Big East teams 2021-2022 | The Boneyard

Big East teams 2021-2022

Reaction Score
Just pondering the state of the rest of the Big East.
Last season, UCONN pretty much went through the conference like they were playing junior high school teams. Nobody else had a comparable starting 5 or had anyone like Aubrey or Ayleah coming off the bench.
I will say that here and there you could find some talented & motivated individual players that could give anyone some trouble.
I admit that I might be excluding people who had great success in games against other opponents (Maddie Seagrist, Serena Lott, for instance)
Please excuse any spelling errors
Temmy Carda-Creighton
Laura Van Klunnen-Marquette
Lauren Park-Lane-Seton Hall (Jeez! Everything she through up seemed to go in!)
There were a few others, as I'm sure will be pointed out.
With the additional COVID year of eligibility, I'm wondering which of THEIR seniors will be back. Also, how did teams like Marqutte and DePaul do with their recruitment?
By all measurable standards, the Huskies will be sending a stronger, deeper and more experienced ( except for the 4 newbies) team out on the court this year. I'm not even including intangibles, although I'm sure they will be a factor.
Realistically, it's hard to come up with a scenario where any UCONN VS BE game will continue to be competitive after the 3rd quarter, but there will be 20 of them besides the BE Tournament. I imagine most of the BY will be making every effort to watch most or all of them.
Our biggest challenges will, no doubt, become evident in the NC games, but the BE schedule will, no doubt, allow Geno to get a bunch of answers to questions he has.
What would Paige and Azzi look like on the floor together? Would Liv, Dorka and Ayleah be able to create a consistant rotating low/high post combo that would open up the floor for the guards, and box out under the basket?
How far along have Mir, Piath, & Saylor come?Enough to expand Geno's stingy rotation?
Will Aubrey be able to translate her explosiveness to an increased # of minutes?
Will a healthy Nika be able to shoot & facilitate enough to keep her defensive prowess relevant?
Will CW continue the kind of play she showed toward the end of the year?
Which Liv will show up?
And, of course Caroline & Amari...

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
For me, the most interesting things about the Big East schedule will be:

1. Seeing how Geno allocates minutes.

2. Seeing the different lineups he tries to mix and match and whether he looks to press full court a lot, given the numbers this year.

3. Seeing whether he looks real grumpy on the bench like he did for much of last season, and making bets on which player he will have coach the team during a timeout.

4. Seeing whether he yells at someone like he yelled at Nika last season.

5. Are the Freshman three point shooters as good as advertised.

6. Sympathizing with Allen Bestwick and Meghan Culmo as they try to keep our interest during a 60 point blowout.

DePaul, Marquette and Seton Hall should make the NCAA Tournament but this will be yet another undefeated run through the Conference season and tournament for UConn.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
For me, the most interesting things about the Big East schedule will be:

1. Seeing how Geno allocates minutes.

2. Seeing the different lineups he tries to mix and match and whether he looks to press full court a lot, given the numbers this year.

3. Seeing whether he looks real grumpy on the bench like he did for much of last season, and making bets on which player he will have coach the team during a timeout.

4. Seeing whether he yells at someone like he yelled at Nika last season.

5. Are the Freshman three point shooters as good as advertised.

6. Sympathizing with Allen Bestwick and Meghan Culmo as they try to keep our interest during a 60 point blowout.

DePaul, Marquette and Seton Hall should make the NCAA Tournament but this will be yet another undefeated run through the Conference season and tournament for UConn.
As a retired Master Sergeant I did not see it that way. I saw someone who like myself instilling the way things will be done. You will do it my way or it's the highway. When I had soldiers that were not adapting to the way of life and times in the Army, I gave them a choice, you conform or you are out. After the riot act was read, then the soldier was given a chance to adhere to Army life and its rigors.

In the first 4 years of my enlistment I had a SFC help set me straight and change my life in the Army and retired after 24 years of service. In my last 10 as a SFC and MSG I also had soldier's that needed a stern talking too and were given a chance to conform. There were only 4 soldiers that didn't conform to the standards that were set and were discharged from the service. Unfortunately much of today's Military has become PC except for the elite, such as SEALS, Delta Force, Ranger's and other special forces.

Did the confrontation with Geno make Nika cry, yes but I bet if you asked Nika why her play changed after that talking too by Geno. She would say that she saw the light bulb come on and realized what it was that Geno wanted from her and what she needed to do to get there.

Reaction Score
Interested to see how the trio of Espinoza-Hunter, Park-Lane, and Cooks at Seton Hall. They also added a couple other transfers who should be able to contribute.

Keira Collier, Tekia Mack, and Aneesah Morrow should definitely be able to help get DePaul back to the tournament with everyone else they have back. Saw Morrow play a couple times and she’s a top-50 caliber recruit, if not better.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Just pondering the state of the rest of the Big East.
Last season, UCONN pretty much went through the conference like they were playing junior high school teams. Nobody else had a comparable starting 5 or had anyone like Aubrey or Ayleah coming off the bench.
I will say that here and there you could find some talented & motivated individual players that could give anyone some trouble.
I admit that I might be excluding people who had great success in games against other opponents (Maddie Seagrist, Serena Lott, for instance)
Please excuse any spelling errors
Temmy Carda-Creighton
Laura Van Klunnen-Marquette
Lauren Park-Lane-Seton Hall (Jeez! Everything she through up seemed to go in!)
There were a few others, as I'm sure will be pointed out.
With the additional COVID year of eligibility, I'm wondering which of THEIR seniors will be back. Also, how did teams like Marqutte and DePaul do with their recruitment?
By all measurable standards, the Huskies will be sending a stronger, deeper and more experienced ( except for the 4 newbies) team out on the court this year. I'm not even including intangibles, although I'm sure they will be a factor.
Realistically, it's hard to come up with a scenario where any UCONN VS BE game will continue to be competitive after the 3rd quarter, but there will be 20 of them besides the BE Tournament. I imagine most of the BY will be making every effort to watch most or all of them.
Our biggest challenges will, no doubt, become evident in the NC games, but the BE schedule will, no doubt, allow Geno to get a bunch of answers to questions he has.
What would Paige and Azzi look like on the floor together? Would Liv, Dorka and Ayleah be able to create a consistant rotating low/high post combo that would open up the floor for the guards, and box out under the basket?
How far along have Mir, Piath, & Saylor come?Enough to expand Geno's stingy rotation?
Will Aubrey be able to translate her explosiveness to an increased # of minutes?
Will a healthy Nika be able to shoot & facilitate enough to keep her defensive prowess relevant?
Will CW continue the kind of play she showed toward the end of the year?
Which Liv will show up?
And, of course Caroline & Amari...
Yes except the statement about games against BE teams not being competitive after the third quarter. Based on last years results and our expected jump in talent returning or new it's hard not to believe the games will be runaways after the first quarter. Many were last year, the Husky's will be shooting the Nike or Wilson or what ever ball they play with fast and furiously. :cool:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
As a retired Master Sergeant I did not see it that way. I saw someone who like myself instilling the way things will be done. You will do it my way or it's the highway. When I had soldiers that were not adapting to the way of life and times in the Army, I gave them a choice, you conform or you are out. After the riot act was read, then the soldier was given a chance to adhere to Army life and its rigors.

In the first 4 years of my enlistment I had a SFC help set me straight and change my life in the Army and retired after 24 years of service. In my last 10 as a SFC and MSG I also had soldier's that needed a stern talking too and were given a chance to conform. There were only 4 soldiers that didn't conform to the standards that were set and were discharged from the service. Unfortunately much of today's Military has become PC except for the elite, such as SEALS, Delta Force, Ranger's and other special forces.

Did the confrontation with Geno make Nika cry, yes but I bet if you asked Nika why her play changed after that talking too by Geno. She would say that she saw the light bulb come on and realized what it was that Geno wanted from her and what she needed to do to get there.
MSGRET -

First of all, thank you for your service. You sound like a real leader. We could use you now.

My comment that you highlighted was a breezy, tongue in cheek, half attempt at humor. I did not mean to suggest that the incident - Geno chewing out Nika - was unwarranted, although I can understand that my comment could have been so interpreted. And you are correct, Nika was a much better player after that.

I did not serve in the military but had a number of coaches at various levels who embarrassed me, and in at least one case ten times worse than what Nika faced. Old school. I didn`t like it but I also didn`t crumble and became a better player as a result.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
MSGRET -

First of all, thank you for your service. You sound like a real leader. We could use you now.

My comment that you highlighted was a breezy, tongue in cheek, half attempt at humor. I did not mean to suggest that the incident - Geno chewing out Nika - was unwarranted, although I can understand that my comment could have been so interpreted. And you are correct, Nika was a much better player after that.

I did not serve in the military but had a number of coaches at various levels who embarrassed me, and in at least one case ten times worse than what Nika faced. Old school. I didn`t like it but I also didn`t crumble and became a better player as a result.
I did read it wrong since there was a lack of an emoji:rolleyes: and maybe I should have asked for a clarification before the third degree, I guess I'm kinda Head bang when comes to defending not only the young ladies, but also the coaches.

Reaction Score
The biggest question I have for the 20 plus BE GAMES is what do I watch after 10 minutes go by.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There were a couple big east games last season that were stinkers, or closer than expected. Seton Hall and Georgetown, 20 point victories in one meeting, and Marquette, a 10 point win, in another. Yes we stomped Marquette in the BET, but it wasn't all puppies and kittens during the season.

But this is a new year. I'm interested to see how other teams fared after Covid - how many seniors left teams? Did some really good players come back for another year? There may be some fans who know all that stuff now, but i suspect we will know a bit more after the early BE coaches poll etc.

The BE is not as dreadful as the AAC, but it's simply not a strong conference by any stretch. We certainly should be hoping that Marquette, Seton Hall, and DePaul all make the Big Dance and do well OOC in the first half of the year.

I have to be honest - I will have little patience, tho, for people who are like "Blowouts are unwatchable". My answer - then go be a fan of Providence or Xavier. I, for one, not only CAN'T WAIT for blowouts, I will watch with eager anticipation as to how Geno manages minutes, who subs for whom, how many minutes they earn, how they look, and how productive they are.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The rest of the game to include the halftime show, unless it's ESPN. Then go make a sandwich and get a beer during the halftime show instead of listening to Andy Landers.;)
Halftime is when Rebecca will be making the Paige / Diana Comparisons.

Reaction Score
The rest of the game to include the halftime show, unless it's ESPN. Then go make a sandwich and get a beer during the halftime show instead of listening to Andy Landers.;)
What color will Andy Landers' hair be this season? Will he continue with the touch of grey he had last season? Or will he go back to the jet black hair of two years ago?

Reaction Score
Yes except the statement about games against BE teams not being competitive after the third quarter. Based on last years results and our expected jump in talent returning or new it's hard not to believe the games will be runaways after the first quarter. Many were last year, the Husky's will be shooting the Nike or Wilson or what ever ball they play with fast and furiously. :cool:
I agree, but if the team looks beyond the BE they've learned nothing from the Arizona game. They need to take every game seriously, step on their throats, and keep their foot there.

Reaction Score
MSGRET -

Every coach has their own specific style. Whether that style is effective is reflected in their record. Now days players are not locked into a team for life. Geno has his way of doing things. We may or may not agree with how he does thngs but we are not the coach and he is. If players do not thrive under his system they can transfer out.

I have coached various sports team, though not at such a high level, and my style was diametricablly opposed to Geno's and various other successful coaches. I would, however, not ever promote any style as being the only way to coach. That seems to have been the direction of many basketball fans. Not every coach has the same personality and what works for one person will not work for another. There are enough college teams for players to choose from so that they will not get locked into a syle that they do not approve of or enable them to succeed in.

It appears that some people only promote the principle of diversty if it works in favor of their own beliefs. Well there is space for diversity in coaching as well. Let it play itself out and the results will make the decision as to which style is better. Not allowing this deprives people of choice and isn't choice the underlying reason for the promotion of diversity. People seem to have lost that concept and have morphed it into a diversty for the sake of diverstiy philosophy. Diverstiy is the means with freedom of choice being the true objective and ends.

Reaction Score
1631963878025.png

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'll be just happy when the starting times go back to 7. My wife got pissed off with me when I told her dinner would have to happen after the game if we didn't eat by 6:00.

Reaction Score
The Big East and Blow Out games are a big challenge for Geno. If these young people become complacent, they will think that their talent alone can win he big games which are outside the conference or in the tournament. For Geno, the challenge is to get the players to play with the highest level of intensity in every game regardless of team. That has proven to be the method of success that has achieved National Championships.

Everyone has seen Geno sit down players who let up during games. As the Master Sargeant said, if you let up you're dead.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The Big East and Blow Out games are a big challenge for Geno. If these young people become complacent, they will think that their talent alone can win he big games which are outside the conference or in the tournament. For Geno, the challenge is to get the players to play with the highest level of intensity in every game regardless of team. That has proven to be the method of success that has achieved National Championships.

Everyone has seen Geno sit down players who let up during games. As the Master Sargeant said, if you let up you're dead.
I don't see any danger of complacency regardless of schedule after how last year ended. Also helps when your team has so much quality depth at every position that they are fighting tooth and nail for minutes (except our Point God :)).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom