Big East cancelling fall sports | The Boneyard

Big East cancelling fall sports

Reaction Score
Just continuing to try and buy time. I get it but they should already be focusing all of their attention on playing fall sports in spring and how to coordinate that. There are not going to be fall sports.
I agree but my worry is that there will be fall sports and they will be a mess. The only league games makes zero sense. It is nothing more than pr prattle. UConn for example would be much better off playing Hartford, Central, UMass and some of the New York schools than traveling to Creighton or DePaul even Villanova or similar places.

Reaction Score
I agree but my worry is that there will be fall sports and they will be a mess. The only league games makes zero sense. It is nothing more than pr prattle. UConn for example would be much better off playing Hartford, Central, UMass and some of the New York schools than traveling to Creighton or DePaul even Villanova or similar places.

I look at it as they are just buying time until the last possible second before they cancel. I don’t see how it can safely be done so I am more concerned by giving these student athletes the ability to compete in the spring. That’s where the focus needs to be. Everyone is just delaying the inevitable.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The same goes for Cuse or BC playing Miami, in anything. It's literally not worth the risk. The idea behind the conference-only schedule in football really just a money grab. Even if it's safer for OSU to play OU or Toledo, the TV contracts prefer Rutgers and Nebraska.

I feel like we need a come to Jesus moment so we can just cancel the fall and plan for the spring (and maybe winter).

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

The reason for the league-only idea is that the only way you can get universal testing standards is league-wide. There's no mechanism for getting CCSU and UConn on the same testing protocol since the NCAA will never be able to convince/make it affordable for non-P5 schools to spend what the P5 want to spend for testing.

Nobody's playing, but that's why they announce league only.

Reaction Score
IMHO no games should be played until a viable vaccine is available to the athletes. The pecking order for any vaccine had better start with medical personnel, first responders, elderly, high risk and immuno suppressed individuals. Did I forget anyone? Once production ramps up, then the athletes can be addressed.

Reaction Score
The reason for the league-only idea is that the only way you can get universal testing standards is league-wide. There's no mechanism for getting CCSU and UConn on the same testing protocol since the NCAA will never be able to convince/make it affordable for non-P5 schools to spend what the P5 want to spend for testing.

Possibly, but since both are Connecticut public universities, the State government should be able to establish common protocols that would allow the two schools to play football, soccer, and volleyball games in-state.

I do agree your scenario makes more sense for any potential UConn-Middle Tennessee match-ups

Reaction Score

Yeah but it’s utter hogwash. The testing and other protocols the NCAA and P5 announced amount to nothing... maybe worse since they really should quarantine a large chunk of a team If they have positives not just the guys who test positive. And maybe the opponent too.And it’s actually NOT about universal testing. It is so you can play 10 games in 14 weeks so if you have an outbreak at say Ohio State after week 1 they can reschedule week 2 for later innthevseason

Reaction Score
Yes it sucks that the UConn season is falling apart but, I find the absolute statements that there will be no college football this fall to be nothing more than wishful thinking. If UConn was in one of the P5 conferences, and was in line to lose $30+MM, I'm sure the prevailing BY sentiment would be very different.

The P5 have WAY TOO MUCH MONEY at stake to not at least attempt it.

Sure there is a chance the season starts and has to be stopped. There may be individual conferences or even one off schools that start and then shut it down.

That doesn't mean that it's not going to happen.

Is it a money grab? Of course it is! What makes this any different than anything else the P5 have done?

Hopefully Benedict is trying to put/keep a schedule in place.

Reaction Score
IMHO no games should be played until a viable vaccine is available to the athletes. The pecking order for any vaccine had better start with medical personnel, first responders, elderly, high risk and immuno suppressed individuals. Did I forget anyone? Once production ramps up, then the athletes can be addressed.
They've been working on a vaccine for SARS for at least around 15 years now. Cases were downtrending till some states reopened.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Based on this logic when HIV was thought to be spread by a handshake or a kiss back in the 80s, we would still not have any sports...since we still don’t have a vaccine for HIV 35+ years later. Silly logic.

Reaction Score
Based on this logic when HIV was thought to be spread by a handshake or a kiss back in the 80s, we would still not have any sports...since we still don’t have a vaccine for HIV 35+ years later. Silly logic.
Silly example, and not even close to what we know is happening with Covid-19, compared with HIV/Aids and where it was spreading, but ok.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom