Big East thread | The Boneyard

Big East thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A thread to discuss games and news specific to the Big East

I will start with a very disappointing loss by Seton Hall to Fordham 82-63 at home.

Stats look like both MSST transfers did well AEH and Sidney Cooks but Park-Lane not so good.
No one else of positive note

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It will be an interesting conference to follow. The conference (not counting UConn) "opened" 5 wins, 5 losses. Not all "bad" losses, but several were questionable for a conference that I think considers itself just behind the Power 5.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Xavier just got drilled by Utah 106-71. Utes scored 105 in their previous game, I'm not sure how good they are but they can certainly put points on the board.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Providence eeks out OT winner over Maine after losing OT in game 1 to yale.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well both Xavier and Providence are near the bottom of the league. The hope for the Beg East is UConn, DePaul, Seton Hall, Marquette and Villanova. The rest are St.John's, Creighton, then the bottom 4 of Georgetown, Butler, Providence and Xavier. Villonova has played two good teams but do need to get some wins quick.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Xavier just got drilled by Utah 106-71. Utes scored 105 in their previous game, I'm not sure how good they are but they can certainly put points on the board.
Two years ago Utah lost to both Xavier and Cincinnati in a road trip to southern Ohio. I guess this is part one of the revenge tour. They get Cincinnati at home next week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Disappointed to see Seton Hall lose to Fordham. I was really hopeful that the addition of Sidney Cooks (#5 2017 recruit) alongside AEH and Park Lane would make them a legitimate tournament team. It's obviously early and still possible, but a disappointing loss early in the season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
DePaul got smoked by Texas A&M. Other than UConn, Big East not making much of a statement so far.

Plebe

Reaction Score
DePaul got smoked by Texas A&M. Other than UConn, Big East not making much of a statement so far.
Wow! You were super fast to add this comment to this thread. :rolleyes:

DePaul is missing a key player in Jorie Allen. Was A&M missing any key players?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow! You were super fast to add this comment to this thread. :rolleyes:

DePaul is missing a key player in Jorie Allen. Was A&M missing any key players?
I have no clue. I'm not familiar w/ either team's depth chart.

I wasn't that fast. The game had been over for quite a while.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Who is expected to finish in the cellar? Butler not off to a good start, fell to 0-3, trailed Ball St. by double digits most of the game. Losing to Indiana was to be expected, but they got hammered by Western Illinois as well.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Who is expected to finish in the cellar? Butler not off to a good start, fell to 0-3, trailed Ball St. by double digits most of the game. Losing to Indiana was to be expected, but they got hammered by Western Illinois as well.
Butler and Xavier are both terrible. Hard to believe Butler had a decent team just a couple years ago. In 2019 they weren't far from the NCAAT bubble and won a couple of rounds in the WNIT, and they were headed for the WNIT again in 2020. But wow did they fall off a cliff after that.

It's been quite a few years since Xavier wasn't either bad or awful. Two years ago they beat Utah in the season opener and then proceeded to post a 3-27 overall record.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Somewhere I saw someone stated about St. John's losing to Stony Brook. Well I guess Stony Brook is better than many people think they are because they just beat Rutgers on the road, a team that some believe will give some of the B1G trouble.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Somewhere I saw someone stated about St. John's losing to Stony Brook. Well I guess Stony Brook is better than many people think they are because they just beat Rutgers on the road, a team that some believe will give some of the B1G trouble.
"Did" believe would give the B1G trouble. That is in doubt. The interim coach is, to RU fans, a disaster and the team is not looking promising at this point.

That said, there is a lot of talent, mostly acquired through the portal. To be seen . . .

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
"Did" believe would give the B1G trouble. That is in doubt. The interim coach is, to RU fans, a disaster and the team is not looking promising at this point.

That said, there is a lot of talent, mostly acquired through the portal. To be seen . . .
We have trouble breaking 10 points in the first quarter.

We’re not going to win a B1G game.

Reaction Score
Rutgers lost all, if not most, of their starters from last season to transfer/graduation. That was a lot of production alone between Diamond and Arella. They have a bunch of transfers. They may not have the right chemistry. IMHO, it would have been a struggle to win even if Coach Stringer was working the sidelines.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

You've got Minnesota twice so you do have a chance at 2 wins.:rolleyes:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Rutgers lost all, if not most, of their starters from last season to transfer/graduation. That was a lot of production alone between Diamond and Arella. They have a bunch of transfers. They may not have the right chemistry. IMHO, it would have been a struggle to win even if Coach Stringer was working the sidelines.
I still believe we would be in better shape. If only for the fact that CVS would never have a 14 player rotation. She would already have a set rotation in place so the players could get chemistry playing together and gel. This juggling 14 players in and out before halftime is insane, and doesn’t even attempt to let the players get used to playing with each other.

What it is what it is. Hopefully CVS will retire as she should at the end of this season and we can rebuilt with hopefully a good up and coming coach.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's early yet, but judging from these early scores, it doesn't look like any of the BIG East teams will put up much resistance this year when playing UConn. Marquette, DePaul and Seton Hall are suppose to be the "best of the rest" in the BIG East. We'll see.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's early yet, but judging from these early scores, it doesn't look like any of the BIG East teams will put up much resistance this year when playing UConn. Marquette, DePaul and Seton Hall are suppose to be the "best of the rest" in the BIG East. We'll see.
Overall depth might be better than AAC, but it doesn't appear like the best of the rest are any significant change from what USF and then UCF presented to UConn. Maybe the Huskies will drag up the level of competition given some time.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Perhaps ...........just maybe CVS saw the writing on the wall with respect to this year's team overall chances of being competitive and decided to take a sabbatical leave this year for "health" reasons. :rolleyes: Didn't she recently take an extended amount of time off?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Overall depth might be better than AAC, but it doesn't appear like the best of the rest are any significant change from what USF and then UCF presented to UConn. Maybe the Huskies will drag up the level of competition given some time.
Getting out of the AAC was a MUST!! Our football program was not going to allow us to attract an invitation from a P-5 conference in the foreseeable future. Moving to the BIG East was the next best option, even though it meant forsaking the football team which had to go independent.

Oh gee, they did and they survived. It worked out well for the entire athletic program. In fairness to the AAC, being in that conference NEVER hindered UConn in winning some championships. Being in the BIG East won't either. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'd like to see 3-4 more teams replace the bottom dwellers in the BIG East to make the conference top to bottom a little more competitive. Butler, St. John's, Georgetown Providence and Xavier are bottom feeders and add nothing to the conference. Our reserves should get a lot of playing time against these schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom