Big East Backfill If 4 Schools Go To Big 12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Backfill If 4 Schools Go To Big 12

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Can someone explain how a 30 sport Georgetown program fits in with BYU, Texas Tech, and Iowa State? Are any of them going to throw Georgetown a bone and play them in football?

Answer to both: Not happening.

Don’t encourage them.

These dimwits pop out dopey scenarios like they’re laying hens.

My favorite is when one of them comes up with something idiotic and then the rest of them carry that forward because “it’s a reported rumor” without realizing that it was just some bit of stupidity that flashed into existence here and only exists here.

Reaction Score
Mostly because I’m bored at work- hypothetical situation with UConn, SJU, Villanova, Georgetown moving to the B12. How would the Big East backfill?

Get to 10:

St. Louis
Loyola Chicago
Fordham (?)

Get to 12

Previous 3 +
St. Joe’s?
Fairfield?

Get to 16

Previous 5 +

Detroit?
Holy Cross?
VCU?
Richmond?

Mostly Jesuit schools sans VCU and Richmond. Options aren’t great though. Maybe they’d grab a Dayton, Wichita, etc before most of these religious schools. Just wild to see how barren it gets past getting back to 10 schools. I don’t think Gonzaga would have interest in joining the league if those four schools left either.
Why would the Big12 add non football playing universities? The Big 12 is not going invite SJU and Georgetown and unless Nova upgrade fb, I doubt they'd be invited.

Now, would I like to see Nova, GU, SJU and us in the Big12? Yes, since it would be fun Kansas FB and basketball every year? OSU, TT, too...

What a dream...

Reaction Score
It’s a Catholic Conference - Saint Joes, Holy Cross, Bonnies, Dayton, Fordham, Iona are your usual suspects

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why would the Big12 add non football playing universities? The Big 12 is not going invite SJU and Georgetown and unless Nova upgrade fb, I doubt they'd be invited.

Now, would I like to see Nova, GU, SJU and us in the Big12? Yes, since it would be fun Kansas FB and basketball every year? OSU, TT, too...

What a dream...
They won't. They wouldn't have even before the Pac imploded, but they certainly aren't going to now when they can savage the carcass of the Pac. Imagine thinking they'd take Gonzaga over Arizona, Colorado or Cal. Imagine thinking an east coast basketball school would hold any appeal at all. Those schools don't even schedule Creighton, who is local.

UConn is the only Big East team with even a slight chance, and I still think they'd favor the Pac schools over us.

Reaction Score
They won't. They wouldn't have even before the Pac imploded, but they certainly aren't going to now when they can savage the carcass of the Pac. Imagine thinking they'd take Gonzaga over Arizona, Colorado or Cal. Imagine thinking an east coast basketball school would hold any appeal at all. Those schools don't even schedule Creighton, who is local.

UConn is the only Big East team with even a slight chance, and I still think they'd favor the Pac schools over us.
Just a couple of thoughts: Cal has made it clear they want to stay in the PAC. The Big12 is looking into separating their basketball tv deal from their football tv deal, so not farfetched for them to want east coast basketball brands.

Reaction Score

Now, would I like to see Nova, GU, SJU and us in the Big12?
Yep, this is the type mongrel conference make-up that created most of Uconn's problems to begin with. That's why it sounded crazy when the Yormack rumor on Gonzaga came out. East coast hoops stronghold faction for the Big 12 ? He needs to be careful or he'll und up like Aresco when the only things he's been good at is collecting exit fees to pay his salary and creating fake slogans to keep his members pacified. ;)

Reaction Score
Just a couple of thoughts: Cal has made it clear they want to stay in the PAC. The Big12 is looking into separating their basketball tv deal from their football tv deal, so not farfetched for them to want east coast basketball brands.
While the B12 Commish may be talking out loud about finding a way to split football & basketball revenue, the conference just signed a deal for BOTH football and basketball that runs thru 2031.

Reaction Score
While the B12 Commish may be talking out loud about finding a way to split football & basketball revenue, the conference just signed a deal for BOTH football and basketball that runs thru 2031.

That was the point. He and Baylor AD Mack Rhoades as recently as a day or so ago said that these plans are for the 2031 contract negotiations not now. Mack Rhoades just said in an interview with 365sports that all moves made now are geared for 2031.

Reaction Score
That was the point. He and Baylor AD Mack Rhoades as recently as a day or so ago said that these plans are for the 2031 contract negotiations not now. Mack Rhoades just said in an interview with 365sports that all moves made now are geared for 2031.
Yes and at least it shows Yormark is thinking that far ahead of the current situation. I haven't seen the actual deal they just signed so don't know either way if it does or doesn't have a re-do/recalc clause to allow for this sort of change?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I need some help. Who or what is NEWBIE?
NBE = new big east (the remnants of the catholic schools that left the football schools and took the big name with them)

Newbie = an inexperienced newcomer

I'm assuming it's a play on words, NEWBIE.

But also, I hate that I'm posting in this thread, because if UConn leaves the big east for a power conference I will never look back and have zero fs to care about who the big east adds.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If UConn is invited to the Big 12 or the ACC or the Big 10 I won’t even look to see who the NEWBIE adds
And yet you opened, read, and posted in this thread.

Season 5 Idk GIF by NBC

Reaction Score
NBE = new big east (the remnants of the catholic schools that left the football schools and took the big name with them)

Newbie = an inexperienced newcomer

I'm assuming it's a play on words, NEWBIE.

But also, I hate that I'm posting in this thread, because if UConn leaves the big east for a power conference I will never look back and have zero fs to care about who the big east adds.
Steve Carell Comedy GIF by filmeditor

Reaction Score
It's a lame nickname freescooter and couple other posters use for The Big East.
The New Big East. The Big East ceased to exist at the end of the 2013 academic year. It’s records technically belong to the American. The New Big East bought the name. Sort of like the New Black Eagle Jazz Band, though they had the decency to keep New in their name.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The New Big East. The Big East ceased to exist at the end of the 2013 academic year. It’s records technically belong to the American. The New Big East bought the name. Sort of like the New Black Eagle Jazz Band, though they had the decency to keep New in their name.
So, although I agree with you in theory, the new big east actually "bought the rights to the history" of the old big East. Yeah, Aresco is an ass hat.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry this horror happened to you but it did happen. It will always be a part of history.

I dare you to watch this 3 minute video...

Reaction Score
Mostly because I’m bored at work- hypothetical situation with UConn, SJU, Villanova, Georgetown moving to the B12. How would the Big East backfill?

Get to 10:

St. Louis
Loyola Chicago
Fordham (?)

Get to 12

Previous 3 +
St. Joe’s?
Fairfield?

Get to 16

Previous 5 +

Detroit?
Holy Cross?
VCU?
Richmond?

Mostly Jesuit schools sans VCU and Richmond. Options aren’t great though. Maybe they’d grab a Dayton, Wichita, etc before most of these religious schools. Just wild to see how barren it gets past getting back to 10 schools. I don’t think Gonzaga would have interest in joining the league if those four schools left either.
It would most likely be UConn and CCSU as a traveling partner plus they would grasp the whole state of CT from the NEC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom