Big East teams | The Boneyard

Big East teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, at least no one has a losing record. What's going on with St. John's?

Team........ BEast record..... Overall record

Connecticut 1 - 0 1.000 ......9 - 0 1.000
Notre Dame 1 - 0 1.000...... 9 - 1 .9900
DePaul....... 1 - 0 1.000....... 9 - 2 .818
Georgetown 1 - 0 1.000....... 9 - 2 .818
Louisville... 1 - 0 1.000 .......9 - 2 .818
Villanova ...1 - 0 1.000 .......8 - 2 .800
West Virginia 1 - 0 1.000..... 7 - 2 .778
Rutgers ......0 - 0 .000......... 9 - 2 .818
USF ............0 - 0 .000 ........6 - 5 .545
Syracuse .....0 - 1 .000 ........7 - 3 .700
Cincinnati ...0 - 1 .000........ 6 - 3 .667
Marquette ...0 - 1 .000........ 6 - 5 .545
Seton Hall ...0 - 1 .000 ........6 - 5 .545
Pittsburgh ...0 - 1 .000 ........5 - 5 .500
Providence ..0 - 1 .000 ........5 - 5 .500
St. John's.... 0 - 1 .000 .........5 - 5 .500

Reaction Score
Answer: Tough schedule coupled with missing their best player (Stevens).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I will give them St. Bonaventure and, of course Baylor, but SJU lost to Hofstra and Iowa.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I really like SJU's coach and I think in a few years they could be on the upper part of the BE. They are just uneven right now. But they definitely didn't shy away from Baylor, and I doubt they will be intimidated by UConn.

Reaction Score
I really like SJU's coach and I think in a few years they could be on the upper part of the BE.

That was my thinking several years ago, especially when they landed several quality players (like Kia Wright), but they've seemed to max out. Not sure of the issue.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That was my thinking several years ago, especially when they landed several quality players (like Kia Wright), but they've seemed to max out. Not sure of the issue.
SJU actually seems to have some very good players in Eugenia McPherson, Shennika Smith, Keylantra Langley (from Bridgeport), Mary Nwachuku and of course Nadira McKennith. And Kim B-A is a good coach. Hmm, in looking at their stats, the Johnnies seem to be playing 4 guards plus 6-2 Nwachuku. Maybe the smaller lineup has been exploited by bigger teams? Don't know.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i have a hard time at this point jumping u and down for the BE since in the future, we will be without PItt, Syracuse and WVU, but adding UCF, Houston, and whoever. from the WCBB side, i think even tho PItt has been horrible lately, Syracuse and WVU have been solid and it will definitely result in a downturn in the RPI for the BE.

having said that, i think if SJU was going to make a big splash they already would have done it. Smith is a senior and as a top 10 recruit 4 years ago, that would have been the time to build upon it. the NY hoops scene is loaded with talent and much like GG in Texas, she's mostly been unable to keep most of the best kids home. i suspect SJU will remain firmly in the middle of the BE and not challenge UCONN, ND, RU, or Depaul as the normal players in the upper echelon.

i'm not sure about Georgetown. they lose Rogers this year and i'm not sure how the recruiting has been over the past 2-3 years to replace players like her and McNutt...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'd also like to know what's up with Providence, too. Seymour has had some good players in recent years, enough that PC should have at least risen a couple of notches in the BEast. Maybe the BEast has been that tough lately? Anywho, I suspect the reason has less to do with talent or coaching that it does university support. PC barely supports its mens team, I don't like to think what crumbs are left over for the women.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I'd also like to know what's up with Providence, too. Seymour has had some good players in recent years, enough that PC should have at least risen a couple of notches in the BEast. Maybe the BEast has been that tough lately? Anywho, I suspect the reason has less to do with talent or coaching that it does university support. PC barely supports its mens team, I don't like to think what crumbs are left over for the women.
Yeah, it seems they provide lousy support. The previous coach, Jim Jabir is now at Dayton and has his team at the top of the A10, but he was lucky to win a game or two each year in the BE.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What seems clear is that Notre Dame and UConn have separated themselves from the rest of the conference this season, and it will be extremely unlikely that anyone can prevent these two teams from meeting at least thrice before all is said and done. There's no 2010-11 DePaul-like team in the league right now.

Reaction Score

That's a shame. Providence was once a power in both men's and women's basketball. One of my all time favorite teams was the Dave Gavitt coached 1973 team that featured Marvin Barnes, Ernie Digregorio, Kevin Stacum, and Nehru King. Digregorio played a style of ball that tends to drive the purists nuts. For him to throw a behind the back half court passes was not at all uncommon.

Has there ever been a discussion about Providence's decline? I know absolutely nothing. The last players I recall were players like Carlton Shields and God Shammgod; Very likely well over a decade ago.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree with the comments about St. John's (can't get over the hump?) and Providence - actually knew someone that played (briefly) during the Jabir era, and Providence did not support the women's team then. And the facility . . .

As to Georgetown - I think it all comes down to recruiting going forward, an area where I think she does have a bit of an advantage with her brother.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That's a shame. Providence was once a power in both men's and women's basketball. One of my all time favorite teams was the Dave Gavitt coached 1973 team that featured Marvin Barnes, Ernie Digregorio, Kevin Stacum, and Nehru King. Digregorio played a style of ball that tends to drive the purists nuts. For him to throw a behind the back half court passes was not at all uncommon.

Has there ever been a discussion about Providence's decline? I know absolutely nothing. The last players I recall were players like Carlton Shields and God Shammgod; Very likely well over a decade ago.
Ryan Gomes... go mention that name on the men's board! :cool:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
SJU actually seems to have some very good players in Eugenia McPherson, Shennika Smith, Keylantra Langley (from Bridgeport), Mary Nwachuku and of course Nadira McKennith. And Kim B-A is a good coach. Hmm, in looking at their stats, the Johnnies seem to be playing 4 guards plus 6-2 Nwachuku. Maybe the smaller lineup has been exploited by bigger teams? Don't know.

Manchester's Ashley Perez joins them next season and another solid kid but I cant remember the name

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As to Georgetown - I think it all comes down to recruiting going forward, an area where I think she does have a bit of an advantage with her brother.
Yes, being the sister of Boo Williams is certainly nice. I'm sure he tells his sister about not only kids in his program but the promising girls he seen on the AAU trail. Boo Williams plays a national schedule.

Reaction Score
New Big East teams

Houston upped its record to 1-9 with a win over the Huskies (of Houston Baptist).
UCF, at 4-5, has a game with its future BE wbb (though not football) rival Notre Dame coming up next week.
SMU snapped a three-game losing streak with a win over Northwestern State to move to 5-4.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
New Big East teams

Houston upped its record to 1-9 with a win over the Huskies (of Houston Baptist).
UCF, at 4-5, has a game with its future BE wbb (though not football) rival Notre Dame coming up next week.
SMU snapped a three-game losing streak with a win over Northwestern State to move to 5-4.
Sounds like some quality WBB competition coming in.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just a reminder - I'm sure it has been discussed elsewhere and I missed it - Houston has certainly been good, under Joe Curl until heart issues forced him to step down. So there is at least potential. Let's not tout that win against Houston Baptist - that was a battle of 2 non-victorious teams, someone had to win.

SMU has had good seasons, but has had the same coach for a very long time, I'm not optimistic that they care, certainly a string of misery of late.

I think UCF would like to be a big time player across the board. I haven't followed them closely, but former RU player Courtney Locke was an assistant there before joining Carlene at UCSB, so I did track them a bit. Historically, they were in a pattern of playing (and losing) a relatively tough ooc schedule, and then hoping to do well in conference. They always looked streaky to me, but I think they did win the conference at least one of the seasons Courtney was there. I assume they will try to improve in the Big East.

Reaction Score
LOL, how did you miss this? (WARNING - f-bomb alert!)

Was that the game UConn lost when reporters were questioning why Coach Calhoun did not recruit Gomes, to which Calhoun replied that he got Caron Butler that year?

Reaction Score
No need to answer the question. I never saw the unedited version. Coach Calhoun was not reprimanded for this? He is made for youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom