Big East conference play record predictions | The Boneyard

Big East conference play record predictions

What will UConn's conference record be at the end of the regular season?

• 20-0

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 19-1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 18-2

• 17-3

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 16-4

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • 15-5

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • 14-6

Votes: 47 37.9%
  • 13-7

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • 12-8

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • 11-9

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 10-10

• 9-11

• 8-12

• 7 or fewer wins

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
As a follow up to my very popular non-con record prediction poll, I present you with the conference play version! All are welcome to participate, even casual fans.

Reaction Score
I immediately regret not displaying voters' handles, showing who voted for what. Apparently I can't change it either.

'Fess up! Who voted 20-0?!

Edit: And who picked 7 or fewer??!!

Reaction Score
I picked 7 losses. I think 6 losses wins the league. After watching Marquette, Seton Hall, Xavier, Nova, Creighton, and ourselves, I think every team will have their hands full with the others. Depaul is playing well, Butler can have a good game, and so can St Johns, Georgetown, and Providence. Although none of these last teams seem consistent enough to vie at the top, they can play a game and come out on top with any team that doesn't bring their B+ game. I don't think there is a single game that is a 'lock' for any team versus any other.

Reaction Score
14-6 seems like a solid, right-down-the-middle prediction, similar to the correct 9-2 pick that 40% of us made for non-con.

in previous years, 6 losses was good for second or even third in the league. maybe there is more parity this year if nova doesn't emerge as the juggernaut many (including myself) imagined, but we shall see.

Reaction Score
I picked 7 losses. I think 6 losses wins the league. After watching Marquette, Seton Hall, Xavier, Nova, Creighton, and ourselves, I think every team will have their hands full with the others. Depaul is playing well, Butler can have a good game, and so can St Johns, Georgetown, and Providence. Although none of these last teams seem consistent enough to vie at the top, they can play a game and come out on top with any team that doesn't bring their B+ game. I don't think there is a single game that is a 'lock' for any team versus any other.
Road wins are going to be golden
So holding serve at home is critical.
Hold serve win a few winnable road games and your right in the hunt

Reaction Score

I said 7 losses as well. We're gonna be in dog fights with Nova, Seton Hall, X... Providence, Creighton, SJU can all beat anyone on the right night. Those away games will all be tough. And we're due for a clunker at some point if we have a disastrous shooting night again.

Agree 6 losses wins the league probably... the NBE is tough this year. Nova isn't untouchable. 6 bid league IMO.

Reaction Score
i said we'd finish around 21-10 so that means i'm sticking w/ 12-8 which still could be good for 2nd or 3rd in conference. i've been high on Hall since the summer and now think they'll win the conference if they stay healthy. we'll be battling it out w/ nova and xavier for 2-4.

xclamations

Best nicknamer, conference realignment historian
Reaction Score
I think we're really good like...
2009 cards stadium elite 8 good (I was there )
Don't want to get too arrogant here but i think
16-4 would be great and realistic if we stay healthy enough

Reaction Score
We had 6 losses last year without playing the full 20 games. Based off of what I’ve seen so far, I think the league is significantly better this year. Having fans at away games will also make things different. On the other hand I think this year’s team has a chance to better than last year. Voted 13-7

Reaction Score
I think we have a legitimate shot at 15-5. But most likely end up 13-7 +/- 1.

Reaction Score
I was on the fence. Somewhere in the 4 to 6 losses range. I should of voted for 5 losses, but was feeling optimistic. Ended up voting for 4.

Reaction Score
I think we have a legitimate shot at 15-5. But most likely end up 13-7 +/- 1.
That's pretty much exactly where I have them. Went through the schedule and came out with 15-5 if we're healthy but there's bound to be another injury and or a wtf game.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I’m sure we will win a few good ones (@ Hall and/or @ nova), drop a few tough ones on the road (@ X and/or @ Creighton), lose a heart breaker at home (Hall or Nova) and lose a head scratcher or two at home (St John’s and/or Butler).

When it all comes out in the wash, I think it’s 14-6 and top 3 in the league. Upside from there if we can sweep Hall, Xavier and/or Nova.

Reaction Score
13-7 seems like a best case scenario; tight schedule with likely injuries and absences due to COVID (looking at NBA, NFL, NHL as parallels for the breakout right now). That should probably give us a 5 seed which I would sign up for right now

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I said 7 losses as well. We're gonna be in dog fights with Nova, Seton Hall, X... Providence, Creighton, SJU can all beat anyone on the right night. Those away games will all be tough. And we're due for a clunker at some point if we have a disastrous shooting night again.

Agree 6 losses wins the league probably... the NBE is tough this year. Nova isn't untouchable. 6 bid league IMO.
@superjohn's FTFY that changed NBE to Big East (for the purpose of this thread, no opinion implied) led me to curiosity about how many bids will be earned by former Big East basketball members:

Syracuse
Pitt
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Notre Dame
Miami
Boston College University
West Virginia
Rutgers
Cincinnati
South Florida

As conference play begins, I'd say 3 or 4. That, of course, could change, and still add up to fewer teams than from the current Big East.

I don't have a prediction for our conference record, because I find that it interferes with my shameless boosterism, but I'm quite mindful that only 7 or fewer losses would allow the team to finish the season with fewer than 10 TOTAL losses, unless we win either the BET or NC.

I marvel that for so many years I came to routinely think of seasons in terms of Sweet 16 as a minimum and 9 or fewer losses as a maximum.

It's humbling and exciting to recontemplate the possibility of such metrics, in addition to Top 25 rankings after many years of thinking in terms of Top 10.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Nova looked surprisingly bad in the Baylor game. They held their own defensively but yikes 15 points in the first half?

Reaction Score
I picked 12-8. Big East is much deeper than I originally thought and we haven’t had a proven drill sergeant outside of Cole. If he went down (heaven forbid) we could face a tough stretch of games. Getting Diggins more minutes would have helped this. I’m pessimistic but realistic. If we are healthy 75% of the games we should win 13-16 games by depth, talent and readiness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom