Big East Basketball 2022-23 Preview from 247Sports | The Boneyard

Big East Basketball 2022-23 Preview from 247Sports

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
They actually appear to have UConn picked 2nd.
Xavier is a weird way to spell "UConn" in the 4th spot...

Jokes aside, I'm glad that they didn't mention Andre Curbelo as a impact transfer. I'm sick of the media slobbering all over him. He is not good. He shot 33% from the floor last year (17.6% from 3). Almost a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio. Everyone acts like he's going to waltz in and be a top player in the league. How do you only average 3 apg when you have a top 3 big man in the country to throw the ball down to?

I'm glad our transfers are under the radar. It's been like that all offseason. Good. People will know who they are soon enough.

Reaction Score
Picked 4th. Sanogo and Karaban write ups. Surprised none of our transfers are mentioned as one of the "Impact Transfers".

I think the difference is that a lot of the other transfers are going to be stepping into much bigger roles. Still a little surprised they didn't mention Newton, but he'll be at best the 4th option in the starting lineup so could see the case for some of the other guys mentioned having more of an impact

Reaction Score
I think the difference is that a lot of the other transfers are going to be stepping into much bigger roles. Still a little surprised they didn't mention Newton, but he'll be at best the 4th option in the starting lineup so could see the case for some of the other guys mentioned having more of an impact
At best 4th option?? He should be taking more shots than Jackson and whoever ends up starting at the 4.

Reaction Score
They actually appear to have UConn picked 2nd.
Ah, didn't even see that on the bottom. Thanks.

Was going off this sentence:
Today, we focus on the Big East where Creighton has been projected to win the league with Xavier, Villanova and UConn following in behind the Blue Jays.

Reaction Score
I think there is a decent chance he ends up being an option on par with hawkins, if you look at numbers, there is a highly efficient 13 ppg scorer in there

Reaction Score
I mean, we have a glaring hole at PG, unless you're fully in the AJ as PG camp.

If nothing else, we certainly need a slasher like Newton has shown to be. I'd also say 4th option at best is harsh, I'd imagine he's more of a go to scorer than AJ.

Reaction Score
At best 4th option?? He should be taking more shots than Jackson and whoever ends up starting at the 4.

If nothing else, we certainly need a slasher like Newton has shown to be. I'd also say 4th option at best is harsh, I'd imagine he's more of a go to scorer than AJ.
Debated saying 3rd option, but it's really just splitting hairs. Not meant as a knock against Newton who I think is going to be really good. I just think he's coming into a team where Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson are established as the top players so he's not gonna be asked to do as much as some other transfers

I would expect Jackson to be a better all around player but Newton to take more shots. So call him the 3rd option and Jackson 4th if it makes you feel better

Reaction Score

Not meaning any ill will to Andre, but any D1 basketball player that scores nearly 19 per game can fill it up. Keep in mind, as the go-to scorer on the E Carolina team, his opponents game plan was to stop him.

I suspect that what you hear about his unimpressive practice will be quickly fogotten when the lights come on.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I'm not entirely sure about how much stock to put in this, as they stated that Kalbrenner is the "reigning Big East Player of the year". Did they do any research at all? That's just blatantly false.

Reaction Score
Xavier is a weird way to spell "UConn" in the 4th spot...

Jokes aside, I'm glad that they didn't mention Andre Curbelo as a impact transfer. I'm sick of the media slobbering all over him. He is not good. He shot 33% from the floor last year (17.6% from 3). Almost a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio. Everyone acts like he's going to waltz in and be a top player in the league. How do you only average 3 apg when you have a top 3 big man in the country to throw the ball down to?

I'm glad our transfers are under the radar. It's been like that all offseason. Good. People will know who they are soon enough.
You might be right on Curbelo , we'll see. His stats were better across the board minus 3pt percentage his first year. 3 serious concussions ( 2 documented and 1 other during practice that he fought through) could be responsible for this. Word is that he was ( fuzzy) most of last season.

Reaction Score
Debated saying 3rd option, but it's really just splitting hairs. Not meant as a knock against Newton who I think is going to be really good. I just think he's coming into a team where Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson are established as the top players so he's not gonna be asked to do as much as some other transfers

I would expect Jackson to be a better all around player but Newton to take more shots. So call him the 3rd option and Jackson 4th if it makes you feel better
All around player sure, Andre can be absolutely lockdown, but offensively, Newton is way ahead. Andre is probably a better and more flashy passer, but he also takes more risks. Newton is better on al 3 levels scoring wise. I want to see Andre slash a lot more than he has, and I expect with that he'll score more and find more assists.

Reaction Score

I think 3rd option is about right. AJ's impact on the team this year will be tremendous, but most of that elite impact will come in pretty much everything except scoring, as was the case last year. Because of that plus, Newton's track record of being a volume scorer puts him ahead of Andre when it comes to scoring IMO. That being said, if AJ is the third option, that is a VERY good sign, and probably means he's a much more versatile offensive threat.

Reaction Score
I'm not entirely sure about how much stock to put in this, as they stated that Kalbrenner is the "reigning Big East Player of the year". Did they do any research at all? That's just blatantly false.
Wow, that is pretty bad. He was the defensive POY.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

I mean starting point guard for UConn ( a top 4 BE preseason pick) on a team that doesn't have one would mean "much bigger role" no?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't get this. Newton was one of the best PG on the transfer market, and is a great fit with his size. He's a PG. Averaged 5 APG. Diarra is evidently a pretty good PG too. I see it as a position of strength.

Glad to see somebody projecting UConn as #2, as I would.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Wow, that is pretty bad. He was the defensive POY.
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. Weird how they mentioned it when talking about his offensive stats, that's why it didn't even cross my mind.

Reaction Score
I don't get this. Newton was one of the best PG on the transfer market, and is a great fit with his size. He's a PG. Averaged 5 APG. Diarra is evidently a pretty good PG too. I see it as a position of strength.

Glad to see somebody projecting UConn as #2, as I would.
I meant the glaring hole without Cole, I am higher than most, it seems, on Newton.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I meant the glaring hole without Cole, I am higher than most, it seems, on Newton.
Cole was a scrappy defender, but too short to allow us to switch on D. So we used the hard hedge too often. Cole was a good player, but Newton is likely a better fit for the roster.

On offense Newton averaged more points than Cole did. Both of them played on a team that put too much on them. This team shouldn't need as much scoring from the PG position. Newton was more efficient overall, both about the same from 3pt. That suggests that Newton will be better going to the rim, which is logical given their size. Newton had too many TOs, and he will need to tighten that up.

I'm not worried about replacing Cole.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom