Big East Media Deal vs. Other Power Conferences' Media Deals | The Boneyard

Big East Media Deal vs. Other Power Conferences' Media Deals

Reaction Score
I can't figure the amounts in the chart's revenue distributions...I think it makes more sense to compare yearly revenue payouts....because of different contract periods.

Example...$17 million per team listed as ACC...yet 2022-23 revenue distribution was almost $45 million per team..

"The ACC generated a record $706.6 million in gross revenue in 2022-23, distributing an average of $44.8 million to its 14 football-playing members."

Most conferences values are listed starting in contracts beginning in 2023, 2024, and for the BE, 2025. The ACC's contract is listed as beginning 2015. The ACC revenue distribution for 2015-16 was $23.8 million. Per school payout increased $20 million per school in seven years.

Just noodling

Reaction Score
If you compare total revenue payouts you end up throwing in tournament credits plus football playoff and bowl distributions. Since they’re specifically trying to compare tv deals to assess the new Big East deal that has to be omitted.

Ultimately it reads like a conference PR piece trying to prove to fans the Big East did well with this deal (it did), after much higher numbers were leaked (essentially hey UConn (fans) look no further, the Big East got you a big payday; knowing that, the payday would’ve been crushed without the Huskies).

Reaction Score
I can't figure the amounts in the chart's revenue distributions...I think it makes more sense to compare yearly revenue payouts....because of different contract periods.

Example...$17 million per team listed as ACC...yet 2022-23 revenue distribution was almost $45 million per team..

"The ACC generated a record $706.6 million in gross revenue in 2022-23, distributing an average of $44.8 million to its 14 football-playing members."

Most conferences values are listed starting in contracts beginning in 2023, 2024, and for the BE, 2025. The ACC's contract is listed as beginning 2015. The ACC revenue distribution for 2015-16 was $23.8 million. Per school payout increased $20 million per school in seven years.

Just noodling
Also, I don't think it includes money from the ACC Network.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If you compare total revenue payouts you end up throwing in tournament credits plus football playoff and bowl distributions. Since they’re specifically trying to compare tv deals to assess the new Big East deal that has to be omitted.

Ultimately it reads like a conference PR piece trying to prove to fans the Big East did well with this deal (it did), after much higher numbers were leaked (essentially hey UConn (fans) look no further, the Big East got you a big payday; knowing that, the payday would’ve been crushed without the Huskies).

We are not in the Big 10. We get it.

Reaction Score
Quite different than the $3M/year Paint Touches outlined in their article.
That's probably why Brian Murphy tweeted it the same day as the Paint Touches article. In fairness to the Paint Touches article, he was just comparing media contracts.

Reaction Score
Quite different than the $3M/year Paint Touches outlined in their article.
According to most other sources ND now gets $17 million from the ACC media deal. Excluding stuff like tournament credits.

Reaction Score
Sounds like it was written by a League spokesman to show what a great job they did. All nonsense. Took one Big 10 team and assumed it was the model for 4 leagues. It is highly possible that Michigan State IS reflective of the Big10. But Notre Dame attributes 30% of its ACC media deal to basketball which could very well be reasonable for the ACC, a more basketball-centric league with multiple blue blood members and several next tier programs.The B 12 might well be somewhere in the middle, 25% perhaps. In that case it is a sad deal. As my high school math teacher used to say, figures don’t lie but liars sure figure. Without much more research and analysis, hard to say this is a good or a bad deal. But then, consider even if correct, Rutgers and Vanderbilt earn way more than UConn. From Basketball!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom