Big East and Big 12 | The Boneyard

Big East and Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the Big East floating these rumors to enhance their national profile and make the conference seem more attractive.

They have nothing to lose by floating these rumors. If UConn heads to the Big 12, hey, they tried. If UConn Bball goes back to the Big East, they are so appealing they attracted a 4-time national champion.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Reaction Score
If UConn athletics go back to the Big East I will have written my last check to the UConn Athletic Development Fund. I will not support a athletic department that decided to get back into bed with the small catholic schools like PC, Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul and St Johns that decided to take their ball and leave after leeching off of schools like UConn for years...and instilling their will in some bad decisions that eventually hurt the BE.

Reaction Score
Am I losing my mind or is this Andy Katz/Mark Blads UConn football only to Big 12 and all other sports to Big East the dumbest thing in the 10 + year CR saga?

If it were only Blauds, I'd say yeah. But Katz has sources, someone in some position of authority - likely in the Big East - is feeding him this.

Reaction Score
Notice how the rumors indicate unilateral interest in that there is no report that UConn is in any talks with or demonstrating interest in the NBE. If there were, that would mean UConn to B12 football only had already happened. Egregiously misleading article title.

Reaction Score
If it were only Blauds, I'd say yeah. But Katz has sources, someone in some position of authority - likely in the Big East - is feeding him this.
Is it possible that UConn has been in contact with the NBE ,of course especially if we're going to a conference let's say for instance that doesn't support men soccer.
Men 's soccer is a big deal at UConn and I suspect the Big East would love to have it.
Was basketball discussed , sure it was you don't talk to that league without some conversation on BB ,but only from a friendly prospective .
How's your team ,whose the favorite for the title,etc. Maybe some discussion on future games. I have personal animosity towards that league but I'm the BY equivalent of Madame LaFarge

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You mean why would the Big 12 just want us for football.
Arguably because of all the upside we bring, brand recognition, the 20th largest media market, outstanding academics. Limiting our membership to football would take the sting out of travel.

That said, I think it is unlikely they would take us for our weakest major sport right now. After this season? Who know?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Guys, this is the Big 12 we're talking about. A group of presidents who couldn't agree what color the tablecloths and napkins in the Titanic's dining room should be.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
There's dumb, stupid, clueless, assinine, and worse than all of those, UConn to the B12 for football only.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If UConn athletics go back to the Big East I will have written my last check to the UConn Athletic Development Fund. I will not support a athletic department that decided to get back into bed with the small catholic schools like PC, Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul and St Johns that decided to take their ball and leave after leeching off of schools like UConn for years...and instilling their will in some bad decisions that eventually hurt the BE.

But you would crawl over broken glass to play in a league with WVU, or Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, BCU, and VTech, schools that actually stabbed UCONN in the back.

Reaction Score
Say Cincinnati and BYU are at the top of their wish list. Maybe it's easier at that point to bring BYU on-board as a football-only than optimize for their travel/scheduling demands, which means maybe you need to add another football-only to get back to an even number. You're relaxing logistical concerns while still expanding your footprint and hopefully, adding revenue. If UConn basketball was that big of a deal we wouldn't be in the situation we're in.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but it would actually make more sense than a lot of things that have happened in CR.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only definitive I've seen in those statements is the NBE would accept UConn for all sports but football if football found another home. Prior to this it was stated more than once that as long as we played FCS football we would not be considered. This is a change in position by the NBE, not UConn and my guess is they don't want to miss the boat (adding us) if the B-12 destroys the AAC but doesn't take us.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Just for sheets and giggles someone should ask blauds and/or katz if the Big East would consider taking UMass for all non-football sports.

Reaction Score
The only definitive I've seen in those statements is the NBE would accept UConn for all sports but football if football found another home. Prior to this it was stated more than once that as long as we played FCS football we would not be considered. This is a change in position by the NBE, not UConn and my guess is they don't want to miss the boat (adding us) if the B-12 destroys the AAC but doesn't take us.

When did anyone from the Big East say UConn wouldn't be considered if they were still playing football?

Reaction Score
This is all simply noise. Again, before you overreact gage where this information is coming from. Talking to a retired tv exec who has no skin in the game said matter of factly, that no list without BYU and UConn at the top can be taken seriously. The gap between these two schools is as wide as the revenue their respective departments generate respectively. Football clearly matters most, but so to does brand recognition. There is only one school you can throw on national tv in the winter(men's or women's) vs the Big12 best and garner national interest and a solid rating.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain all of this is as simple as:

Big 12 sends out feelers and formally asks schools to submit their candidacy for two scenarios 1) All Sports to join the big 12 2) Football only to join the big 12. They wouldn't limit this request to only the schools that would be reasonable additions in scenario 2 but only in scenario 2. UConn receives that request and does their own due diligence and makes sure the Big East would take their Olympics. The Big east says of course. That info leaks.

Reaction Score
It does seem insane, but if you take UConn football-only, you still get to put your TV Texas/Oklahome games in NY/CT, but you don't spend a ton of money sending your field hockey team to Storrs. I don't see it happening, but I'd gladly go to basketball games against PC, Villanova, Georgetown, Creighton, etc. over ECU, Tulane, and USF.

Reaction Score
But you would crawl over broken glass to play in a league with WVU, or Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, BCU, and VTech, schools that actually stabbed UCONN in the back.
Ahhh...I was wondering when you were gonna crawl out of your hole. Yup...they were the lucky ones that got a life ring...those other schools that you rave about and bow down to royal screwed over the BE and eventually caused its demise..all while
Leeching boat loads of $$ off of those schools you just mentioned and UConn.

Reaction Score
Say Cincinnati and BYU are at the top of their wish list. Maybe it's easier at that point to bring BYU on-board as a football-only than optimize for their travel/scheduling demands, which means maybe you need to add another football-only to get back to an even number. You're relaxing logistical concerns while still expanding your footprint and hopefully, adding revenue. If UConn basketball was that big of a deal we wouldn't be in the situation we're in.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but it would actually make more sense than a lot of things that have happened in CR.

Among all the plausible explanations, this seems to make the most sense. Doesn't mean it's the most probable - maybe full membership has higher odds - but it does at least explain the possibility of partial membership. It does speak to how important BYU apparently is to the Big 12 (their attendance figures for football blow me away based on their student enrollment statistics). If BYU is partial due to the Sunday issue, then maybe Huskies partial makes sense for both parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom