Big East Teams & the 2021 Basketball Transfer Portal | The Boneyard

Big East Teams & the 2021 Basketball Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
Let me ask those posters who follow college basketball closer then I do ....... which Big East teams have thus far been the winners and which teams have been the losers in the 2021Basketball Transfer Portal ?

Thanks.

Reaction Score
Big East hasn’t been a big destination for major transfers but seton hall for sure.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall and Marquette did a great job adding new talent, but I'd also throw UConn and Villanova in there. Avoided any major transfers even with all the chaos, and brought back their top seniors to stay at the top of the league

Creighton and Georgetown were the losers, but I don't think anyone was hurt to the point where it'll hurt the league

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Has every team participated? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The big winner is Seton Hall, but Butler deserves consideration too.

Butler retained three-fifths of their starting lineup as grad transfers (Aaron Thompson, Bryce Nze, Jair Bolden), but return Christian David as a grad transfer.

Their only transfer out was Markeese Hastings (9.4 mpg) and they added Eastern Michigan's Ty Groce today (6’8 215 grad transfer: 15.2p, 6.9r, 1.3s, 2.0a, 0.8b, 34 3p% in 33 mpg).

Not counting to this thread, but they also "add" their highest rated '20 recruit with Scooby Johnson sitting out last year with an ACL tear.

I like St. John's haul too. Soriano (classic post), Smith (scoring guard), Wheeler (stretch big) and Mathis (defensive big guard) help soften the blow of losing Greg Williams and the other six Johnnies that transferred out. However, I'm not super high on any of those other six players, so I like the net gain overall.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Scooby Johnson pre-knee injury, is a serious top level talent. He has good size and strength as a wing. He can shoot but not a shooter. He will elevate Butler's play if he recovers from that knee injury.

Reaction Score
Winners:

Villanova - kept 2 of 3 best players to remain favorites to win conference coupled with #17 recruiting class in the country and Trey Patterson a top commit who got to campus early in 2020 now enters the mix.
UConn - 0 non-graduating transfers and retained 2 5th year seniors who were BE DPOY and 6MOY to likely be favorites to finish second (or third) in Big East. Lost best player to the draft but offset by top 10 recruiting class. Defense should be top 15-20 in the country with Akok's full return. Just a question of where offense will come from.
Xavier - Brings back their entire rotation except Jason Carter, their top eight scorers, eight of their top nine in minutes per game and likely favorites to finish (second or) third in Big East. After last year's flop missing the tourney, Steele needs to make the tourney with this returning cast or he goes firmly on the hot seat.
Seton Hall - Richmond, Yetna, and retained one of their best players in Cale, keeping them strongly in contention to make tourney despite losing their best player Sandro.
Butler - Everyone came back and added Groce from Eastern Michigan. Finished second to last in the conference last year, probably slated now for anywhere from 4th to 7th in Big East play and an outside shot at the tourney.

Incomplete:

St. John's - this really rides on Champagnie coming back. The amount of turnover on this team right now after playing above expectations would have me concerned. Posh is legit, they got some decent guys back from the portal including Montez and Wheeler. Not idea if Soriano can play at this level coming from the A-10. So Julian will be the tipping point for if this team can get back to being bubble caliber next season
Marquette - On the one hand, Wojo isn't their coach anymore so that's a win for them. On the other, the roster is in complete and total flux. Dawson Garcia is testing the NBA waters, I imagine he returns which would be big for the Golden Eagles. They lost Torrence who had been pretty bad for them so not much to sweat. I'm leaving them as incomplete since the roster is far from settled and are still pretty active in the portal.

Losers:

Creighton - they lost everyone, rotation, stars, best commit. Dark days in Omaha ahead. No idea how coach can stay on going forward. A finish between 7-10 is in the cards for Big East play standings.
Georgetown - Lost Qudus to cross town rival, Blair arguably their best player opted not to extend his career. They did get Rice from Citadel, but too much talent shedded to be competitive next season. They bring in a great recruiting class but probably finish between 7-10 in standings.
DePaul - it's DePaul, they lost their coach and whatever talented players they had. Had a top recruiting class before Coach got fired and that's partially gone. Long rebuild ahead. Will likely finish 11 again.
Providence - Like UConn, lost their best player to the draft. Difference is they have only the #63 ranked 2021 class coming in and while they did get a decent player transferring from Indiana, the loss of Duke will be felt. It wasn't a good team in 2020-2021 and they did not do enough for that to change in 2021-2022. Would peg them for finishing between 7-10 in the standings.

Reaction Score
Great writeup @Storrs South! So excited to be back in the Big East. Agree on Creighton, not sure how he continues.

I would grade us probably by ourselves between winners and incomplete - maybe Status Quo?

Not a guy on the returning roster that can create a shot. Whaley was a coup & Polley gives us a solid bench piece. Give us Rocket or a shot creator & I'd say we belong with those teams as winners who all got better (great recruiting class).

Definitely a credit to Hurley that no one's leaving like the mass exodus at so many schools, like Georgetown.

Don't think we got better losing Bouk and not replacing him - unless a frosh is dynamite (hoping so for sure). A lot of solid players for sure, but need some difference makers outside Sanogo. We were offensively challenged most games without him - and that's being generous!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seton Hall and Marquette did a great job adding new talent, but I'd also throw UConn and Villanova in there. Avoided any major transfers even with all the chaos, and brought back their top seniors to stay at the top of the league

Creighton and Georgetown were the losers, but I don't think anyone was hurt to the point where it'll hurt the league
Totally agree, UConn kept the Big East defensive player of the year and the Big East 6th man of the year while Nova kept the Big East Player of the year along with one of the better players in the league. I think UConn will be around #15 preseason and Nova around #3 preseason.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Winners:

Villanova - kept 2 of 3 best players to remain favorites to win conference coupled with #17 recruiting class in the country and Trey Patterson a top commit who got to campus early in 2020 now enters the mix.
UConn - 0 non-graduating transfers and retained 2 5th year seniors who were BE DPOY and 6MOY to likely be favorites to finish second (or third) in Big East. Lost best player to the draft but offset by top 10 recruiting class. Defense should be top 15-20 in the country with Akok's full return. Just a question of where offense will come from.
Xavier - Brings back their entire rotation except Jason Carter, their top eight scorers, eight of their top nine in minutes per game and likely favorites to finish (second or) third in Big East. After last year's flop missing the tourney, Steele needs to make the tourney with this returning cast or he goes firmly on the hot seat.
Seton Hall - Richmond, Yetna, and retained one of their best players in Cale, keeping them strongly in contention to make tourney despite losing their best player Sandro.
Butler - Everyone came back and added Groce from Eastern Michigan. Finished second to last in the conference last year, probably slated now for anywhere from 4th to 7th in Big East play and an outside shot at the tourney.

Incomplete:

St. John's - this really rides on Champagnie coming back. The amount of turnover on this team right now after playing above expectations would have me concerned. Posh is legit, they got some decent guys back from the portal including Montez and Wheeler. Not idea if Soriano can play at this level coming from the A-10. So Julian will be the tipping point for if this team can get back to being bubble caliber next season
Marquette - On the one hand, Wojo isn't their coach anymore so that's a win for them. On the other, the roster is in complete and total flux. Dawson Garcia is testing the NBA waters, I imagine he returns which would be big for the Golden Eagles. They lost Torrence who had been pretty bad for them so not much to sweat. I'm leaving them as incomplete since the roster is far from settled and are still pretty active in the portal.

Losers:

Creighton - they lost everyone, rotation, stars, best commit. Dark days in Omaha ahead. No idea how coach can stay on going forward. A finish between 7-10 is in the cards for Big East play standings.
Georgetown - Lost Qudus to cross town rival, Blair arguably their best player opted not to extend his career. They did get Rice from Citadel, but too much talent shedded to be competitive next season. They bring in a great recruiting class but probably finish between 7-10 in standings.
DePaul - it's DePaul, they lost their coach and whatever talented players they had. Had a top recruiting class before Coach got fired and that's partially gone. Long rebuild ahead. Will likely finish 11 again.
Providence - Like UConn, lost their best player to the draft. Difference is they have only the #63 ranked 2021 class coming in and while they did get a decent player transferring from Indiana, the loss of Duke will be felt. It wasn't a good team in 2020-2021 and they did not do enough for that to change in 2021-2022. Would peg them for finishing between 7-10 in the standings.
This is fantastic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom