Big East teams turn down NIT | The Boneyard

Big East teams turn down NIT

Reaction Score
Seton Hall and several other programs that missed the NCAA Tournament also declined bids, including fellow Big East teams St. John's and Xavier.

Hall athletics director Bryan Felt:
“Kevin (Willard) and I talked about it, and Kevin talked with his team about it,” Felt said. “This year was a grind with everything these guys had to do — there were tons of demands with the (COVID) guidelines.”

“We are disappointed how the season ended but we are excited for the future," Xavier Coach, Steele said. "As much as we would like to continue playing games, we decided that the best decision for the future of our program is to devote the extra allowable practice time in March to individual instruction. We have a very young team and our coaching staff is looking forward to the opportunity to work extensively with these guys, which is something we were not able to do this past spring and summer. We will have extended opportunities for development through the end of the current season and we plan to take full advantage of the time to improve individually and as a team.”

Reaction Score
Louisville also declined. (But they will play in the NCAA if they get the Covid call.)

Reaction Score
NIT

1 Colorado State
4 Buffalo

2 Davidson
3 NC State

1 Memphis
4 Dayton

2 Boise State
3 SMU

1 St. Louis
4 Missouri State

2 Richmond
3 Toledo

1 Ole Miss
4 Louisiana Tech

2 St. Mary's
3 Western Kentucky

First Four Out.
Belmont
Furman
Marshall
UAB

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
NIT

1 Colorado State
4 Buffalo

2 Davidson
3 NC State

1 Memphis
4 Dayton

2 Boise State
3 SMU

1 St. Louis
4 Missouri State

2 Richmond
3 Toledo

1 Ole Miss
4 Louisiana Tech

2 St. Mary's
3 Western Kentucky

First Four Out.
Belmont
Furman
Marshall
UAB
I like NC State or St. Louis.

Reaction Score
Declining the NIT is petulant and short sighted. The teams should play more basketball. No one knows what next year holds.
Ordinarily yes, I agree. This year, maybe declining and letting the kids focus on school is the better option. This covid is a royal PITA and if the Big East is abstaining, it probably makes sense. I don't think it's petulant, I think it's just not worth it this year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Belmont led the nation in wins and they don't even get into the NIT field????????????????
That is plain BS
I don't care who they play they won 26 games
People were complaining they didn't get a NCAA bid but no NIT??
What a screwed up process and year

Reaction Score
WOW! I can't even imagine if the Big East sent schools, and the ACC all declined the NIT. The boneyard would have roasted them for being Prima Donnas. It wasn't enough for St John's, Seton Hall, and Xavier to play their way out of an NCAA bid late in the season (and hand them to the likes of Cuse, NC, and the 12th place Big 10 team ...). Now they won't play in the tournament that they belong in ... though I assume were eagerly looking to play in that other tournament.

Weak sauce.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
this NIT declining stuff lately is totally bogus, and the greatest possible insult to a fanbase. if UConn declined an invite to the NIT without cause, i'd cease to be a fan since it would be as if they just walked up to me, and kicked me in the nutz while yelling 'sucker!' truly disgusting, and a bad, very bad, recent trend. my respect for stj/x/sh just dropped a huge notch.
ncaa clowns had better do something soon about this, and by action, reinforce the message that to be invited is an honor and a privilege, and not a chore to be avoided.
of course, and other than the fans, the biggest losers are the players. garuntee if u asked them, at least 99% would say 'yes, let's keep playing.'

Reaction Score
The kids want to spend time with the their families, friends, and actually see females without having to worry about getting in trouble or forcing their team into quarantine. They deserve it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom