this past week I'm not sure getting Creighton in the semis instead of Nova is any prize.
I hear ya...
I think we can nab both on a good night at full strength. Don’t love our chances against either, but if I had to pick one to face, I think we match up better with Creighton.

Reaction Score
This is awesome, but it looks like it only seeds the top 10 teams.
Think the creator fixed it.

If we win out, we've got a good chance at the 3 seed. Makeup games are still a bi of a wildcard though.

Reaction Score
Think the creator fixed it.

If we win out, we've got a good chance at the 3 seed. Makeup games are still a bi of a wildcard though.
Praise be to Him.

Edit: or Her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom