Big East Regular season champs or tourney champs? | The Boneyard

Big East Regular season champs or tourney champs?

Would you rather be Big East regular season champs or Big East tourney champs?

• Big East regular season champions

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Big East tournament champions

Votes: 45 77.6%

• Total voters

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
I was watching the women's game yesterday after the men's game and the commentator was saying how Geno and the team really value their regular season championships more than the conference tournament championships, due to the body of work, etc. I like the thought of being regular season champs but think I would prefer hoisting up a trophy at the end of the conference tourney.

Reaction Score
I was watching the women's game yesterday after the men's game and the commentator was saying how Geno and the team really value their regular season championships more than the conference tournament championships, due to the body of work, etc. I like the thought of being regular season champs but think I would prefer hoisting up a trophy at the end of the conference tourney.

On the men's side, historically, the BET champ was the conference champ. It would say so on the trophy and on the banner. The regular season champions were called the "regular season champions" whereas the BET winner was known as the "Big East Champion."

I don't know if anything has changed.

I would say that for this year (because of the uneven schedule) it's better to be BET champion.

Reaction Score
You can look at this a couple different ways. If you finish first in your league, obviously you had a great season, won a lot of games, beat good teams, and are headed to the NCAA Tournament. Winning the conference tournament guarantees you a trip to the NCAA Tournament regardless of what happened during the regular season. Winning the Big East Tournament has always been a prestigious accomplishment, and in the past, It has really helped with seeding. If you look back at 2002, I believe we were ranked 24th heading into the BET, after winning it that year, we ended up as a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament. That was a huge boost. Also, looking back at 2011 when we were ranked around 20 heading into the BET, then after winning 5 games in 5 days beating really good teams, we earned a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

The other side of that argument is 2006, and 2009. In 2006, we had a great regular season, finished first in the Big East, lost our first game In the BET, and we still were a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. The same thing essentially happened in 2009, although we finished 2nd or 3rd in the regular season, but still were a 1 seed in the NCAA. In a season like we are having now, I think winning the Big East Tournament would be important because it would guarantee a trip to the tournament, and It would help with our seeding.

Reaction Score
2011 and 2014 are skewing people's votes i'm sure, but being regular season champs or even runners up is a more accurate barometer of how good a team is

if you win the BE regular season, odds are you were a top 5 team all year and will get a 1 or 2 seed in the big dance

for instance, the 06 regular season champs or 09 runners up, would have wiped the floor with the 2016 tourney champs in particular. what good is getting an autobid but losing in the first round?

heck i think 06 and 09 were better teams than 11 and 14 as well just not as lucky

imo 11 and 14 were very frustrating regular seasons and werent nearly as fulfilling as 99 and 04. let me bask in the season long dominance capped off by a chip, not just the march madness that i couldnt believe was happening

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's been a minute since we were either so today I voted tourney -champs because we still have a shot to win that this season.

Reaction Score
I selected tourney champs- guaranteed NCAA tournament appearance and a whole lot of momentum going into the tourney. Think of 2011.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'd rather be both, but just like virtually every other sports league with a tournament ending season, regular season champion only means a 1 seed.

The Tournament Champ gets the auto bid and the title.

Reaction Score
Winning the tourney, regardless of the regular season psn, means the guys are playing on. And it also means they are playing at a championship level at the right time.

Reaction Score
Winning and hoisting the trophy at The Mecca. No other conference tourney like it.

msg.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom